Video Games Thread, Son Of Video Games Thread

Inigima

When I was almost done with the Saints Row IV DLC: Enter the Dominatrix I was going to say I was somewhat disappointed in it*, but then the end happened and I think it broke my brain. It is legitimately one of the most batshit insane things I've ever seen. I just wish it had been fully created and it wasn't just storyboards with the recorded dialog (which is what a lot of the DLC's cutscenes were).

So Pierce shows up with a race of interstellar velociraptors to save the day, and then he, the Boss, Shaundi, Kinzie, and Donnie (who, yeah, is in the DLC) go back to the raptors homeworld to reenact the final scene of the original Star Wars film mixed with the Raptor King going all Wizard of Oz and granting them each a wish.

Seriously, what sort of fever dream is?

*The complete destruction of the fourth wall was interesting, but it didn't do enough with it and the missions themselves where pretty short and not too fun.

Werthead, on 30 Jan 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:snapback.png

I think this is going to crash and burn hard.

It gets even better for Xboners. You have to be a XBL Gold subscriber to be able to play ESO.

I don't see ESO doing at all well on PC given the high cost of entry compared to many MMO's that are free download and in many cases are free to play albeit usually with limitations. But on console there aren't too many MMO's so fans of Elder Scrolls on console might get sucked in by this.

In regards to my next Final Fantasy adventure:

IV. Without a doubt. I just finished replaying the 3D remake of it and The After Years on my iPhone.

I downloaded Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection on the Playstation Network, on my PS3, not realizing that it only works on the PSP. What the hell is up with that? Anyway, I'm currently trying to get my brother to lend me his so I can play it through my TV. Unfortunately, it will probably be a month or so until that happens.

So, I downloaded Earthbound on my Wii U instead!

I never played it when it was released on the SNES, and I've always wanted to. The fact that it's ridiculously priced on eBay, it wasn't something that was ever on the top of my list. I figured it would one day be released digitally. I had off of work today, so I was able to get a decent grasp on it. It's pretty fun, but it's insanely dumbed down compared to Final Fantasy VIII. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing either. Earthbound is definitely a change of pace for me as far as RPGs go. The last few I've play have been sort of complex and lengthy. I'm a little relieved that I won't have to be drawing magic or juntioning stats. I won't have to create weapons or figure out weaknesses. I just get to enjoy its story. I've read that it could take anywhere between 20-30 hours to complete. Unfortunately there's no time stamp on the game, but I'll probably be on the higher end of that time frame, since I usually enjoy juicing up my characters.

The game I mentioned a lil while back - Our Darker Purpose - has launched on steam, humble etc. As I said before if the gameplay of Binding of Isaac was your thing then this will be too, and it has great (to my eyes and ears) audio and visual design and loads of replay value.

It does happen sadly. I do smurf occasionally and I always find its better for newcomers to say they are newcomers up front. Most people tend to be less ass-holish then. I'd think mostly they just assume you are also a smurf. Also what I like to do in low level games is just mute everyone once the game starts and just do my thing which may be helpful for ya in the time being. As said it does get better after level 12-15.

Thanks for the advice, you saved the game for me :P (for real) I just started /mute all ing at the beginning of every game and it made a big difference. Don't have to worry about the pressure of "omg is the adc going to bitch this time?" and just do my thing....have gotten a lot better too. Level 14 now and loving it. Thanks!

RPS also have a piece on the initial beta of Steam in home streaming and seem pretty positive about it as well. I really really want this all to work and SteamOS to be a viable alternative to Windows. Not had enough time to be messing around with the beta myself yet, but will probably have a crack at it soon on my old laptop.

3DS/2DS Peeps:

I've just picked up a 2DS, and am looking for some good RPGs to pick up. Is Fire Emblem any good? What about Tales of the Abyss? And Kingdom Hearts? I'm usually a bit wary of KH handheld games, as the previous ones have been pretty poor, to put it politely. And yet I've heard good things about KH: DDD.

3DS/2DS Peeps:

I've just picked up a 2DS, and am looking for some good RPGs to pick up. Is Fire Emblem any good? What about Tales of the Abyss? And Kingdom Hearts? I'm usually a bit wary of KH handheld games, as the previous ones have been pretty poor, to put it politely. And yet I've heard good things about KH: DDD.

Fire Emblem is generally regarded as excellent. I personally had a good time with it until I stressed out too much about the relationships between my characters.

Tales of the Abyss has a super whiny protagonist and I couldn't get past him. Mechanically it's fine.

Haven't played Kingdom Hearts.

Playing Arkham Origins. It's solid, the gameplay is as good as the previous games and even improved, like the new CSI mode which is unrealistic but so much fun it doesn't matter (and re-enacting crime scenes in full 3D and being able to rewind and fast forwards whilst you walk around is really cool, you could base a whole game around that mechanic). However, the writing is pretty flat and the story fairly uninvolving compared to the previous two games. And it's a bit poor that the map is basically the same as Arkham City, just with a few details changed around. They had an opportunity to do a bit more of a Grand Theft Gotham here, and it'd have been cool to have been driving the Batmobile around, but they simply decided to do a re-run of Arkham City. It's fun, but lacking.

So I decided to hop on Dota 2 for the first time in months since this new Ability Draft mode sounds awesome. But apparently the last update made it so game modes unlock as you level up, and because in the 97 hours of Dota 2 that I've played I only got to level 3 I can only play all pick or limited draft. Which sucks because all random and single draft were the only modes I ever played to begin with and now those are unavailable to me.

Oh well, so much for Dota 2.

So I decided to hop on Dota 2 for the first time in months since this new Ability Draft mode sounds awesome. But apparently the last update made it so game modes unlock as you level up, and because in the 97 hours of Dota 2 that I've played I only got to level 3 I can only play all pick or limited draft. Which sucks because all random and single draft were the only modes I ever played to begin with and now those are unavailable to me.

Oh well, so much for Dota 2.

Well, Valve did release an either 400% or 800% battle point booster. Also, I am level 6 and have ability draft unlocked, if that's any help. Just grind to that and have fun. Or buy a battlebooster and laugh at cheap people like me.

Great news, thanks TS.

Dota random ability draft is kind of amazing. I just played a game with a buddy where I was Juggernaut with Lion stun, Luna %damage passive, Tinker laser, and Anti-Mage Mana Break. It was delightful. My friend was Viper with AM Mana Break. Kind of awesome to see AM harassed out of lane with his own passive.

Well, Valve did release an either 400% or 800% battle point booster. Also, I am level 6 and have ability draft unlocked, if that's any help. Just grind to that and have fun. Or buy a battlebooster and laugh at cheap people like me.

Decided to play a round of All Pick, reminded me why I stopped playing it in the first place. Our Bloodseeker quit within the first 3 minutes and never came back, still finished out the game and I did pretty well individually but we couldn't win. I'd say there's at least one leaver in like 90% of the games of Dota 2 I've ever played.

I did hit level 4 and unlock random draft though, so that's nice at least. Lol.

Anyone here have experience with Intel Xeon processors for gaming? The motherboard on my gaming/HT computer just quit, after a loud 'pop' in the CPU socket (I had an i7 940) - had it checked out, and there's no hope of repair. So now I'm looking for a new Intel CPU, having already decided on the latest LGA1150 motherboard. I was originally going to go with an i5-4670k, but noticed a Xeon e3-1230v3 at my local Memory Express that was $40 cheaper than the i5. Only reason I'm contemplating a Xeon is because I heard they're server level processors, so apparently they're workhorses that can handle anything (but no overclock, which isn't that necessary for me). Also they don't have integrated graphics, but that's a non-issue because I have a video card.

I asked the same question on Tom's Hardware but I'm even more confused now. That's typical of that site, I guess (typical of me too, but whatever) :dunno:

Basically without going into the nitty gritty tech details, would there be any difference between the two? I do a bit of video editing, but about 99% of the usage is for gaming and streaming movies and the like. Also it's gonna suck having to possibly reinstall my whole steam library :frown5:

Decided to play a round of All Pick, reminded me why I stopped playing it in the first place. Our Bloodseeker quit within the first 3 minutes and never came back, still finished out the game and I did pretty well individually but we couldn't win. I'd say there's at least one leaver in like 90% of the games of Dota 2 I've ever played.

I did hit level 4 and unlock random draft though, so that's nice at least. Lol.

Just play All Pick as the "fuck all of you, I don't need you" Nature's Prophet. Just jungle, Midas, Necro 3, Desolater. After that, just push, push, push. And get whatever the hell you want. Only lost one game with that. I feel like I know All Pick players, and they tend to enjoy fountain diving and getting kills. This should give you enough time to back door them.

Archived