Awards Season 2016: Movie edition (Update: BAFTA Winners, Oscar Noms, SPIRIT Winners)

Mladen

11 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Anyone who wants to be a serious Oscar contender will send out DVDs of their movies to all and sundry who have Academy votes (which is why you see a lot of those DVD rips on...parallel... streaming services, not that I ever use those services of course. Still it does require those voters to bother themselves with watching movies that they get sent that they haven;t already gone out of their way to see because they want to see a movie.

I don't think lack of seeing the movie is Beast of No Nation's problem. There are plenty of limited release / low grossing movies with nominations in at least one category. It also got nominations for the Golden Globes, so it's not like the movie's been forgotten by anyone.

Well, I know it is a custom to send FYC DVDs to the Academy members (and other award-giving bodies), but the question remains how much of these movies do members actually see. As for this specific case, I am not sure...

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Lol, Tom Hardy wins a critics choice award for acting in Mad Max.

Instantly made me thing of this:

Well, people seem to believe that it was for his overall work this year, although it can't erase the fact that someone "very smart" thought he should be awarded for Mad Max. Sometimes, these people are not even watching what they are circling.

I actually question why "best acting in an action movie" is even a thing. Action movie isn't really a real genre. I can understand splitting awards between drama and comedy, but an action movie is either a drama or a comedy with a particular focus on action. The critics also give an award for best sci-fi or horror movie, but don't give an acting award for sci-for or horror. Sci-fi and Horror have just as legit claim to consideration as a separate acting genre as action. And given the sci-fi/horror winner as a movie (Ex machina) one could argue that the acting performances in sci-fi / horror may rather deserve more recognition than performances in action movies. Also sci-fi/horror is a terrible award category. 

Tom Hardy's body of work for 2015: gruff grunty dudes, though I haven't seen Legend so perhaps his performance in that is more nuanced. He's actually had much better dramatic years than 2015 I think.

5 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

actually Michael Mann directed Ali

Oh yeah, I may have been conflating Spike directing Denzel in "X", it's been quite a few years since those movies were out. I really liked that "Ali" movie a lot though, I remember that.

Is this the year to call a boycott for lack of racial diversity in nominations? Arguably there's 2 acting performances that are nomination-worthy: Idris Elba and Will Smith. These guys got Golden Globe nominations, but neither of them got Critics' Choice nominations. I already said think Beasts of No Nation got snubbed because it's a Netflix movie that got a small theatrical release for the purpose to qualify for an Oscar. So the snub isn't about race per se. So that leaves Will Smith.

Critics' Choice didn't nominate a single person of colour in any categories that is common with the Oscars. It did nominate a couple of people of colour into other categories, such as Young Actor, and as part of an ensemble cast. It also didn't snub Beasts of No Nation completely (young actor category), but they didn't nominate Idris Elba for supporting actor either.

So arguably this lack of diversity in nominations is just one of those things that will happen from time to time, and the ire should be focused, it it needed focus, on Hollywood itself for having a lack of meaty Oscar-worthy roles for people of colour. I think we have to be beyond nominating people for movie awards in order to meet some expectation of diversity.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is this the year to call a boycott for lack of racial diversity in nominations? Arguably there's 2 acting performances that are nomination-worthy: Idris Elba and Will Smith. These guys got Golden Globe nominations, but neither of them got Critics' Choice nominations. I already said think Beasts of No Nation got snubbed because it's a Netflix movie that got a small theatrical release for the purpose to qualify for an Oscar. So the snub isn't about race per se. So that leaves Will Smith.

Critics' Choice didn't nominate a single person of colour in any categories that is common with the Oscars. It did nominate a couple of people of colour into other categories, such as Young Actor, and as part of an ensemble cast. It also didn't snub Beasts of No Nation completely (young actor category), but they didn't nominate Idris Elba for supporting actor either.

So arguably this lack of diversity in nominations is just one of those things that will happen from time to time, and the ire should be focused, it it needed focus, on Hollywood itself for having a lack of meaty Oscar-worthy roles for people of colour. I think we have to be beyond nominating people for movie awards in order to meet some expectation of diversity.

Agree with you. The issue is more a lack of diverse roles offered by Hollywood than necessarily with the awards (although that isn't to say they haven't been under representative when there were deserving candidates before)

31 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Agree with you. The issue is more a lack of diverse roles offered by Hollywood than necessarily with the awards (although that isn't to say they haven't been under representative when there were deserving candidates before)

This is really where I come down on this as well.  Jada Smith's taped "announcement" (don't know what else you call it) was very heart felt and genuine, but I think the fingers are being pointed in the wrong direction.  The casting directors are far more to blame for this than the voters IMHO.

I did see a stat this morning that the Academy is 92% white, the president of the organization is a black woman.  She said that "major changes" are in the works, but again... is that really serving the acting community of people of color if the response is some version of affirmative action?  Until the diversity of quality acting parts improves, I don't see any meaningful change that can be made.  It needs to be more than just letting Will Smith play Jim West before the awards will change.

Archived