Scott Lynch’s The Republic of Thieves.. SPOILERS

Howdyphillip

Yep. Pretty sure that paperback edition is Gollancz's UK edition; they generally release new books in the series in both hardback and paperback simultaneously. Del Rey's US edition, which is not on Amazon yet, will almost certainly be in hardcover -- I mean, we don't know that, but it always is, so I think it's reasonably safe to say.

That is defintely the UK paperback edition from Gollancz that you have seen.

Del Rey hasn't put it up for sale yet, and until they do, we know for sure that the Gollancz listings are just guesses.

Close to zero, from what we know.

I'll add that I am very sceptical about a 2016 release as well. This book just keeps splipping.

The only reason I'm not a 100% on it not being a 2016 release  is because there is theoretically still time for it to be finished and fitted into the schedule. But it's firmly in the "who the hell knows" category alongside Doors of Stone.

• 3 months later...

From the new Orion/Gollancz catalogue:

https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/assets/OrionPublishingGroup/downloads/Catalogues/Orion-Rights-Guide-Frontlist-2016.pdf

With a controversial twist in the tale coming, Locke and Jean find themselves sucked into the horror of war.

The Gentleman Bastard series continues, and now Locke Lamora, thief, con-man, pirate,
political deceiver must become a soldier as finally the war that has been brewing in the
Kingdom of the Marrows flares up and threatens to capture all in its flames.

And all the while Locke must try to deal with the disturbing rumours about his past
revealed in The Republic of Thieves. Fighting a war when you don’t know the truth of right
and wrong is one thing. Fighting a war when you don’t know the truth of yourself is
quite another. Particularly when you’ve never been that good with a sword anyway...

Also by Scott Lynch: The Lies of Locke Lamora (2006); Red Seas Under Red Skies (2007); The
Republic of Thieves (2013)

Gollancz | July 2016 | 608pp | Ms due May 2016

It looks like Lynch has to deliver the manuscript in May, so that The Thorn of Emberlain can be published in July.

35 minutes ago, Jussi said:

From the new Orion/Gollancz catalogue:

https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/assets/OrionPublishingGroup/downloads/Catalogues/Orion-Rights-Guide-Frontlist-2016.pdf

It looks like Lynch has to deliver the manuscript in May, so that The Thorn of Emberlain can be published in July.

Leaving the standard rule that a Lynch book isn't out till you're holding it in your hands, I can't help but frown at that ridiculous turn around between submission and publication. What on earth happened to the editing process?

Leaving the standard rule that a Lynch book isn't out till you're holding it in your hands, I can't help but frown at that ridiculous turn around between submission and publication. What on earth happened to the editing process?

In a lot of cases books are now edited as they are written. Certainly with Republic large chunks of the book were delivered to the editorial team who provided feedback before the first draft of the later chapters was completed. It's rather common now for any book with a large audience already waiting for it.

It's nothing new, George was doing it when he was writing A Storm of Swords seventeen years ago. That said, if The Thorn of Emberlain does make it out in July, I would be quite surprised, it has to be said. I was getting the feeling it was going to be autumn at best.

Yes, but speaking as someone whose own book is currently going through the editing process, there's a big difference between the quality of "editing as the author writes" and "editing the complete manuscript". The latter is infinitely preferable, because you can safely edit with regard to the rest of the story. You know what is necessary and what is bloat. You can spot and deal with plot holes (including plot holes created by editing). Editing as the author writes works fine for polishing up prose, weeding out weak constructions, violations of show-don't-tell, et cetera, but in the case of more structural concerns, it's placing a massive handicap on the editors. 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 5:35 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Damn, guess I need to finally read the third one huh?

I dunno... as mentioned above.  Until you actually have ToE on your shelf, I'm not sure any release date is certain.

New Orion/Gollancz catalogue (July 2016-January 2017) has been released:

https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/assets/OrionPublishingGroup/downloads/Catalogues/Orion-Catalogue-July-2016-to-January-2017.pdf

It says that The Thorn of Emberlain will be published in July 2016.

http://www.exacteditions.com/read/orionnewtitlescataloguejulyjanuary/orion-new-titles-catalogue-july-2016-january-2017-49709/37/3

Something happens in this book which is hugely controversial and will be the talking point of the year in fantasy

Oh, I'll be right there being sad with you, but I am now thoroughly convinced that this is indeed what will happen, to the point where I'd be more surprised if the thing being hyped was anything else. Jean Tannen is a dead man.

It feels very strange to see them stick to their guns so completely on this July release date when previous experience [albeit just from the reader's perspective] with how books travel through the production process would suggest to us that it's a next to impossible target to hit and there's not been so much as a peep out of Del Rey about the US release.

3 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

If Jean dies so does much of my love for this series. 

Locke & Sabbetha (Sp? Audio books) ain't as interesting a duo. 

It's another reason why bumping off Locke would probably be a more interesting move. Jean and Tabetha work better as there isn't a doomed sense of love overwhelming their interaction and Jean doesn't act like a schoolboy around her.

My post from yesterday must have been swallowed but I was also wondering if the story could function without Locke. I think it could - especially if they "cheat" and have the Locke we know die and be replaced by the original version. For that to happen I'd need to be further convinced that it's really true what the bondsmagi told him.

Archived