Awards Season 2016: Movie edition (Update: BAFTA Winners, Oscar Noms, SPIRIT Winners)

Mladen

Jups, this is shaping up to be a pretty boring year for the oscars. I'd root for Mad Max if I could muster up the energy, but it's going to get fucked over probably. Hope The Revenant is at least as good as everyone makes it out to be, because that's probably going to be a big winner.

2. Again with Lawrence? 

Probably the first thing that popped in my mind when seeing this list. Where is Alicia Vikander in Ex Machina or Teyonah Parris for her role in Chi-Raq. Heck, even better where is Charlize Theron's Furiosa in this list? I swear Lawrence must have blown every dude in the academy to get this sort of love for her mediocre acting skills. 

Probably the first thing that popped in my mind when seeing this list. Where is Alicia Vikander in Ex Machina or Teyonah Parris for her role in Chi-Raq. Heck, even better where is Charlize Theron's Furiosa in this list? I swear Lawrence must have blown every dude in the academy to get this sort of love for her mediocre acting skills. 

I can't stop to be amazed how popular this girl has to be to pull this nomination. Like, seriously, if there ever was a flop, "Joy" was. Like, seriously mediocre movie, on border with terrible one. Her acting is beyond words... Ellen Pompeo more deserved Globe for her Meredith Grey than Lawrence for "Joy". And, on top of that, the entire line of actresses she had to surpass is amazing. From the living legend Dame Maggie Smith, outstanding Charlize Theron, Rooney Mara and Alicia Vikander... Whoever is her agent, well done, sir...

And it is so frustrating that Carol/Haynes snub is somewhere in the corner of mind. When I fully grasp that...

Jups, this is shaping up to be a pretty boring year for the oscars. I'd root for Mad Max if I could muster up the energy, but it's going to get fucked over probably. Hope The Revenant is at least as good as everyone makes it out to be, because that's probably going to be a big winner.

Nah, it's the Sarah Bullock situation all over again. Hollywood darling has a dramatic painful role involving mental illness (only overshadowed by the "playing a gay character" strategy), cue award.

These awards are rigged, why do you think it took so long for Morgan Freeman to win one, or so long for Scorcese or why Hitchcock NEVER won one.

I'm baffled by the fact that Hardy got a nomination for The Revenant, I thought he was terrible in it. Crazy frontiersman Bane is not a performance worthy of a nomination, much less an Oscar.

Glad to see that Stallone got a nomination for Creed, I'm fairly certain he's going to take it just in the name of legacy, kind of disappointed that Creed didn't get any more love though, I thought it was a fantastic movie.

And it is so frustrating that Carol/Haynes snub is somewhere in the corner of mind. When I fully grasp that...

It came out here yesterday and I'm going to watch it tonight :) I'm looking forward to it :)

Nah, it's the Sarah Bullock situation all over again. Hollywood darling has a dramatic painful role involving mental illness (only overshadowed by the "playing a gay character" strategy), cue award.

Nah, Red not equivalent at all. Lawrence has been nominated like three years in a row now? And won one of those and she's been acting for like five years. Bullock (also a bad actress true) was nominated twice in her entire career, with one win. 

EDIT; She's been nominated three times in four years.

I don't think The Revenant wins much this year, simply because Birdman did last year. Maybe Leo still does because he wasn't involved with Birdman, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Academy writes him off too due to Inarritu fatigue.

I didn't see Trumbo, but Bryan Cranston is incredibly popular in Hollywood, so I think he should actually be a slight favorite.

I don't think The Revenant wins much this year, simply because Birdman did last year. Maybe Leo still does because he wasn't involved with Birdman, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Academy writes him off too due to Inarritu fatigue.

I didn't see Trumbo, but Bryan Cranston is incredibly popular in Hollywood, so I think he should actually be a slight favorite.

+ it's a movie about Hollywood isn't it? And I heard it was a pretty mediocre movie too. So that's like three out of three criteria to cross off the Oscar checklist. If only Trumbo suffered from some physical disability and was somehow involved with the Holocaust, we could be sure of a win then! :P 

+ it's a movie about Hollywood isn't it? And I heard it was a pretty mediocre movie too. So that's like three out of three criteria to cross off the Oscar checklist. If only Trumbo suffered from some physical disability and was somehow involved with the Holocaust, we could be sure of a win then! :P 

More than just about Hollywood, its a true story about someone in Hollywood taking a moral stand (refusing to testify to HUAC and name supposed communists ) and becoming a martyr for it (getting blacklisted).

So actually it should probably be considered the overwhelming favorite.

+ it's a movie about Hollywood isn't it? And I heard it was a pretty mediocre movie too. So that's like three out of three criteria to cross off the Oscar checklist. If only Trumbo suffered from some physical disability and was somehow involved with the Holocaust, we could be sure of a win then!

And it would put Cranston one award away from an EGOT.

Sicario must be pretty damn impressive  to even be mentioned at having a chance against The Revenant. The latter is one of the best looking films I've ever seen.  Considering it was all shot with natural light except one campfire scene), I think Lubezki has it in the bag.

It was filmed using a bounce as well. It was also too dark in places. Neither the cinematographer, nor the director really had a full grasp of things. There were dozens of movies this year that worked with light better, but this is the gimmick, and it will probably be unjustly rewarded. 

There were beautiful and artistic shots in he Revenant, and then the director went back to the well, over and over again with the same thing until the entire feature felt like a cheap excuse to get the wow shot. 

Whenever the camera work in the movie makes you thik about the camera work, and not the story, it has failed in its job. Lubezki and 
Iñárritu are more concerned about us looking at them than at their story,

It was filmed using a bounce as well. It was also too dark in places. Neither the cinematographer, nor the director really had a full grasp of things. There were dozens of movies this year that worked with light better, but this is the gimmick, and it will probably be unjustly rewarded. 
 There were beautiful and artistic shots in he Revenant, and then the director went back to the well, over and over again with the same thing until the entire feature felt like a cheap excuse to get the wow shot. 

Whenever the camera work in the movie makes you thik about the camera work, and not the story, it has failed in its job. Lubezki and 
Iñárritu are more concerned about us looking at them than at their story,

Pretty much no one who saw it agrees with you. Maybe you have more intimate knowledge on lighting but I thought the affect was brilliant and brought about maximum realism. Not to mention how gorgeous all the shots were and how creative the camera work to make you feel apart of the scenes. The fact I think about the camera work isn't a failure, it's a triumph because I'm recognizing how amazing it is and how it affected my feeling in a given scene.

As for Lawrence, from all reports, she was the only thing good about Joy. I haven't seen the movie but most reviews I read pointed out her performance as being excellent but the story around it was lacking. I do think Theron should have been nominated.

I'm thrilled for George Miller. I was really worried he wouldn't get the directing nod.

I'd have to disagree with earlier posts labeling this Oscar season as a snoozer. I'm rooting for DiCaprio and Sly Stallone. Also have to disagree over the critics of Jennifer Lawrence. Her performances in "Winters Bone" and "Silver Linings" were both really impressive imo. I havent seen "Joy" or whatever she's nominated in this season and I found the "Hunger Games" stuff as only mildly entertaining. But both the "Winters Bone" and "Silver Linings" performances by Lawrence constituted some heavy hitting and major character development/portrayal, just fantastic performances.

I'd have to disagree with earlier posts labeling this Oscar season as a snoozer. I'm rooting for DiCaprio and Sly Stallone. Also have to disagree over the critics of Jennifer Lawrence. Her performances in "Winters Bone" and "Silver Linings" were both really impressive imo. I havent seen "Joy" or whatever she's nominated in this season and I found the "Hunger Games" stuff as only mildly entertaining. But both the "Winters Bone" and "Silver Linings" performances by Lawrence constituted some heavy hitting and major character development/portrayal, just fantastic performances.

Lawrence is an excellent actress. I think people are just tired of a 25 year old nominated 4 times in the last 5 years she's been acting when you have some great actresses that were snubbed. There is some serious Lawrence fatigue.

^^^Yeah I agree, the fatigue aspect vs the snubs is totally a point. But to extend that to calling her a bad actress as some posters have, here and in the past, is tiring as well. It's not her fault she get's nominated and I doubt it had to do with sexual favors, another accusation. Tsk,tsk.

Some surprises for me. Surprised that The Force Awakens wasn't in Best picture category. Can have up to 10 nominees and they only had 8. So you have a critically well received movie that is breaking every sales record in the world and it's not even given one of the two open slots just out of courtesy (I mean what defines Best Picture?)? The same for Straight outta Compton. That was a movie that made you think and feel and again, you had two open slots? I have heard nothing but good reviews about Creed, and again, not in there.

And not a single actor of color was good enough to make the list? Not one?

It just baffles me how these are picked every year. Nightmares of Ishtar are dancing in my head.

Or in another genre, Mettalica losing the Grammy for best heavy metal album to Jethro Tull. One of the greatest heavy metal albums of all time loses.

I am thinking of seeing The Revenant this weekend, hearing good things about it, but may have to wear a diaper, long movie! I am one of those people who refuses to leave during a movie for fear of missing something.

^^^Yeah I agree, the fatigue aspect vs the snubs is totally a point. But to extend that to calling her a bad actress as some posters have, here and in the past, is tiring as well. It's not her fault she get's nominated and I doubt it had to do with sexual favors, another accusation. Tsk,tsk.

Hey, they don't need to be sexual favours per se. Perhaps she helped every single member of the Academy move or clean out their house or paint their white picket fence... She sure as hell didn't get these nominations/prices through acting that's for sure. Although that's also partly the fault the Academy's fault for being hacks who fall for fads like this. When I saw her first in the Hunger Games I thought she was just another vapid pseudoteen actor, but the love she's been getting for mediocre roles in mediocre films is baffling.

Hey, they don't need to be sexual favours per se. Perhaps she helped every single member of the Academy move or clean out their house or paint their white picket fence... She sure as hell didn't get these nominations/prices through acting that's for sure. Although that's also partly the fault the Academy's fault for being hacks who fall for fads like this. When I saw her first in the Hunger Games I thought she was just another vapid pseudoteen actor, but the love she's been getting for mediocre roles in mediocre films is baffling.

I don't agree with you at all. I think she certainly got them from acting though the fact she's an Oscar darling helped. She was excellent in all the movies she was nominated for. The issue is more to do with the people who were nominated who were equally excellent and should get nominated over her.

I'm baffled by the fact that Hardy got a nomination for The Revenant, I thought he was terrible in it. Crazy frontiersman Bane is not a performance worthy of a nomination, much less an Oscar.

Glad to see that Stallone got a nomination for Creed, I'm fairly certain he's going to take it just in the name of legacy, kind of disappointed that Creed didn't get any more love though, I thought it was a fantastic movie.

Agreed about Hardy. Thought he was horrible. 

JLaw is terribly overrated too.

Archived