Why were the Boltons never extinguished?

33 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Until they stopped to think "oh fuck, we were their dangerous rivals, too, who's to say we aren't next?".

But the Boltons have rebelled multiple times, burned Winterfell and killed multiple Starks, this is not just a simple house that has rebelled. The Boltons have been threatening the Starks since their reign. I doubt the Northmen will be thinking "oh shit, we could be next!" They will probably be thinking "it's about time,you should've done that thousands of years ago" 

6 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

But the Boltons have rebelled multiple times, burned Winterfell and killed multiple Starks, this is not just a simple house that has rebelled. The Boltons have been threatening the Starks since their reign. I doubt the Northmen will be thinking "oh shit, we could be next!" They will probably be thinking "it's about time,you should've done that thousands of years ago" 

That isn't true, If I've understood you correct.

Most of the wars between the Starks and Boltons were between soverign kings of their own kingdoms and not between liege and rebelling bannerman. As mentioned above there are two known Bolton rebellions against Stark overlords and neither of these might have been as infected as other rebellions were. And its not like Westerosi ALWAYS kills the rebels. The Greyjoys have survived a worse track record than the Boltons, and the Brackens defied the Tullys on at least two major occaions, in both Dance and Blackfyre Rebellion, without that ending them.

4 minutes ago, LionoftheWest said:

That isn't true, If I've understood you correct.

Most of the wars between the Starks and Boltons were between soverign kings of their own kingdoms and not between liege and rebelling bannerman. As mentioned above there are two known Bolton rebellions against Stark overlords and neither of these might have been as infected as other rebellions were. And its not like Westerosi ALWAYS kills the rebels. The Greyjoys have survived a worse track record than the Boltons, and the Brackens defied the Tullys on at least two major occaions, in both Dance and Blackfyre Rebellion, without that ending them.

Even if the Boltons werent constantly waring with the Starks the fact that hey burned Winterfell three times, and flayed multiple Starks is enough to end them plus they were their constant rivals. 

6 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

Even if the Boltons werent constantly waring with the Starks the fact that hey burned Winterfell three times, and flayed multiple Starks is enough to end them plus they were their constant rivals. 

I agree. Boltons deserve to go the Reynes route. Too bad the Boltons never thought to rebel when a ruler like Theon Stark was in charge

They will end now though, there's only Roose and Ramsay, both will hopefully die in the next book.

2 hours ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

I agree. Boltons deserve to go the Reynes route. Too bad the Boltons never thought to rebel when a ruler like Theon Stark was in charge

I am guessing they didn't because he was in charge, it seems like they do it whenever they think they can win, you know, smartly.

I think its because the Boltons have a lot of men and the Dreadfort is a very hard nut to crack. I mean the Starks laid siege to it for two years once. The thing is although I believe they could have taken it and did a Rains of Castamere on the Boltons, the Starks would have taken heavy loses if they tried. So it was just better to make peace with the Boltons.

There is probably no good explanation. Maybe the Bolton threatened the Starks only when there was weak Starks, unable to eradicate them in retaliation. And the Boltons were always very tame at the time of the ruthless Starks. Or the Boltons were nearly as much respected as the Starks (I doubt that, with their practice of flaying people) and the Starks could not eradicate them without loosing the support of a big part of the North. Maybe flaying people was a relatively common practice in old ages, and was not putting the Boltons aside of other Houses.

More likely GRRM needed these Boltons, having done evil things in past ages.

10 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Seeing the Greatjon example, the Bolton's success against the Starks might actually be a reason as to why they were spared. Northmen seems to respect strength and the Boltons showed themselves very strong.

10 hours ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

Perhaps they did, it would certainly have been benefical for the Starks at present, although to be honest I think that the Karstarks could potentially fill a void left by Lord Roose.

12 hours ago, The Wolves said:

It was a time of war and bloodshed. Shit happens. You don't end a big family for that or else your bannermen who had once crossed your path will start wondering if they will be next

Archived