Marwyn has to be a dud, right?

Good Guy Garlan

I don't think anyone's expecting Dany to rush North to defeat the Others as soon as she arrives at Westeros, mainly because she's gonna be busy Dancing down South and this in turn would allow the Others to keep gathering their power until the Final Showdown. Like, I think it makes sense structurally to have the Dance 2.0 first, and then the War for the Dawn or whatever.

But we know Marwyn is supposedly rushing to Dany's side to tell her not only that she's the Princess that Was Promised/Azor Ahai, but also that she and her dragons are urgently needed up North where the corpses are rising.

So something's got to prevent Marwyn from telling her this, right? Or do you see Dany actually heeding Marwyn's advice, going North, fighting the Others, and then marching South to meet Aegon?

Add to that the fact that he's already done work to move the plot forward by serving as Sam's bridge to the Citadel, introducing him to the glass candles, and pointing him toward magic as a useful avenue of research. Characters have been killed off after serving less of a purpose than that.

In trying to think of how some of the popular theories might play out simultaneously, I'm starting to realise that there are too many balls in the air for us to be able to reliably predict where they all land. Considered in isolation, it makes perfect sense, for instance, that Euron should sneak up behind Victarion and steal that dragon... but then how does that impact the theory that Aegon's gonna take King's Landing and Oldtown and such?

It's too complicated, it's all... fractal. And stuff.

So with Marwyn, who knows? There's any number of different ways this could go down. I don't see him being a dud character, but GRRM is not above introducing someone just to kill them off - e.g. wossname, The Soiled Knight - so what the fuck. Maybe he gets to Meereen to find Dany is still missing. Maybe he never gets there at all because a pirate king in the stepstones nicks his ship. Maybe he gets there and Moqorro stabs him. Who knows?

Add to that the fact that he's already done work to move the plot forward by serving as Sam's bridge to the Citadel, introducing him to the glass candles, and pointing him toward magic as a useful avenue of research. Characters have been killed off after serving less of a purpose than that.

Dead man sailing.

I think he has to get to Essos before dying, if only because we have no POV character to follow him right now. He was originally mentioned in book one so I don't think you can kill that guy off page after that amount of buildup.

This has nothing to do with OP, went off on a tangent after reading Marwyn's awoiaf page :dunno:

Queen Daenerys Targaryen's Small Council:

Hand of the Queen-Tyrion Lannister

Lord Commander of the Queensguard-Brienne of Tarth

Master of Coin-Samwell Tarly

Mistress of Laws-Arianne Martell

Master of Whisperers-Jaqen H'ghar

Master of Ships-Euron Greyjoy

Grand Maester-Marwyn

I personally don't think Dany is going back to Mereen so I think Marwyn will run into Tyrion if anyone. I don't know if I think he will be a dud but I doubt he will be this all powerful dude, he will probably be competing to be Danys main advisor with Tyrion Moqorro and maybe Quaithe even shows back up.

Edit: Maybe he will help Tyrion bind Viserion.

I don't think anyone's expecting Dany to rush North to defeat the Others as soon as she arrives at Westeros, mainly because she's gonna be busy Dancing down South and this in turn would allow the Others to keep gathering their power until the Final Showdown. Like, I think it makes sense structurally to have the Dance 2.0 first, and then the War for the Dawn or whatever.

But we know Marwyn is supposedly rushing to Dany's side to tell her not only that she's the Princess that Was Promised/Azor Ahai, but also that she and her dragons are urgently needed up North where the corpses are rising.

So something's got to prevent Marwyn from telling her this, right? Or do you see Dany actually heeding Marwyn's advice, going North, fighting the Others, and then marching South to meet Aegon?

Since we don't really know much about Marwyn, except what he's told us himself and the odd line here and there (MMD comes to mind, but I'm sure I'm missing at least one other - Qyburn, maybe?) - what if he has no intention of telling Dany what Sam saw? At least, not yet. What if he's going to deliver only half of Aemon's message - that she's the PtwP/AA and leave out the rest. Whether he leaves out the rest because the rest doesn't fit into his plans (whatever those may be) or leaves it out "for now" and tells her about the Others once she (who probably hasn't ever seen snow) will understand the idea of "freaking cold" much better than she could in Essos. Cause right now (especially with Tyrion, theoretically, making it to her before Marwyn does) she'd probably look at stories of the Others as a "scary" story and not as an actual threat. And having grown up in relatively warm places, she won't fully understand the threat of the Others until she's waist deep in snow and trying to prevent frostbite.

Side note: As a Canadian, I have tried to explain "freaking cold" to a Filipino before - until they've lived here a full year, they have NO IDEA what "cold" is :D

Maybe he has no intention of telling her any of it - he's just using Aemon's message (and his body) as his "foot in the door" and now (with no Sam to contradict him) he can tell her whatever he wants, and Marwyn can say HE was the one who was travelling with Aemon when Aemon died, and leave Sam and his part out, completely.

Marwyn influenced a lot of storylines before he even appeared. He was an early influence on Oberyn, so has probably in some way influenced the Dorne storyline. He was Qyburn's mentor so has influenced Jaime's storyline and Kings Landing storyline. If Mirri Maz Duur woke the dragons with magic, as some believe, he might have taught her that magic so that's already a huge influence on Dany's story. And I have a personal crackpot (based solely on the fact he is known to frequent Oldtown brothels) that Satin could also be Marwyn's man, perhaps even his son, giving him influence on the Wall. So he is certainly no dud.

It would make sense for Dany to go North first if she isn't going to ally with Aegon and she wants to avoid another field of fire.

I believe Marwyn is the perfumed seneschal Quaithe spoke of in her prophecy. If this turns out to be true, I'm not sure we can wholly trust whatever he says to Dany. Maybe she figures this out too and tells Drogon to roast him. Who knows? Or maybe Dany heeds his advice and pulls her head out of her butt...... Unlikely, but it's a possibility.

Considering Marwyn the Mage is sporting glass candles, is in possession of a valyrian steel staff, valyrian steel rings, and a valyrian steel mask, and was the mentor to Mirri Maaz Durr, Id say he has some reputable abilities in the form of Blood Magic.

He's even theorized as being the sorcerer that cut Varys, way back when.

No, he definitely serves purpose, and if Daenerys can see past the idea that he instructed the same sorceress that inadvertantly took Drogo away from her, he would make a fine asset to her forces.

Daenerys fandoms would do well to acknowledge that Daenerys has the potential to unite The Red Church (Moqorro), The Citadel (Marwyn), The Iron Fleet (Victarian), The Dothraki, and her Dragons when she heads to Westeros.

...and she'll need them, too.

We don't know any of the bolded. All we know is that he is rushing to her. We have no idea why, other than he believed dragons/magic to be important and Dany has them.

ETA: Anyway, Dany has been ignoring advice and information from others for years, why not ignore the new guy, too.

Or maybe he gets intercepted by Euron and we get some knowledge about Eurons plans through marwyns point of view.

But to be honest, I don't think Marwyn will die soon, he didn't outlive his purpose yet. We do know nothing about his plans yet.

Archived