Emie

Where did the name Baratheon come from?

11 posts in this topic

I can't recall if this was mentioned in the books or other ASOIAF material, but we all know that House Baratheon began when Orys Baratheon married the last Storm princess/"queen" Argella Durrandon. And he was possibly the bastard son of Lord Aerion Targaryen making him half-brother of Aegon the Conquerer, Visenya and Rhaenys. But where did he get the name Baratheon and why? Is it possible that it was his mother's last name? Or maybe a traditional bastard surname from wherever his mother came from? Like how Westeros has Snow, Rivers, etc. for bastard surnames? It would be kind of amusing to think that a great Westerosi house like Baratheon originally comes from a bastard name of some far off country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always figured Martin came up with the name when he was thinking about Robert personality and traits. Robert Likes bars, and is pissed off all the time.  Bar + rath = baratheon. I know I've answered nothing and you are all stupider for having read this,  but I regret nothing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BoltonsBastard said:

I always figured Martin came up with the name when he was thinking about Robert personality and traits. Robert Likes bars, and is pissed off all the time.  Bar + rath = baratheon. I know I've answered nothing and you are all stupider for having read this,  but I regret nothing.  

It's interesting that in the same region we have House Bar Emmon - so maybe Baratheon is Bar Theon - with 'a' for easier pronounciation. In Hebrew 'bar' means 'son', and was often used in names 'X bar Y' 

So founder of House Bar Emmon would be son of man named Emmon and Theon would be Orys' father - or at least people claimed he was son of him (it was a rumour that Aegon's father Lord Aerion Targaryen was his father, so there probably were other candidates) 

 

Edited by Blue Tiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps Baratheon was a Valyrian surname for bastards, but I personally don't think this is very likely, since Orys kept the name when he founded his own Great House. More likely, it was either a surname he had chosen for himself, or the surname he had received at birth (similar to Jacaerys Velaryon and his two younger siblings had "Velaryon" as their surname, despite the rumours of their illegitimacy). Important to remember is that the rumor concerning Orys was only that he was Aegon's halfbrother. His status as a bastard, as far as I know, was not part of the rumor, and if that is the case, the scenario similar to Jacaerys Velaryon is the unlikeliest of the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baratheon means bastard in old valyria :ph34r:

I would quit with the orys was/wasn't doubt , Martin is not going to tackle this story furder, só of course orys is aerion's bastard...

And i think he wasn't a son of a lord's wife, just a normal girl, because he spent his childhood in DS, if nota he hardly would be aegon's best and ONLY trusted friend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would not be difficult for Orys to have been officially a trueborn son of a low-ranking but surnamed man working at Dragonstone. Like Qoherys who was master-at-arms. Master-at-arms is a job not inconsistent with being married. Nor is steward. Or other jobs as officers in a castle garrison.

For example, Jeyne Poole is brought up in Winterfell, and is an associate, and actually the best friend of Sansa Stark. Yet has a surname - Poole, from her official father Vayon Poole. Now add rumours, true or false, of Eddard having been too close to his employee's wife, and you could easily make Jeyne a rumoured bastard and a rumoured sister of Sansa (unless Vayon and his wife had iron-tight and well-known alibi for the relevant time period).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BoltonsBastard said:

I always figured Martin came up with the name when he was thinking about Robert personality and traits. Robert Likes bars, and is pissed off all the time.  Bar + rath = baratheon. I know I've answered nothing and you are all stupider for having read this,  but I regret nothing.  

I don't think that's stupid.  That's actually pretty good -- and made me laugh to boot!  (it's true Robert is both pissed all the time, and pissed off!) :)  'Bar' + 'wrath' to which I'd add 'theon' which means godly... the wrathful god of the bar, which is an apt description of this Dionysian figure.

6 hours ago, Blue Tiger said:

It's interesting that in the same region we have House Bar Emmon - so maybe Baratheon is Bar Theon - with 'a' for easier pronounciation. In Hebrew 'bar' means 'son', and was often used in names 'X bar Y' 

So founder of House Bar Emmon would be son of man named Emmon and Theon would be Orys' father - or at least people claimed he was son of him (it was a rumour that Aegon's father Lord Aerion Targaryen was his father, so there probably were other candidates) 

That's a good point.  So, taking my etymological translation or 'theon', as above, that means 'son of god'...The Baratheons fancied themselves sons of gods -- which the Targaryens and their dragons were to many people, and themselves.  Indeed, the Baratheons were probably proud of the rumored Targaryen link, even if via bastardy.

ETA:  Alternatively, perhaps the 'god' link referenced is the Storm God connection via the maternal line.

Edited by ravenous reader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jaak said:

It would not be difficult for Orys to have been officially a trueborn son of a low-ranking but surnamed man working at Dragonstone. Like Qoherys who was master-at-arms. Master-at-arms is a job not inconsistent with being married. Nor is steward. Or other jobs as officers in a castle garrison.

For example, Jeyne Poole is brought up in Winterfell, and is an associate, and actually the best friend of Sansa Stark. Yet has a surname - Poole, from her official father Vayon Poole. Now add rumours, true or false, of Eddard having been too close to his employee's wife, and you could easily make Jeyne a rumoured bastard and a rumoured sister of Sansa (unless Vayon and his wife had iron-tight and well-known alibi for the relevant time period).

This. I would assume that Orys's pa and ma were a household knight and his lady in service to Dragonstone. Aren't we told that it was considered a great honor for such a family to be infused with a drop of dragonblood resulting in a dragonseed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If i write that orys is aerion's rumoured bastard with zero intent to add info on that period it's because i want to tell something, of course the maesters would not know if orys was aerion's, so they say it's a rumour, i would bet my house that Martin intended for orys to be a targ bastard, it males sense, what would not is out of the blue we are told orys was a smith's son, for what?

He is aerion's bastard 300% imo

About the sons of gods thing, well it makes sense on the durrandons side, but if true orys would have to call himself baratheon after marrying argela, and be known just as orys his early life, só that his descendents would have an Homage from elenei/durran, unlikely though

Edited by Laughing Storm Reborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about Orys's black hair and eyes? The only treats George gave us about his appearance contradict all valyrian ancestry.

1. He may be just a smallfolk boy that somehow became friends with silent and solemn Aegon during their youth.

2. May be a dornish bisexual boy who became friends and lovers with Aegon, and the story was covered up with the 'half inseparable brothers' story and spread around. 

3. Maybe he had black hair and eyes but his skin was white as an albino's, making him Aerion's natural son... :P 

4. etc

Edited by King Merrett I Frey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.