US Elections 2016: The END IS NEAR

Kalbear

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Hypothesis: polling represents the overall shape of the electorate; visible support represents the likelihood that someone will vote. While the polling favors Clinton, the visible support favors Trump. 

Alternative explanation #1: Trump supporters have always been the most vocal and the most outspoken regardless, and Clinton supporters have always been the least outspoken (true for Primary too) and it didn't change actual outcome of voting.

Alternative explanation #2: just like the primary, a lot of people are scared to visibly show support for Clinton.

I think there are plenty of polls out there showing that Clinton has an edge with likely voters.

The fact of the matter though is that the right hates Hillary with a fierce passion. And some of that has bled into not so right leaning people. If you support Hillary and you make that known, then be prepared to do battle. A lot people just don't want to have that. They have work to do and families to raise and would just rather not have argument over Hillary and Trump.

I don't live in the best area to assess how the average Trump voter is because I live in an area where Trump is pretty heavily supported, but it is been my experience that Trump supporters are pretty vocal about it and much more willing to give their unsolicited political opinions.

11 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Just speaking for myself of course, but I'm not scared so much as uninspired. Not that I've ever really been the sort to put a sign in my yard, or a bumper sticker on my car. Talking politics with strangers (outside of the internet) can be problematic at best.

I am not a fan of bumper stickers in general.

Although I did always want to print one that said something like 

| My politics are too complex and nuanced to be summarized on a bumper st |

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

The whole sign/bumper sticker thing is scaring the fuck out of me. I'm thinking there are more anti-Trumpers, but Trumpers are more committed. 

My own sense is that Trump supporters like to waggle their proxy peens to the world while there is a subtle intimidation effect suppressing displays of Clinton support. I've had one friend (a woman) complain about getting yelled at in a parking lot for a Clinton bumper sticker, and another had his car vandalized for it. But this is just anecdata.

9 minutes ago, BloodRider said:

I would buy such a bumper sticker.

21 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I've noticed the same thing. Almost exclusively local signage (School Board, County Clerk, etc). I've barely seen a sign for Clinton or Trump. Seems to me this was somewhat the case last time around, although not quite as pronounced. The thing that stands out more for me though is the lack of bumper stickers. I see way more Bernie stickers than anything else, and very little for Hillary or Trump. Seems like the general populace is pretty disengaged.

I saw one of those Giant Meteor 2016 (Just End it Already) bumper stickers at the grocery store the other day. Otherwise, it's all Republican lawn signs around here. I'm in hell.

23 hours ago, Kalbear said:

And apparently Weld 'giving up' was a bit of interpretive wishful thinking.

Is that true of Johnson though? Cause maybe he just didn't tell Weld that he was throwing the election to keep Trump out of the White House.

Hillary Clinton is hermione granger:

I honestly feel like, since the debate, some of the more ambivalent sections of the populace are taking Bill Maher's advice on Hillary. Don't even bother arguing that she's not combative or shady (though I think one of these is overblown and the other kind of absurd). It doesn't matter. The point is to make that work for you. 

4 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Sounds like you need to move to a more ass-friendly neighborhood, my friend.  :leer:

LOL.

Also, if I moved to an area where people knew how to spell properly, I'd feel completely out of place. LOL.

2 hours ago, BloodRider said:

| My politics are too complex and nuanced to be summarized on a bumper st |

Good idea but too long, should be 

| My politics are too complex and nuanced to be summ |

Spoon feeding people "bumper st" lets them off having to actually think.

Is "Paul Ryan" German for "massive coward?"

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/paul-ryan-trump-campaigning-together-229238

Also, I hate to break Godwin's Law because I think it's absolutely correct, but it's hard to deny the similarities:

http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2016/10/06/hitler-populism-right-wing-ascent

54 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

That's not the best bit. The best bit is where she tells a secret service agent to fuck off and asks (regarding Bill) "Where is that miserable cocksucker?" Assuming this is around the time of the Lewinsky thing it's a fair thing for her to call her philandering husband, and it's almost a double entendre. I think that demonstrates genius more than someone who loses $1 billion and then has their accountant find a way to polish that turd.

Not only that, but is shows the depth of her anger at Bill over him putting is dick in places it shouldn't be.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nah. Remember what Steven Spielberg taught you. The US Army saved P. Ryan from ze Germans. (lame joke I know).

16 minutes ago, Castel said:

I honestly feel like, since the debate, some of the more ambivalent sections of the populace are taking Bill Maher's advice on Hillary. Don't even bother arguing that she's not combative or shady (though I think one of these is overblown and the other kind of absurd). It doesn't matter. The point is to make that work for you.

That's a valuable philosophy... assuming that you are one of the people who paid her $200K per speech directly or contributed millions to her Super PACs.

9 minutes ago, Altherion said:

That's a valuable philosophy... assuming that you are one of the people who paid her $200K per speech directly or contributed millions to her Super PACs.

This doesn't actually parse whatsoever. What precisely do you mean?

Archived