Cricket 29: The Kings of Method Sledging

Xray the Enforcer

Hundred for Root. Off Warner's bowling as well.

ETA: Bairstow will be pretty disappointed with picking out the fielder there, looked like he was well placed to make his first test hundred.

Wood doesn't look ecstatic about having to come out as nightwatchman either.

Clarke's post-match interview was an embarrassment. Claiming that it was all down to the pitch and if he'd won the toss the situation would be reversed ignores Australia's total refusal to change the way they play on an utterly standard English pitch. I also imagine his refusal to defend the team selection won't go down well with the people who are in charge,

There was almost no time to get on here and comment this morning local time, although X-Ray was with me in real time on Facebook.  Incredible first session to the day.  That Stokes catch - amazing.  That Australian batting - appalling.  

Listened to the TMS interview with Clarke after the close of play, and his answers were a little terse, to put it mildly.

Anyone with tickets for Sunday and Monday should be checking for refunds and booking alternative entertainment.

Australia will be batting at some point tomorrow I would imagine and this will all be done and dusted by Saturday tea I reckon..

It's probably for the best that Anderson was injured on his favourite ground, Australia would have been lucky to get 0 if he'd been at the other end from Broad.

I wonder if the first hour of play was the worst hour in Australian cricket history, I certainly can't think of any worse? That was a batting collapse to rank up there with most abject. Broad did bowl very well but I wouldn't say he was unplayable, the pitch was helpful but it seemed a fairly typical Trent Bridge pitch, instead it was just the batting which was utterly hapless. Great innings from Root and Bairstow as well, they both played really well although it's a shame Bairstow missed out on his chance to score a first century.

I think what has been particularly impressive about the English bowling in the last couple of matches is that they've consistently caused serious problems for Australia but it's been a different bowler leading the way each time - Anderson in the first Edgbaston innings, Finn in the second and now Broad here.

Please may this usher in a lengthy karmic period of bad form for Aussie, in consequence of them being the worst team for sportsmanship in the history of sport with their outrageous levels of sledging.

I'm only sorry that it's England teaching Aussie a lesson, since the arrogance coming from the English media at winning the Ashes is only a bit more bearable. 

Well, we have been hobbling along for a bit and masking it with good individual performances (Smith for the past year, Clarke before him).

This time Australia has been exposed and there is no hero - we just really can't play good swing. People talk about the subcontinent being the hardest away fixtures, but for us it really seems to be England. And it's not just this series - most Ashes series in England in the past ten years (starting from 2005) our batsmen have been very suspect.

This time Australia has been exposed and there is no hero - we just really can't play good swing. People talk about the subcontinent being the hardest away fixtures, but for us it really seems to be England. And it's not just this series - most Ashes series in England in the past ten years (starting from 2005) our batsmen have been very suspect.

Lots of teams do find batting in England hard (frequently including England themselves). I think over the last decade South Africa, Sri Lanka and India are the only touring teams to win series in England (as far as I can remember) and only the South Africans have a winning record overall. That said, most of the touring teams have had at least some players who look like they can play the moving ball.

I'm only sorry that it's England teaching Aussie a lesson, since the arrogance coming from the English media at winning the Ashes is only a bit more bearable.

At least you get to point out that New Zealand have been the more formidable Southern Hemisphere opposition this year.

ETA - I'm sure fans of statistics are going to love today as much as England supporters will, but the statistic that this was apparently the shortest first innings in the entire history of Test cricket is particularly damning.

Thanks Hereward - saved me from typing out a longer post. Truly pathetic post-match comments from Clarke.

I do feel somewhat sorry for Voges, he has been a great servant of West Australian cricket. To see him dismissed to a catch like that...ouch.

Thanks Hereward - saved me from typing out a longer post. Truly pathetic post-match comments from Clarke.

I do feel somewhat sorry for Voges, he has been a great servant of West Australian cricket. To see him dismissed to a catch like that...ouch.

Heh.  I said to a colleague this morning that it was just the cricket gods answering his catch to get rid of Cook earlier in the series.

That catch from Stokes was fantastic.  Aggers, on TMS, said it was "an outrageous catch" about 8 times in a row.

Some additional points from Day 1:

• Weird selection from Australia. A fifth bowler is pretty important when half of the attack (i.e. the two Mitches) are better employed as strike bowlers rather than stock bowlers. 
  • Adam Lyth should change his name to "the walking outside edge". He now has a worse test batting record than Broad. 
  • Bairstow looked pretty good. Not sure he is a long-term option that high up the order, but I'm willing to be proven wrong. 
  • I'm worried about Shaun Marsh as a long-term fixture in the Aussie batting line-up. I've always loved watching him bat, plus he is West Australian and pretty attractive. But seven ducks in 26 test innings (or something like that), is not good enough really. 

Good bowling from Australia in this first session, but it's only going to hasten the possibility of a two-day Test.

If Starc is swinging it and getting lots of wickets, we'll be lucky to get better than our first innings against the English attack doing the same.

Disappointing batting collapse from England. They really should have ground the Aussies further into the dust. I hope they haven't decided its already over. I remember us skittling them out for just over a 100 at Edgbaston in 1997 and then seeing them score 477 in the second innings. That made for a very nervous expectation of the run chase and I don't think my aged heart would cope these days.

Archived