Hamilton Creator to Take Reins On Kingkiller Chronicles

Manhole Eunuchsbane

I'm quite surprised that this thread hasn't received more attention almost as if the title just isn't properly drawing eyes.  Would think that the adaptation of Rothfuss would be huge news.

Impressed that those of you that have responded have shown great restraint and not made any snarky comments about this adding to the delay of book 3.  

21 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Impressed that those of you that have responded ave shown great restraint and not made any snarky comments about this adding to the delay of book 3.  

Are you implying that much like the St. Louis Cardinals, Kingkiller Chronicle fans are among the classiest of the genre?

48 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Impressed that those of you that have responded have shown great restraint and not made any snarky comments about this adding to the delay of book 3.  

I had one half typed out on my phone, but then a patient showed up a bit early and never got around to finishing it.  And anyways, it's not like Rothfuss is actually working on the book, so how could this possibly delay it?

8 hours ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

Sounds really good.

I really like that they will involve Rothfuss in the development of new characters and new storylines. 

It's always good to have the creator involved as it gives hope of a decent translation. New storylines sounds welcome too although I wonder if it could lead to cross-pollination with the books? I guess it could simply be he realised with hindsight some characters would have fit better.

Part of me would like a longer segment on his childhood and time training with the old wizard - maybe short flashbacks throughout the season?

14 hours ago, Triskan said:

Well I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not annoyed by the fact that it takes him so long to write Book 3. Don't get me wrong I love the books and I would love to read book 3, but I've no probelm with waiting another couple of years, if it takes him that long. 

10 hours ago, red snow said:

It's always good to have the creator involved as it gives hope of a decent translation. New storylines sounds welcome too although I wonder if it could lead to cross-pollination with the books? I guess it could simply be he realised with hindsight some characters would have fit better.

Well I was surpised to learn that they would inlude new storylines and charaters, but I agree that having Rothfuss involved in this will make it more likely that these stories willl fit into the rest of the story rather smoothly. 

10 hours ago, red snow said:

Part of me would like a longer segment on his childhood and time training with the old wizard - maybe short flashbacks throughout the season?

I really liked Abenthy, so it would be nice if they expand this story a bit more. They could also use flashbacks for all the stories and myths. This might work better on screen than someone just telling the stories in a long monologue. 

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I just don't see this story translating well to screen.

As someone who's essentially lukewarm to the books, I'm hoping the screen adaptation shows me something the first book didn't (I haven't read the second). For me, the story feels like something the author always intended to showcase in a visual medium.

Still having a hard time figuring out how I'll get behind Kvothe as a protagonist, though. Maybe on screen his goofy arrogance will come across in a more endearing or humorous manner than I perceived when reading.

18 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

As someone who's essentially lukewarm to the books, I'm hoping the screen adaptation shows me something the first book didn't (I haven't read the second). For me, the story feels like something the author always intended to showcase in a visual medium.

Still having a hard time figuring out how I'll get behind Kvothe as a protagonist, though. Maybe on screen his goofy arrogance will come across in a more endearing or humorous manner than I perceived when reading.

It helps to imagine Kvothe as Junior from Problem Child.

17 hours ago, Triskan said:

That's because we're resigned to the fact that it'll never be released.

5 hours ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

Well I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not annoyed by the fact that it takes him so long to write Book 3. Don't get me wrong I love the books and I would love to read book 3, but I've no probelm with waiting another couple of years, if it takes him that long. 

I'm hard pressed to name a single series where a book that takes substantially longer to complete than its predecessors actually lead to a better product.

:leaving: 

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

I still find it humorous that Sanderson decided not to name Stormlight 3 "Stones Unhallowed" at least partly over speculation that "Doors of Stone" would come out the same year. :lmao: 

I like some of the casting choices in this list.:)

Kote — Tom Hiddleston (alt. Toby Stephens, Michael Fassbender)
Kvothe: The Teen Years — Alex Lawler or Asa Butterfield
Chronicler/Devan Lochees — Mandy Patinkin or Naveen Andrews
Bast — Ezra Miller
Ambrose Jakis — Cameron Monaghan
Denna — Zendaya or Amandla Stenberg
Master Elodin — Lin-Manuel Miranda
Elxa Dal — Taika Waititi or David Tennant
Master Hemme — Ben Kingsley or Peter Capaldi
Master Kilvin - Ernie Hudson
Simmon — Eugene Simon or Avan Jogia
Wilem — Alfred Enoch
Fela — Lupita Nyong’o
Manet — Daveed Diggs
Auri — Saoirse Ronan
Devi — Chloë Grace Moretz
Count Threpe — Simon Russell Beale
Deoch and Stanchion — Christopher Jackson and Leslie Odom, Jr.
Maer Alveron — Raúl Esparza
Lady Meluan Lackless — Zoë Kravitz
Felurian — Jessica Parker Kennedy

I'm gonna go with PLEASE NO on Asa Butterfield being involved in anything. Ever. The kid is god awful. Or has been in everything I've seen him in anyway. 

YES on Cameron Monaghan as Ambrose though.

On 12/1/2016 at 4:49 PM, Astromech said:

It helps to imagine Kvothe as Junior from Problem Child.

:lol: 

I've always pictured him in my head as looking a bit like Dev Patel for some reason. I have no idea why because it's not at all how he's described. I was probably watching something Dev was in when I picked up the first book or something. 

On 1-12-2016 at 6:37 AM, Triskan said:

I'm quite surprised that this thread hasn't received more attention almost as if the title just isn't properly drawing eyes.  Would think that the adaptation of Rothfuss would be huge news.

We have known that an adaptation of his novels was in the works for a while now, but I was just very skeptical about it :) I don't see how they'll adapt the beauty of those books to other mediums. The task at hand seems way to daunting really. Movies don't have the runtime to do justice to the story, with TV there is a real chance that they'd turn it into something formulaic (e.g. Fox style cop procedural) and I don't care about a possible stage adaptiation because I live in a backwater and I would never get a chance to experience the real thing (unless I'm lucky with travelling). 

The involvement of Lin-Manuel Miranda gives me hope though :) I haven't had the chance to see Hamilton with my own eyes, but as far as I can tell, the praise it gets seems well deserved. Plus a guy who manages to cook up a hip-hop musical about one of the founding fathers with a superdivers cast (and actually make it work) is probably the right kind of crazy to tackle this daunting task :) 

On 1-12-2016 at 7:30 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

I had one half typed out on my phone, but then a patient showed up a bit early and never got around to finishing it.  And anyways, it's not like Rothfuss is actually working on the book, so how could this possibly delay it?

On 1-12-2016 at 11:54 PM, aceluby said:

Oh really? I stopped really paying attention to him on social media, but is it really that bad? :( 

On 2-12-2016 at 2:24 AM, Rhom said:

I still find it humorous that Sanderson decided not to name Stormlight 3 "Stones Unhallowed" at least partly over speculation that "Doors of Stone" would come out the same year. :lmao: 

Really? What made him decide that?

3 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I like some of the casting choices in this list.:)

That's a rather horrible list :P I'd support Toby Stephens for Kote and Taika Waititi would make a great Elodin imo, but I'd accept him as Elxa Dal as well :P Definitely strongly opposed to Asa Butterfield for Kvothe. In no way does he remind me of Kvothe or does he strike me as the kind of guy who could believably play him.

Archived