[BOOK & TV SPOILERS] The Expanse on SyFy

Xray the Enforcer

Outch ! Entirely my fault, it's in the title of the thread actually, but I didnt know Miller was to bite the dust (I'm sadly not reading the books, but I plan on fixing that as soon as possible !)... well, I'll still appreciate the show without restraints (and I dont think it diminishes my interest in that story - which is huge !) and I'm curious to see how that will happen.

Perhaps we need a show only thread, but, whataver. 

Tonight's episode was pretty neat and pretty far from the books. Amos kicked ass, we got the voice actor for Adam jensen as the actor for the spy and we got donkey balls.

Still looks like we won't be getting much past eros this season.

I love that we are getting an explanation for the ambush in Julie mao's place.

20 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I really enjoyed the episode (especially Avasalara meeting Holden's "mom"), but it did feel like filler to me.  However, there was enough character development for me not to mind.

5 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I really enjoyed the episode (especially Avasalara meeting Holden's "mom"), but it did feel like filler to me.  However, there was enough character development for me not to mind.

I would've preferred Avasarala and Holden just telling another character about their backstory like Bobbie eventually and Naomi, respectively. That scene just felt awkward. Now, if show Avasarala was closer to book Avasarala, I wouldn't have had issues. Avasarala is much more protective and motherly in the books and that scene would've made more sense. I'm not quite sure who show Avasarala is yet.

However, I did like the addition of the spy and MCRN possibly boarding the Roci. That exposition worked for me as opposed to the Avasarala and Alice Holden meeting. I love that we're seeing the crew of the Roci learning about the corvette as the show progresses.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Tonight's episode was pretty neat and pretty far from the books. Amos kicked ass, we got the voice actor for Adam jensen as the actor for the spy and we got donkey balls.

I think Eros will work as a finale although I'd hope it doesn't mean season 2 is just finishing off leviathan wakes.

I think Ava's scenes were worth it just for the bautiful shot of her in that red outfit walking through the snow. I think they should have had all the parents there if they were deciding to keep the co-op family. At least 3 of them should have been present but i understand how that could be tricky to film/script.

Amos was excellent. I don't recall him being so cold in the first few books but the most recent book has made me rethink a lot of his scenes in the series. I liked how "the churn" was mentioned too. I do think the show is incorporating a lot of elements from later in the series in terms of background info which is fine.

The cast is generally working really well. Steven Strait is doing a fine job with Holden who could so easily be annoying on screen.

The spy is another example of how this show seems to almost go out of its way to make you like side-characters (I'm still missing Lopez) and the actors really treat it like they are key players (whereas sometimes I get the impression guest stars aren't as invested).

I'm still enjoying all the small touches. Favourite out of the last few episodes was how all the establishing shots of the rocinante were at odd angles/vectors. I thought that was a great way of highlighting how space is kind of directionless and the ships aren't really built for streamlining.

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

So, I wasn't hallucinating while I was watching this episode. Good to hear that in fact, he was Jensen's voice actor.

This episode was really fantastic.  I thought the Montana scenes would be 100% stupid, but they were probably the best.  It's interesting how much the meeting between Crisjen and Elise accomplished.  World building, character development, plot advancement.  One thing I really liked about it is that it was much like The Churn.  The Churn made me look at Amos' scenes a bit differently, it adjusted my perception.  Elise's commentary about Holden, how he was raised, and how he left the farm sort of readjusts my perception of some of his dialogue and scenes.  In a good way.  It has a way of shedding off some of that blandness Holden's character has.  Really enjoyed it.

Also, ubiquitous!  Nice touch.

13 hours ago, red snow said:

I think Ava's scenes were worth it just for the bautiful shot of her in that red outfit walking through the snow. 

Yeah, loved that too. Her outfit was awesome. I've now come to terms with the fact that Show Ava is a different character from the books. But I'm really warming to her. 

Overall, I think this was the best one yet. The script was as tight as a shark's arse, and all the actors brought their A-game. Scene after scene of brilliant performances. If Thomas Jane doesn't win something for his portrayal of Miller, it will be a tragedy. Dude's breaking my heart.

And any reservations I had about the casting of Amos have been shredded in the Churn. They're all terrified of him, but pretty soon they're going to realise how handy he is to have at your back.

Donkey Balls!

Good catch.  I remember thinking it was really strange that he was on the train alone.  Usually it's packed.  Now that you mention the blue light, I also recall that he had his thumb on a button, when he was making the message for Julie's dad.  

Another great episode. Loved Amos's churn speech, and finally got a glimpse of potty mouth Avasarala. And I agree with above comments about Miller, Avasarala and the farm, and strong secondary characters.

The small poetic part of my brain decided that a worthy comparison could be made between how this show is unfolding the story and space travel. While in many other shows/films, the advancement of the plot can happen at ludicrous speeds, which is coupled with unrealistic not yet possible spacecraft travel, showing us ships zipping back and forth between planets that seem to just be next to each other, The Expanse has taken it slow, much like a real spacecraft slowly makes its way through the vastness of space. While slow, its plot does steadily advances, and is well balanced by strong character development and dazzling visuals. It takes the Roci more than a full episode to get from A to B, yet I still cannot find it boring. The show is putting much focus on the journey, though for anyone who has read the books, you know that there is an amazing destination, as it always is when a real spacecraft reaches its destination to find something new and wondrous.

Ok, musing finished. I am excited for what's ahead.

If this show fails, and i hope it does not, it will be due to the pace. We should be seeing vomit zombies by this point. I like all the world building, and if 5+ seasons was a sure thing i would have no issue with book 1 being cut into two seasons. However, fan engagement seems to be dropping off (i base this on the comment sections for episode reviews on various sites) and a lot of people are talking about the glacial pace. I hope they have something up their sleeves for these final few eps.   

Cas Anvar (Alex) on Afterbuzz's after show for Eps 2 & 3.

I watched the aftershows for Eps. 4&5 and Ep 6 too.  The main host notices a lot of details that I missed, so kind of interesting.  He's starting the read the first book recently, but the other two hosts are show-only.

ETA:  Cas hilariously spoils Shed's death for the hosts. Maria's expression when she realizes what he said is priceless.

Archived