.H.

Bakker XLIX - From Bashrags to Riches (No TUC Spoilers!)

240 posts in this topic

I imagine that the next book will come when it comes. Bakker has designed his writing process to be autonomic so that means he has routinized brain subsystems such that his body nonconsciously winds up in the correct location with the correct equipment and liquid drugs to facilitate the triggering of the endorphins from the creative process.  The non sologdin among us call this process the mysterious brain function known as habit. (Habit being one of the great delusions that disproves free will)

Anti-Nietzsche in its own way, instead of will-to-power it is lack-of-will-to-power. Somehow Bakker has short circuited his brain so that the laziness the human brain prefers is manifested by his writing habit.

this probably means that lack-of-will is the holy key to everything and esmenet is going to become no god and/or the savior of the world and esmenet is the anasurimbor returning at the end of the world.  Narrow hips so celmomas assumed she was a dude. ;) 

Thus her much maligned passivity is actually the key to conquering everything and everyone was wildly out of bounds to criticize her on the very terms of her success.

But Bakker being Bakker the Freudian LACK in the lack-of-will-to-power is significant in some classically Bakker sexual awfulness we are bound to endure at some point in the next book. Esmenet probably has to be fucked by sranc, or kelmomas... or proyas. ;)

Thus spake casidas 

Edited by lokisnow

Guessing author psychology!? I'm so there!!

It's more like playing D&D and figuring how to make every single fucking scene about your special snowflake character by undermining anyone else's choices with their character, because you understand protagonism, but you just can't share! Thaaaat's Kellhus!

Well, hopefully with some self reflection over the thirty years. >:)

Or if I want to really go psyche, to escape a fairly rough/abusive homelife a soul went into fantasy writing. But since he used the fantasy to cut and stab critically at fucking everything as a backlash against that roughness, it didn't end up being pure escapism and instead stabbed into itself until it came right out the other side again as grimdark literature! Kind of like Mimara seeing through the chorae, to something else.

* Does it need to be said that 'I'm so there' is kind of a self satire in such an attempt? A note that it's just a guess, as we're all left guessing.

Regardless of whether (or when) the third series is published it sounds like tUC will wrap up the major questions to a sufficient extent where most readers should be satisfied so I am not going to worry about the existence of a third series just yet. 

2 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

Regardless of whether (or when) the third series is published it sounds like tUC will wrap up the major questions to a sufficient extent where most readers should be satisfied so I am not going to worry about the existence of a third series just yet. 

From Bakker's own mouth, he's already started the 3rd series. So it's in existence. No need to question it. 

However, I am not going to get worked up over it, either. It'll either happen or it won't. I think many have pointed to a few good reasons it could be delayed for awhile. 

3 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

From Bakker's own mouth, he's already started the 3rd series. So it's in existence. No need to question it. 

Where's Winds of Winter again?

9 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Where's Winds of Winter again?

Oh snap.

At least WoW exists cough cough Doors of Stone cough cough.

Just now, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Oh snap! Didn't I address that in the paragraph you left out?

Not particularly; you said it 'exists'. And really, someone working on something (or even better, simply stating that they're working on something) is not evidence of its existence or that it will ever come out in our lifetime. It doesn't even exist for Bakker yet other than ideas. 

21 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

Spoiler

Lol, that doesn't happen.

19 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Not particularly; you said it 'exists'. And really, someone working on something (or even better, simply stating that they're working on something) is not evidence of its existence or that it will ever come out in our lifetime. It doesn't even exist for Bakker yet other than ideas. 

Fair enough. I think that we'll see it and not long from now, relatively. Just my opinion. I will say, that when Bakker gives us info on where he is at and where the publishing process is, its been pretty straightforward and the truth. Besides him not saying that TUC was spilt and he couldn't say anything because of contractual issues.

So, if he says he's starting on it and has a lot of notes as well, I give him the benefit of doubt.

Regardless, I settle for TUC atm anyway. I'm sure there will be a lot to digest.

According to Bakker, this is penultimate book in The Aspect-Emperor series?! I thought that this is the last one, and that the next book will be a part of the new sub-series?

Edit:

Ok, I just saw the comments where this is clarified.

Edited by Gronzag
nevermind

Does anyone remember the passage in Chapter 9 of The Judging Eye, the one with "a life forgotten," from Psatma's perspective? I don't really get what is going on, so I was hoping someone could give me a rundown of what is actually going on in that scene. That is where I am in the books, so I don't want spoilers past that point.

12 minutes ago, YoungBoulheim said:

Does anyone remember the passage in Chapter 9 of The Judging Eye, the one with "a life forgotten," from Psatma's perspective? I don't really get what is going on, so I was hoping someone could give me a rundown of what is actually going on in that scene. That is where I am in the books, so I don't want spoilers past that point.

Without spoilers past that point, it's hard to say much about it, save that a person is becoming the White Luck Warrior, and that person is associated very heavily with gods and their making their will on the world. Part of the White Luck is, well, having the outcome that is needed for success happen every single time. In this case, when this man with a wife and child became the White Luck, he forgot his old life - it was meaningless - and walked out, and did so at precisely the right time as the building his family lived in (along with many others) collapsed and was destroyed. He then encountered Psatma at precisely the right time as he tossed a coin in such a way that it caught her eye, as it absolutely needed to do. 

3 hours ago, YoungBoulheim said:

It’s not Psatma’s perspective, but the WLW’s.

Here goes.

A life lived, now forgotten.

We are in the head of a young Iothian male. (Let me call him WLW.) WLW is with his wife and newborn child. The passage starts at the moment he forgets his old life, to the consternation of his his wife. WLW is acting weird, probably looking very remote, she is understandably concerned. I assume that just seconds before the passage begins, they were joking or adoring their newborn.

Concern clouding her dark eyes. […]

“Love? Are you okay?”

You look like you’re dreaming…

The passages in italics are her inner monologue.

Wake up, please! You’re scaring me!

WLW leaves the building and his shrieking woman behind. The building collapses (because of a bad transaction centuries past.) 

WLW walks through the great agora of Iothia. Psatma is sitting there, she looks up and sees him.

Psatma’s eyes become infantile with wonder, because she recognises the young man as WLW incarnated. Finally some action!

Another sentence in italics:

Praise be our Mother.

Unclear who that belongs to, could be Psatma’s, could be WLW, could be both. The bondaries of consciousness are very unclear for the WLW, as are time.

Psatma begins to cry, so moved is she. Compassionate tears for a life forgotten (the original life of WLW, which was given/taken). Tears of joy for the WLW, because the Mother has heard, and the false Demon Emperor’s white behind can finally be kicked.

Edited by Happy Ent

I always thought that the WLW was a really cool spin on the Chosen One concept.  Like, being Destiny's Darling sucks! 

Thanks, Happy Ent. It makes way more sense after I read it again after hearing both of your explanations.