Vikings IX: The Bear Necessities [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

Another episode of Vikings that is more about non Vikings than actual Vikings. For me the show was at it's best when 95% of the screen time was filled by Vikings and was about Viking culture.

I don't see how the Chinese slave can be alive, would be a shame if she was, but then again I thought Helga was dead last week, thought Bjorn was shot through the throat this week, and thought Ragnar died outside of Paris last season, oh and Floki (like his 3rd time now) so who knows?

I am no where near quitting on the show, just a little tired of fake deaths and non Vikings.

So, I do like the way the children are being used back in Kattegat. Pretty sad that it takes a 5 year old to show his mother the truth. So how does this play out when Ragnar returns? The whole village knows this guy is having sex with well, basically the whole village.

On 4/11/2016 at 0:29 AM, Buckwheat said:

Hey look, Florina is back! I was wondering where you were hiding, if not in this thread. :P I agree about the children, I love the scenes with Sigurd especially.

oh hai! Its kind of amazing that i can leave for months and months on end, and yet people remember me when i come back all out of the blue. Ive been kind of deliberately avoiding fandom lately. Theres a shit load of preseason stuff im not in the know about too. (GoT) 

Anyway, back to Vikings...

Sigurd is great. I love the kids actually. 

What i dont love? I am so freaking sick of the stuff that is not Vikings. Like, i do care about Rollo and how hes getting along in France and stuff. But i do not give two fucks about these two pretty jackasses trying to Game Of Thrones shit with the Emperor. I dont care about Odo and im glad he got exit; pursued by a whip. These two characters are just really ridiculous and i dont care about them. I dont really care about Wessex either. I never did. I care about Judith cuz i know whats in store for her, but i dont give a fuck about these other characters much. Kwen was fun for a while, but im not invested in the Mercia plot at all. I care about Ragnar. I care about Lagertha. I care about Bjorn, Aslaug, Floki, Helga, the children, and seeing Einar Selvik appear on screen doing music shit. I care about the depictions of various old Norse traditions. I care about the interpretations of the worship of the gods. I care about the myths being discussed. This is one reason why i was banging a lot of pots and pans during the Floki chase and torture sequences. (they directly mirrored Loki's flight and capture in mythology. That was the extra icing on the Florina Fanservice Cake, yo) I care about all of that, not this Non-Viking stuff. Why is there so much focus on characters who dont matter that much in the long run? Aelle matters, so yeah its nice to see him and his fat ass once in a while. Wessex/England only needs to show up a couple of times a season, not every damn episode. If they are gonna write something for Rollo to do, make sure its not rehashed nonsense rolled up into a shit sharwarma please. We also dont need rehashed characters like Yidu coming in and shitting things up. I already expressed my extreme salt over Harald and Halfdan. This show is veering into territory that may cause it to jump the shark, and Hirst and co need to put it back before it gets to that point. And fast. 

/rant

I had to get that off my chest. 

19 minutes ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

oh hai! Its kind of amazing that i can leave for months and months on end, and yet people remember me when i come back all out of the blue. Ive been kind of deliberately avoiding fandom lately. Theres a shit load of preseason stuff im not in the know about too. (GoT) 

I'm waiting on making my comeback until you make yours.

:D

If there's DEEP HURTING to come, I can't face it alone.

Sweet mother of god. Just watched episodes 6, 7 and 8 :mellow:

So let's see... what should have taken roughly 135 minutes ended up taking me about an hour. Skip the "previously on Vikings". Skip the opening credits. Skip 90% of Wessex, and all of the self actualized Wessex lady. Skip the wimpy French emperor. Skip Oddo and all that bdsm bullshit, actually just skip most of France. Skip Aslaug. Audibly groan when Kevin Durand appears and then skip him too. Stomach through strung out Ragnar and annoying chinese lady, maybe the occasional skippy for them.

I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, but it makes the show slightly less shite :)

20 hours ago, dooog said:

Sweet mother of god. Just watched episodes 6, 7 and 8 :mellow:

So let's see... what should have taken roughly 135 minutes ended up taking me about an hour. Skip the "previously on Vikings". Skip the opening credits. Skip 90% of Wessex, and all of the self actualized Wessex lady. Skip the wimpy French emperor. Skip Oddo and all that bdsm bullshit, actually just skip most of France. Skip Aslaug. Audibly groan when Kevin Durand appears and then skip him too. Stomach through strung out Ragnar and annoying chinese lady, maybe the occasional skippy for them.

I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, but it makes the show slightly less shite :)

I'm surprised you even got an hour out of it that way :P 

On 11-4-2016 at 9:29 AM, Buckwheat said:

Hey look, Florina is back! I was wondering where you were hiding, if not in this thread. :P I agree about the children, I love the scenes with Sigurd especially.

Yeah, I'll join in the praise for the children. Although not all of them. The kids playing Ubbe and Sigurd are really good. They are the reason their characters don't suck ass as well, because it sure as fuck isn't Hirst writing. Ivar's stuff I'm wary about. I get too much of a Red Dragon/Joker vibe from him. I always saw Ivarr more as the dark inversion of Ragnar. His brilliance and power of will (perhaps even more of the latter than Ragnar had), but none of his easy charm or wide-eyed wonder about the world. Just a real hardass sob, but clever and calculated, not crazy as they seem to be depicting him now. 

On 11-4-2016 at 2:40 PM, dbunting said:

So, I do like the way the children are being used back in Kattegat. Pretty sad that it takes a 5 year old to show his mother the truth. So how does this play out when Ragnar returns? The whole village knows this guy is having sex with well, basically the whole village.

Everyone who returns get's to hop aboard the Harbard train and enjoy him for himself. After all, he does it for the gods and to take their pain away  :angry2:

21 hours ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

I never did. I care about Judith cuz i know whats in store for her, 

You mean the Judith of Flanders stuff right? I'm dreading that honestly, it's bad enough as it is, we don't need to see her getting pushed into the forefront even more. She's already a major nuissance and I would like it if she could just be murdered, alongside with Ecbert, imposter Alfred and basically every known character left in England except Aelle. 

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:10 AM, Florina Laufeyson said:

Anyway, back to Vikings...

Sigurd is great. I love the kids actually. 

What i dont love? I am so freaking sick of the stuff that is not Vikings. Like, i do care about Rollo and how hes getting along in France and stuff. But i do not give two fucks about these two pretty jackasses trying to Game Of Thrones shit with the Emperor. I dont care about Odo and im glad he got exit; pursued by a whip. These two characters are just really ridiculous and i dont care about them. I dont really care about Wessex either. I never did. I care about Judith cuz i know whats in store for her, but i dont give a fuck about these other characters much. Kwen was fun for a while, but im not invested in the Mercia plot at all. I care about Ragnar. I care about Lagertha. I care about Bjorn, Aslaug, Floki, Helga, the children, and seeing Einar Selvik appear on screen doing music shit. I care about the depictions of various old Norse traditions. I care about the interpretations of the worship of the gods. I care about the myths being discussed. This is one reason why i was banging a lot of pots and pans during the Floki chase and torture sequences. (they directly mirrored Loki's flight and capture in mythology. That was the extra icing on the Florina Fanservice Cake, yo) I care about all of that, not this Non-Viking stuff. Why is there so much focus on characters who dont matter that much in the long run? Aelle matters, so yeah its nice to see him and his fat ass once in a while. Wessex/England only needs to show up a couple of times a season, not every damn episode. If they are gonna write something for Rollo to do, make sure its not rehashed nonsense rolled up into a shit sharwarma please. We also dont need rehashed characters like Yidu coming in and shitting things up. I already expressed my extreme salt over Harald and Halfdan. This show is veering into territory that may cause it to jump the shark, and Hirst and co need to put it back before it gets to that point. And fast. 

/rant

I had to get that off my chest. 

Couldn't agree with you more. The show is at it's best when the actual Vikings are on screen!

I used to not mind Ecbert but the writing for his character hasn't been good since season two. There really is no need for Wessex to be on screen at all unless Ragnar and company are invading them. Judith is arguably the worst character on the show (with Odo and the Chinese chick dead, it's between her and Erlundouche) and I agree with whoever said her actress isn't good. Her scenes are hard to watch, I envy whoever said they fast-forwarded through them. 

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

I used to not mind Ecbert but the writing for his character hasn't been good since season two. There really is no need for Wessex to be on screen at all unless Ragnar and company are invading them. Judith is arguably the worst character on the show (with Odo and the Chinese chick dead, it's between her and Erlundouche) and I agree with whoever said her actress isn't good. Her scenes are hard to watch, I envy whoever said they fast-forwarded through them. 

I actually really like the actor who plays Ecbert, hes really watchable, just the right side of camp with a bit of Shakespeare thrown in.

But its been so long since England has been relevant to the plot, its hard to know why it still exists in the show at all.. other than the producers liking the characters. 

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I actually really like the actor who plays Ecbert, hes really watchable, just the right side of camp with a bit of Shakespeare thrown in.

But its been so long since England has been relevant to the plot, its hard to know why it still exists in the show at all.. other than the producers liking the characters. 

Athelstan Jr.

13 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I believe we have a winner now.

Archived