Supergirl TV show: anticipation or wary?

BlackBethaRidesAgain

8 minutes ago, Quoth said:

Thought the ep was really cute. And the whole other worlds/multiverse plot was well handles; not clunky at all.

Loved Kara's squeal when Barry got them all ice cream. :lol:

Yes, it was cute. And then I watched the new Flash episode...

I loved how Barry complained that there is no Star Labs, when the DOE base essentially serves the same function, which includes a complete lack of security. At least Star Labs is run by civilians, but there's no excuse here.

I wonder in Barry's timeline where this episode fits because, while he may not have known about Krypton up until now, I would think he would attempt to determine if Superman or Supergirl do exist in his universe, but they're just in hiding. Because speed is a wonderful thing, but when you add all the other powers, too, Zoom should not stand a chance against a Kryptonian.

It was kind of disappointing that Barry immediately set about corrupting Kara, what with his bribing her with obviously stolen ice cream.

Of course Barry would immediately check whether there are counterparts to people he knows on this earth, and he must have been a bit disappointed that nobody whose life he could ruin presented themselves after a cursory search.

I also can't decide whether having the villains be two people who want revenge on a co-worker and boss respectively wasn't maybe aiming a bit too low in the stakes department. I guess the fact that one had to break out the other from a high security government facility did add to their menace.

I've finally caught up on the entire season.  It's got lots of promise. The effects are decent. The story is decent, though, though suffers from not being able to utilize even the word Superman. 

I thought early on that this was supposed to be the earth of Man of Steel, but that's obviously not the case. 

The Flash crossover was well done and I refuse to let you nay sayers who harp about all and everything on these shows get me down... :P

Kara's ice cream squeal was definitely a highlight of that episode.  I also liked how Barry revealed his identity to every single person he met and I've got to think they're making fun of how often he reveals his "secret" identity on his own show.  Overall, Supergirl really seems like the most fun of the comic book shows on right now.

I do really enjoy Supergirl. It has flaws and often the writing is very hacky, but honestly I believe in her struggle far more than I do with Superman, and on TV way more than the Flash. The show does tend to preach it's feminism a little more than I'd like, it's much better to show these things, but I like that the message is there.

I think my favourtie moment is the Kara/Alex-hug with Hank there, it was a nice family moment about forgiveness. On the CW that'd be brooding angst for weeks undermining what really makes these guys heroes.

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Mandy said:

I personally think a show moving ANYWHERE besides CBS is a good move.  As I understand it, CBS shows can't be streamed on phones/Chromecast without the CBS app and logging in with your cable provider's password or some such. I'm not paying for cable, and I'm certainly not downloading a special app and paying more money to watch CBS shows, so maybe I'll be catching up on this one in the future.

So it's good they are cutting the budget?

Apparently there's a very high chance that Calista Flockhart will bail. She's not interested in moving to Vancouver. They may drop her back to being a recurring character though.

10 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Why would she have to move?

To film 20 episodes of the show would take the better part of six months, so it would be required to move for half the year. If she's switching to a recurring role, only appearing in 3 or 4 episodes or something, that's much more manageable.

This is why The X-Files moved production to LA, David Duchovney got annoyed having to spend half the year or more in Canada and the show was big enough to accomodate the switch.

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

It's a bit of a shame they've already established that this takes place on a different earth than the Arrowverse, I'm guessing crossovers will be easier now. Maybe a Crisis type event on Flash could fold them into one?

Yeah but even so they'd have had to juggle elements like "why isn't superman ever mentioned in the CW shows"?

If I were them I'd start the new season with a crossover that merges her world into CW world. They could even use it as a way of losing cast members who depart due to filming location change.

I didn't realise CBS and CW were related. The fact that they are makes it even more stupid that the show wasn't set within Arrow continuity from the start.

On the downside I won't be watching any of them next season. I hope they don't wind up imitating the comics by turning the shows into a circle-jerk where they hope in order to watch one show you'll have to watch all of them. I saw some of that creeping into the start of Flash and Arrow this year with setting up Legends. Flash has then went on to be bad of its own accord.

I am not surprised the show moved to the CW. It was kind of a stretch for CBS with its normal line-up of police procedurals and predictable sitcoms. That is not to say CBS shows are not enjoyable, but it doesn't appear that shows outside the realm of sitcom or police/detective ideas make it past season 1 too often. Maybe it is a more conservative channel? I don't know, but I am happy Supergirl is still continuing. It isn't a perfect show, but I am rooting for it. 

14 minutes ago, Mandy said:

The CW has gotten a lot of crap, but it had also had some great shows and some pretty good shows.  Veronica Mars, Gilmore Girls, Smallville, Supernatural, the 100 just to name a few.  I'm hopeful that this could improve the show.  Now that Flash has gone from bad to god awful, I could use a new fluffy superhero show.

I couldn't get through the first 4 episodes of the 100. Yikes.

The 100 gets better, it's had a bit of a dip in the 3rd series but I think it's getting better again.

As for Supergirl, I must confess I enjoy it. It's like Flash S1 except Kara is likeable. It's campy and silly, and sometimes the feminism message is a little tactlessly done, but it just makes me feel good.

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

The 100 gets better, it's had a bit of a dip in the 3rd series but I think it's getting better again.

As for Supergirl, I must confess I enjoy it. It's like Flash S1 except Kara is likeable. It's campy and silly, and sometimes the feminism message is a little tactlessly done, but it just makes me feel good.

I don't watch The Flash, but i did enjoy Supergirl decent enough. Like you said Kara is likeable and that's the main reason why I've stuck around for it. I enjoy Gotham the most, but that's not saying much considering the other superhero show I watch is LoT and that is just horrid.

Getting a bit verbose there JB. That's three whole sentences in one post.

I'll keep watching SG, but for the most part I've really given up on non-Netflix superhero TV shows being actually all around good quality TV. I'm only watching them because I like superheroes. I gave up on LoT after 2 episodes. I've stopped watching Arrow. I'm hanging on to Flash by a thread. I stopped watching Gotham after about 6 episodes (it's boring knowing that everyone important in the show lives for at least another 20 years when Bruce finally gets his bat on).

Actually, the best of the lot is Constantine and that got axed. Maybe Marvel might do Constantine a favour: if Dr. Strange is wildly succesful, Constantine might get some re-run/streaming love and they might un-axe it. Captain Kirk liked it.

Actually iZombie is the best non-Netflix show, and it rivals the Netflix shows, but I guess technically that's not a superhero show.

Just now, Mandy said:

What is LoT?

I couldn't do Gotham.  Some of the acting was too ridiculous and over the top.  Arrow got boring around the beginning of season 3 and, as you said, the Flash I watch purely to make fun of it and reading the thread here is more entertaining than the actual show. iZombie was decent but also pretty boring.

Netflix superheroes have spoiled me for network.

Legends of Tomorrow.

You hate watch Flash?

1 minute ago, Mandy said:

Does anyone watch it any other way?  My only love is for Cisco and, by a smaller degree, Caitlin.  I pretty much HATE everyone else on that show.  I guess I don't hate Jessie yet.  I will give her some time.

I've never seen it just curious if it's really that bad. Btw, I wouldn't bother with LoT. It's pretty cringey.

11 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Getting a bit verbose there JB. That's three whole sentences in one post.

I'll keep watching SG, but for the most part I've really given up on non-Netflix superhero TV shows being actually all around good quality TV. I'm only watching them because I like superheroes. I gave up on LoT after 2 episodes. I've stopped watching Arrow. I'm hanging on to Flash by a thread. I stopped watching Gotham after about 6 episodes (it's boring knowing that everyone important in the show lives for at least another 20 years when Bruce finally gets his bat on).

Actually, the best of the lot is Constantine and that got axed. Maybe Marvel might do Constantine a favour: if Dr. Strange is wildly succesful, Constantine might get some re-run/streaming love and they might un-axe it. Captain Kirk liked it.

Actually iZombie is the best non-Netflix show, and it rivals the Netflix shows, but I guess technically that's not a superhero show.

I think I heard Constantine would be a regular in season 2 of LOT? Might turn out leaving his show axed would be the lesser of two evils. He was good in the episode of Arrow though - it's not hard to be a guest star from a non CW show and shine though.

Archived