"Era of Prosperity" - The "Game of Thrones" inspired history of the Romanov dynasty

HexMachina

https://meduza.io/en/lion/2016/02/08/russia-plans-a-game-of-thrones-clone-based-on-the-time-of-troubles?utm_source=Russian+Life&utm_campaign=9835bf4d2e-Russia_File_Oct_08&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2e99ba62b2-9835bf4d2e-191221437&mc_cid=9835bf4d2e&mc_eid=f59f78c867

So this cropped up in my emails today, from a totally non-GoT related source i may add. Sounds like a rather huge project to me - big screen movie and 12 seasons? Guess it is set to cover some 450 years or so. 

Thought i would share with the board, discuss away (though there isnt much to discuss yet...)

Well that is ambitious. I would certainly be interested to watch that first season, considering that it may be the closest to a GoT-style dynastic struggle. But if it does cover the entire Romanov history, it will be more of an anthology series, then. Not to mention that the ending will be depressing as hell.

47 minutes ago, unJon said:

Funny I have preordered a book called The Romanovs: 1613-1918. Had awesome reviews and billed as covering some crazy stuff

I saw that advertised the other day and was thinking of buying it too. Damnit TFL, stop advertising, I give you enough money already! 

Anyway, I'm also curious about the film thing too, not sure why they need a movie to kick things off. Possibly budgetary reasons?

I wonder how the Kremlin is going to spin this one. Obviously, the awesome Viking film they made is there to lay claim on Vladimir the Great's legacy and therefore the Ukraine. I wonder what their specific angle here is. I must be more than just show the greatness of Russia :) 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I wonder how the Kremlin is going to spin this one. Obviously, the awesome Viking film they made is there to lay claim on Vladimir the Great's legacy and therefore the Ukraine. I wonder what their specific angle here is. I must be more than just show the greatness of Russia :) 

Putin to play one of the Tsars, calling it now :P My bets are Peter the Great, or maybe Alexander II :P 

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Putin to play one of the Tsars, calling it now :P My bets are Peter the Great, or maybe Alexander II :P 

What's this "or"? He'll have a recurring role in each season, playing a different tsar or web-spiner. Kinda like Jessica Lange in American Horror Story.

10 hours ago, Corvinus said:

What's this "or"? He'll have a recurring role in each season, playing a different tsar or web-spiner. Kinda like Jessica Lange in American Horror Story.

Personally, I'm mostly looking forward to Putin's take on Catherine the Great :P 

14 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Putin is Anastasia obviously.

Calming wild animals with his sheer charisma?  Shooting lasers from his nipples?  Clearly Putin is Rasputin.

ZOMG!  Typing that I just realized that his name is actually in Rasputin!!!!!  Are we sure that he isn't just the mad sorcerer incarnate????  :stunned: 

4 hours ago, Dofs said:

A Russian answer to Game of Thrones? I give it a 1% chance of being any good.

Only in the loosest sense I think. From what I gather from the various bits I have read it's really the filming and season structure they're modelling on GoT. And, one would hope, fewer dragons and ice zombies too

23 hours ago, Veltigar said:

It's probably very heterosexual too. Maybe the angle is that they can make better TV than the Americans?

I've just watched a BBC documentary on the Romanovs and read Rober Massie's "PEter the great" so I can easily see how someone could make a great TV show out of this. I also like the idea of each season following one of them.

If it's popular they'll probably get michael Hirst to remake it in English.

17 minutes ago, red snow said:

It's probably very heterosexual too. Maybe the angle is that they can make better TV than the Americans?

I've just watched a BBC documentary on the Romanovs and read Rober Massie's "PEter the great" so I can easily see how someone could make a great TV show out of this. I also like the idea of each season following one of them.

If it's popular they'll probably get michael Hirst to remake it in English.

Nyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeettttttt!!!!!!!!

Having just finished watching the BBC's War & Peace, I find this news very intriguing.

I really am wondering what the "inspired by GOT" means in this context. GOT is a fantasy show with dragons, shadowbabies, undead people etc. They are trying to make a historical show, which I believe will not have any of that.

If they just mean that it will have multiple storylines, I am pretty sure this is true for others as well as GOT.

It sounds more like a marketing description than one of content.

Archived