[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes, but Ned was a hero.  Being a hero and honorable doesn't mean you don't ever make mistakes, or have bad judgment or even harking back to the Jamie scene about too many oaths have to break one vow to keep another.

None of that can justify young chinless Ned looking Dayne in the eyes and slashing him with a sword.  There is nothing but denial of what is shown on the screen and how the scene is played to make that anything but a cowardly dishonorable act.

But, I guess at this point, character assassination is a nitpick, LOL.

I agree. It's sad and sickening. What is even the point of tearing Ned Stark down as a character? To make Batfinger look good? Cersei? Will they make the reveal of Jon's parentage along the same lines? "That nasty Ned Stark lied to his king and his wife and hid the heir to the throne! GASP!" It's such a bizarre interpretation of his theorized actions at the TOJ that it's hard to see anyone supporting it. Yet the show throws out such nonsensical character adaptations that this is, sadly, all too possible.

I cringe to see Chinless Ned and his accent again.  Even the content of the scene aside, he was fucking terrible. Now, me, having believed for a long time that Dan and Dave are not Stark fans, and me, believing that Dan and Dave now have a beef with Sean Bean....am of the mind that they cast this guy as one of their subtle in jokes.

I feel like whatever lines he's given when he sees his sister are going to be cheesy and poorly delivered.  I just cannot take that guy seriously as Ned Stark. 

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I cringe to see Chinless Ned and his accent again.  Even the content of the scene aside, he was fucking terrible. Now, me, having believed for a long time that Dan and Dave are not Stark fans, and me, believing that Dan and Dave now have a beef with Sean Bean....am of the mind that they cast this guy as one of their subtle in jokes.

I feel like whatever lines he's given when he sees his sister are going to be cheesy and poorly delivered.  I just cannot take that guy seriously as Ned Stark. 

There is no need for any ulterior motive here for this to be exactly what we will get, and it is exactly what we will get.

Agreed with the analysis of LittleFinger and Ramsay--and this is why GRRM has relegated them to lesser characters.  When you blow them up (Ramsay especially) and put them front and center they become tedious.  How much more evil can Ramsay get?  I don't care if he starts handing out thin mints to Winterfell Orphans, he's a tired bastard.  I'm so over him and his 'development'.

15 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Why? What happened?

35 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

But, I guess at this point, character assassination is a nitpick, LOL.

Yep. You have to have characterization in order to assassinate it. Most of the actors are walking plot points at this juncture. There's no real conflict motivating anyone (there's also no love, no joy, no hope, no dreams, except those of Jaime to get back in hiis  dear sister's good graces). 

20 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, he'll brag about killing Arthur Dayne to Lyanna while she lay there dying. But, Ned will be clueless that she is in fact dying because he'll be to busy believing his own bullshit and bragging about it.

22 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I don't mind D&D tweaking characters like Ned and LF. Its just they do it so terribly badly. If the end result was a better scene than what GRRM could write, I'd love it. But time and time again, they've shown how utterly empty they are of skilled writing. Skill takes hard work and time and obsessive mulling over little details. D&D need to stop believing their own stupid hype and quit tinkering like mindless monkeys with great source material.

11 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Yep. You have to have characterization in order to assassinate it. Most of the actors are walking plot points at this juncture. There's no real conflict motivating anyone (there's also no love, no joy, no hope, no dreams, except those of Jaime to get back in hiis  dear sister's good graces). 

Yeah, but you sort of thought Ned was safe, having been dead for 5 seasons and having even been referred to positively in subsequent seasons.  So, it was kind of a surprise to see this super famous TOJ scene play out with Ned as a dishonorable asshole, and also a bad actor.  I can't imagine what possessed anyone to cast that guy.

11 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Yeah, he'll brag about killing Arthur Dayne to Lyanna while she lay there dying. But, Ned will be clueless that she is in fact dying because he'll be to busy believing his own bullshit and bragging about it.

This is just what I was thinking too :lol:

Ned will just sit there next to Lyanna and ramble on about what an awesome swordsman he is and how he took down Dayne, who is really only a half dawn rising, and how he will tell his children this story for long years to come.

Meanwhile, Lyanna is bleeding out and her saddened cries of "promise me," turn into frustrated, "just listen to me for once."

2 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Ned will just sit there next to Lyanna and ramble on about what an awesome swordsman he is and how he took down Dayne, who is really only a half dawn rising, and how he will tell his children this story for long years to come.

Meanwhile, Lyanna is bleeding out and her saddened cries of "promise me," turn into frustrated, "just listen to me for once."

It will be something like:

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I swore I wouldn't rewatch any of this horrific episode but I did rewatch TOJ to see if my impression of Ned's final slash to Dayne was as bad I remembered it.  It was.  No sense of regret or that he's doing it out of mercy.  He looks at him, steps back and slashes him across the chest with his sword.  I mean, seriously? He's now on par with Jamie Lannister, maybe he will see that Lynna had twins and throw one of them out the window.

Yeah, he looked Brienne the Brute there.

And no way would Ned have bragged about that. He had regrets in the first place, and he should have.

7 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

You make it look like Lyanna has some kind of active role in the script. But this is D&D's writing after all! It is quite possible Lyanna will be relieved (and mildly aroused) by the fact that her strong and manly brother is able enough to protect her son. ;)

1 minute ago, Toth said:

You make it look like Lyanna has some kind of active role in the script. But this is D&D's writing after all! It is quite possible Lyanna will be relieved (and mildly aroused) by the fact that her strong and manly brother is able enough to protect her son. ;)

Well, according to others, she as a woman should just lay back and enjoy it. Someone else is taking care of her.

I actually dread the scene. Nothing leading up to it has given me any confidence that the sadness and remorse and overall tone won't be lost somehow.

13 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

That was Bolton #21, and he ain't so good :(

This question has been asked and discussed and the "best" answer I have seen is that the dogs ran away. That's it. They just high tailed it out of there and back to... Winterfell?

To other people it was an editing or continuity error. I was taken out of the story more because they used the most generic, modern day thinking in the use of actual Bloodhound dogs to track Sansa and Theon. I half expected the dogs to have a pipe hanging from thieir jowls and a little inspector hate on their heads. It was tooooo breed specific and not in Westeros canon to use such a thing.

8 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Awww, cute. And bloodhounds are friendly dogs, too, book Sansa would pet them. Then again, book Sansa would never be there in the first place.

Not only these things, but I feel I just have to point out that these bloodhounds that Ramsay has certainly weren't anywhere to be seen in the Winterfell kennels when he later had his vicious attack dogs eat Lady Walda and her baby alive.  Thus, I can only surmise that the bloodhounds did not, in fact, return to Winterfell but instead high-tailed it to the Riverlands to join Nymeria's pack...or something:dunno:

8 minutes ago, Toth said:

5 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

On the contrary, I have full confidence that the sense of loss and remorse will be fully absent.

First, the guy playing Ned isn't capable of conveying this.

Second, the purpose in the show is only the OMG SHOCK!!  Jon Snow's real parents! Shock. Shock. Shock. And another round of Kit interviews and EW exclusives about how great the show is with these shocking twists.  LOL.

And, since nobody reads the books and even major players don't get any character direction, there is no telling what the poor actress who will be playing Lyanna has been told about how to play her scene.

Yeah, who is next for the Brienne the Brute treatment. Now that was a very troublesome thing she did on many levels. Worst, that Stannis was trying to kill Ramsay, the one raping Fansa.

And she took no hits for that. None whatsoever. She never owned up for it. Never paid any price for it. Even Sansa took a hit for being a "hardened woman" making a "choice." Not Brienne.

Of course, they'll probably have it end with someone like Ramsay or Littlefinger. Don't want to kill a man when he's down, no sir. Because the concept of justice for crimes has been lost.

What the hell did Arthur Dayne do? He tried to defend Jon Snow, because his daddy told him to.

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

Oh, you beat me to it... :)

Yeah, who is next for the Brienne the Brute treatment. Now that was a very troublesome thing she did on many levels. Worst, that Stannis was trying to kill Ramsay, the one raping Fansa.

Of course, they'll probably have it end with someone like Ramsay or Littlefinger. Don't want to kill a man when he's down, no sir. Because the concept of justice for crimes has been lost.

What the hell did Arthur Dayne do? He tried to defend Jon Snow, because his daddy told him to.

If we are really lucky, Jon will stab Ramsay in the back, and then grunt and grimace like the Brute.  That would be a fitting end to heroic bad boy Ramsay Bolton.  Or, perhaps Boss.Ass.Bitch can stab him in the back?  She's a warrior queen boss.ass.bitch after all.

Archived