Things about yourself you cannot rationally explian

Crazydog7

For me, still the dark. No idea, never had any significant issues in that dark that would associate badly...just...there's something in the dark around the corner ready to eat my face off.

Or Pennywise the Clown.

This! Don't know why. I even developed a way of entering dark places: open the door just enough so I can put my hand through the gap and turn on the light. If the light is not in the reach, I throw the door wide open and get ready to flee. Seriously. Thrinidir finds it very amusing when I come running into the room, but hey, how could I know it is just a mouse? It could be a monster, or a burglar.

I also can't sleep alone. I always fall asleep in the same position (facing the nearest wall, I suppose it makes me feel safe), and while I was still living in my parents' house, it was OK, but now I can fall asleep only when real tired or when I sleep over at Thrinidir's. Anywhere else will also do, since all that matters is that there is another person I know sleeping in the room. Funny thing is that I never took toys into my bed when I was a kid, but now I have a plush otter and it helps a bit.

However, I've probably spent far to much time doing things like eating chips, one ridge at a time or staring at the patterns I see in sidewalks, furniture, trees and clouds.

Mind you, this is all completely sober.

This, but a little milder, mostly gone now but was stronger when I was younger. I had about 5 lucky earrings/bracelets/rings/... and when I decided to take them all off some years ago, I was all panicky for the first few days. I still take care not to step on the cracks in the asphalt, but this one is also fading. Same with eating chips one ridge at a time. I still see patterns in everything, but I actually enjoy it.

When I'm driving and change into fifth I get this urge to wrench up the hand brake. Its particularly strong when I'm coming off a slip road onto a motorway. It frightens me sometimes.

One day I'm gonna do it and I'll probably kill whoever is driving behind me.

I have an irrational fear that I will be taken by a bizarre impulse to kill myself.

I'm not suicidal. But the surest way for me to continually think something crazy is to try hard not to think it.

These two as well. It's basically everything I've been ever told not to do and never did (because it would obviously result in me being dead). Same with opening the car door when driving and jumping off bridges.

What else ... I don't like saying 'goodbye' instead of 'good night'. When I was a kid, I used to think that if I say 'goodbye' to my parents when going to bed, they might die during the night since it was a farewell. I now know that this is totally irrational, but it still makes me uneasy.

I used to be terrified of calling people I don't know, since I was always afraid I'd get the wrong number (I think I know where that comes from - when I was a small child and learned to use the phone, I used to call random numbers and people on the other side were not always kind). I overcame that, though - when I was 16, I had to find myself a summer job, but nobody wanted to employ a 16-year-old and so I had to call quite a few strangers. I'm actually very good at that now, better than most of the other people I know.

This has happened to me. It's really weird. Other times, I'll dream something that does come true but not in the way that happened in my dream--the event does happen, but the details are different. It's not always the next day or even a week later. I've had it happen months or even years later. I don't know why that happens--I really can't explain it.

Same. My dreams started in kindegarden. Sometimes the dream is symbolic. It's then when my head hurts.

Is it normal to, while you're sleeping or trying to sleep, to feel like someone has just whispered very loudly in your ear and shaken you awake?

Or, also while you're trying to sleep, to hear this strange nearby loud tap, and then in the moment you hear said tap, your vison becomes like the weird-grey-fuzzy-broken-tv, and your body feels like it just fell of the bed? This all happens in the blink of an eye, right when I hear the tap.

Sometimes it's the first one, sometimes the second one, and sometimes both at the same time. Always when I'm half-sleep.

I used to be terrified of calling people I don't know, since I was always afraid I'd get the wrong number (I think I know where that comes from - when I was a small child and learned to use the phone, I used to call random numbers and people on the other side were not always kind). I overcame that, though - when I was 16, I had to find myself a summer job, but nobody wanted to employ a 16-year-old and so I had to call quite a few strangers. I'm actually very good at that now, better than most of the other people I know.

I'm still apprehensive about calling people I don't know, although I manage it a whole lot better than I did when I was younger. Many of my OCD triggers have faded, but I still usually check any number I'm going to dial (not in my phone's memory or any I've commited to memory, obviously) multiple times.

I have an irrational fear that I will be taken by a bizarre impulse to kill myself.

I do not fear heights. But when I stand at a balcony, I always picture myself jumping off. Then I start to fear blurring thoughts and action, and slowly back away from the balcony.

This sometimes comes up driving as well. Especially if there is heavy traffic moving quickly in the opposite direction. Just one quick flip of the wrists to end it all...

I'm not suicidal. But the surest way for me to continually think something crazy is to try hard not to think it.

I have a similiar problem.. I might get a strong urge to jump out of my car at high speed.. or I might consider killing myself just out of curiosity.. These thoughts scare me :D:D..

I have stupid thoughts all the time and I often talk about them to other people..

I sometimes suddenly make loud noices to confuse people.. I find it oddly entertaining when people wonder if I'm sane..

I almost always have a general underlying fear not fear but something that keeps me alert especially at my desk at work (cuz my back is to the opening of my closet high-walled cube) that someone is going to sneak up and slash my throat. :unsure:

My alarm clock is always set to a time that when you add up all of the numbers down to a single digit the numbers equal 1 or 7...

I do not fear heights. But when I stand at a balcony, I always picture myself jumping off. Then I start to fear blurring thoughts and action, and slowly back away from the balcony.

This sometimes comes up driving as well. Especially if there is heavy traffic moving quickly in the opposite direction. Just one quick flip of the wrists to end it all...

The last time this thread came around a couple of years ago, I was one of the first to post this sort of thing. By the end of the thread, I was surprised to discover that this very strange impulse to consider these things was hands down the most often posted. So there are many people not here anymore or just not doing this thread a second time that experience this. Rest easy, we're not as weird as we thought we were!

I tell you this because, as an artist, I think you'll understand.

Sometimes... when I'm driving... on the road, at night, I see two headlights coming towards me. Fast. I have this sudden impulse to turn the wheel, quick, head on into the oncoming car. I can anticipate the explosion... the sound of shattering glass... flames, rising out of the falling gasoline.

The last time this thread came around a couple of years ago, I was one of the first to post this sort of thing. By the end of the thread, I was surprised to discover that this very strange impulse to consider these things was hands down the most often posted. So there are many people not here anymore or just not doing this thread a second time that experience this. Rest easy, we're not as weird as we thought we were!

Woot, I'm normaler then I thought I was!!

Count me amongst those with the compulsion to throw self off of high places with low walls. I can usually overcome it enough to enjoy a balcony unless someone's within arm's reach. I have the added urge to toss others and the fear they want to do the same to me.

It is embarrasing, but I still have to look down at my hands to figure out which is right or left (ie when it comes to directions or positions). I have to really think about it. I don't know why.

Happens to me all the time. It sucks giving directions I really have to think to make sure I am not fucking them up. Funny thing is that this didn't start happening to me until my last year in college. I guess I learned too much and forgot some basic stuff.

Come to think of it, whenever there's a pedestrian or biker in the street I'm driving on, I consider how many points they'd be worth in

Hey, I played it at a formative age. Junior high, I think. Maybe 6th grade.

Count me in for the "irrational suicidal urges" camp, too. Not just for lethal things, too; if I spot something potentially dangerous, like (say) one of those walls with broken glass embedded along the top, or the bit of an open door next to the hinges where you could get your fingers crushed, even though I have no particular desire to get injured I still feel I have to physically prevent myself from, what, deciding to injure myself anyway? It's a weird feeling.

I can't stand for people to know where I am, check up on me or anything like that. I like to just disappear for awhile. This is also why I don't like to answer my cell phone. When people ask me what I am doing or where I am going I will provide some kind of evasive answer.
I totally get this. My business is my business. And unless you actually need to know something about my activities for a legitimate reason MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

See also:

Where are you going?

Out

Out where?

JUST OUT! *slam*

It is embarrasing, but I still have to look down at my hands to figure out which is right or left (ie when it comes to directions or positions). I have to really think about it. I don't know why.

I have to do that all the time. On my driving test the instructor told me to go left and I went right that's how bad it can be...

N

I tell you this because, as an artist, I think you'll understand.

Sometimes... when I'm driving... on the road, at night, I see two headlights coming towards me. Fast. I have this sudden impulse to turn the wheel, quick, head on into the oncoming car. I can anticipate the explosion... the sound of shattering glass... flames, rising out of the falling gasoline.

ditto

You people are crazy ;)

I have a crippling fear of heights (I'm afraid of going up three rungs on a ladder. I also occasionally forget that I'm tall and I look down and panic. It's THAT BAD).

I'm also panicked of hornets. I keep imagining them as huge and attacking me. Fucking Dr. Who.

I hate it when the volume is on an odd number.

but...but...these go to 11.

Oh, every day, without fail, I will look at the clock at 9:11. Everyday. Sometimes even twice a day...9:11.

Count me in for the "irrational suicidal urges" camp, too. Not just for lethal things, too; if I spot something potentially dangerous, like (say) one of those walls with broken glass embedded along the top, or the bit of an open door next to the hinges where you could get your fingers crushed, even though I have no particular desire to get injured I still feel I have to physically prevent myself from, what, deciding to injure myself anyway? It's a weird feeling.

I'm glad that other Ice and Fire fans have this compulsion. ^_^ Maybe I'm not so odd.

Another common one of mine: jumping in front of the subway train. Also, I usually take a streetcar to work, which runs above ground. And I always wonder what it would feel like to put my foot on the track and let it get run over.

Archived