50 Dead, Dozens Wounded in Orlando Club Shooting

Jace, Extat

I only just woke up to this.  We keep hearing how banning guns won't change anything because criminals will ignore bans, but just look at what the ban in Australia did for the price of a black-market assault rifle. 

Not to indulge in solipsism here but my first thought when I saw the headline about a shooting at a club was "gang-related" rather than "terrorism".  The routine, pervasive gun violence here in Chicago has seeped into my psyche, and it makes individual acts of terror look like minor blips. 

This is so awful :( The biggest mass shooting in US history. And people say gay rights aren't a problem any more. If anyone is in the area and is in a position to donate blood please do. Stay strong everyone. 

I am numb. 

I'm reading on my Facebook page that this is because the failed policies of Obama towards Muslims. One person said they wished the President would have been in the nightclub last night.

I can't believe I live around people like this. I would scream, but I can't muster the energy. I would cry, but the tears have all drowned.  

My Lt. Governor tweeted this morning "Do not be deceived. God can not be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." 

We are doomed.

This isn't just another shooting that you just need to look at gun control over and it's not just a sign of a shitty world. It's a fucking hate crime that's a progression from the homophobic rhetoric of your right wing, from the torrent of transphobic legislation being pushed across the country in bathroom bills etc. It is then enabled by the access to guns.

Hate mongering politicians that vote against gun control and profit politically off this crap spouting "thoughts and prayers" can go fuck themselves as the hypocrites they are. If you know people the celebrate this and continue to call them friend then I really have to wonder about you as well (theoretical, I don't know if anyone in here does).

7 minutes ago, HowdyGareth Bale said:

II'm reading on my Facebook page that this is because the failed policies of Obama towards Muslims.

They are all for taking drastic action when a shooter is Muslim but when it's usually not they couldn't be arsed to do anything.

5 minutes ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

The shooter's father acknowledges his son was homophobic and outraged by seeing men kissing, but the media keeps trying to tie this to ISIS.  Why?  Because it it is only about killing LGBT people, their audience will go away.

I'm seeing commented from his ex wife as well that he was violent and awful but not religious. But making this about Islam let's them avoid looking at the actual problems.

1 minute ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

The media knows that if they make this about Islamic terrorism, their audience will keep watching.  If it's about dead LGBT people, they'll change channels to the Golf Channel.

If they do, it'll only add to Trump's narrative on banning all Muslims.

They are now claiming that the shooter called 911 just before the shooting and pledged his support to ISIS. But I haven't seen any official verification.

This pisses me off so much.  His targeting is very much about the victims, not about religion. (verified but his father and ex-wife)

2 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

This pisses me off so much.  His targeting is very much about the victims, not about religion. (verified but his father and ex-wife)

As the Devil's advocate I'll ask, Where did his homophobia come from? It may indeed come from his religion, given that Islam isn't exactly what one would call, "gay friendly."

Archived