Video Games Thread, Son Of Video Games Thread

Inigima

ME1 is by far the most difficult of the three games IMO. Your shields and health get obliterated so damn fast, shields take forever to recharge. No recharging health with the heal skill on a minute long cool down. I've died so many more times in 1 than I have in 2 and 3 combined I would think.

Especially at the part in Liara's recruitment mission when you have to fight the Geth Colossus on foot. I always die there at least two or three times, every play through :lol:

As others have said: difficulty in ME1 varies a lot by class. And the Krogan Ally achievement gives you health regeneration (god I'm glad they dropped the gameplay boni from achievements in the later games). Plus that's an Armature, not a Colossus. Much easier.;)

ME2 can be brutally difficult on higher difficulties. I died many, many, many times on the highest difficulty. Fuck some of those fights, especially the planet where you first face off against the Collectors.

ME1 on higher difficulties just makes everything take 10x longer.

I never played ME3 on the higher difficulties so I'm not sure how that one stacks up.

ME3 has the best gameplay, hands down, though it is probably easier than ME2 (nothing beats playing an ME2 vanguard aggressively for pure excitement).

My first playthrough of ME3 was on the second highest difficulty as an Adept and some of the fights were really brutal - the little garden area on the school space station where you save the kids/jack, with the Atlas and a ton of engineers etc is one, a couple of the others I don't specifically remember, and then especially that final fight against a ton of banshees waiting for the missile launcher to fire. Main problem for that last one was I took Liara and Tali (my primary squad from the start of it all back in ME1 when I was playing as a Soldier) and they just didn't synergise well with me on an Adept taking on a bunch of banshees.

Liara synergises well with an adept since she has Warp to set up biotic explosions (and Stasis for enemies with a health bar). The trouble with banshees is that they have an ability that renders them immune to powers for a while, at which point all you can do is shoot them until it wears off.

Liara synergises well with an adept since she has Warp to set up biotic explosions (and Stasis for enemies with a health bar). The trouble with banshees is that they have an ability that renders them immune to powers for a while, at which point all you can do is shoot them until it wears off.

I can't remember exactly what the problem was as it's almost 2 years ago at this point. I think it was just the overall squishiness of the party, as you say Liara is OK but Tali just wasn't doing enough and dropped in no time. I think it was also their locations at the autosave point led to one of them dying almost immediately.

I know when I finally got it I was running around kiting the remaining banshees with both of them dead and no medigel, I hit the launch button with banshees about to kill me lol.

I remember feeling exhausted after finishing that fight. I was playing a vanguard (hey, my powers require me to charge the big bad enemies with instakill abilities!) and on the highest difficulty, without all the experience from multiplayer that makes most of the single player game feel trivial. As far as final fights go it's a pretty good one, the following payoff is just not woth it.

I try to imagine the kind of conversation Shep would have had with Harbinger, there was all that setup in ME2 that just didn't really go anywhere! It's like Harbinger found someone else to obsess over :(

They changed the writer and the entire ending to the trilogy, so all the stuff with Harbinger ended up being completely pointless and didn't lead anywhere. They try to retcon it in the ME3 DLCs and make Harbinger more relevant to the new ending, but it doesn't really work, especially since they don't actually use Harbinger at all (aside from landing and shooting the place up at the end of ME3, I don't think he even appears elsewhere in the game).

I remember feeling exhausted after finishing that fight. I was playing a vanguard (hey, my powers require me to charge the big bad enemies with instakill abilities!) and on the highest difficulty, without all the experience from multiplayer that makes most of the single player game feel trivial. As far as final fights go it's a pretty good one, the following payoff is just not woth it.

Oh man, that fight. I didn't realize it was the final fight when I first played it, and I just couldn't believe how it simply wasn't ending. Garrus and Liara spent most of that fight knocked out, and I spent most of it running around popping off single shots here and there wondering if the game had glitched out and was just stuck on "send more banshees" mode. It was really rather epic, and had me so pumped up for when I had control of Shep again and was standing at the lip of that crater. And then... well, we all know the rest. Such a shame.

ME1 is by far the most difficult of the three games IMO. Your shields and health get obliterated so damn fast, shields take forever to recharge. No recharging health with the heal skill on a minute long cool down. I've died so many more times in 1 than I have in 2 and 3 combined I would think.

Especially at the part in Liara's recruitment mission when you have to fight the Geth Colossus on foot. I always die there at least two or three times, every play through :lol:

Shew. That makes me feel better. That's the mission I was on and it took several attempts to get it right.

They changed the writer and the entire ending to the trilogy, so all the stuff with Harbinger ended up being completely pointless and didn't lead anywhere. They try to retcon it in the ME3 DLCs and make Harbinger more relevant to the new ending, but it doesn't really work, especially since they don't actually use Harbinger at all (aside from landing and shooting the place up at the end of ME3, I don't think he even appears elsewhere in the game).

I was playing along with durckad pretending that fight was the end of the game :p

But the lack of any pay off to the harbinger thing was one of the things that genuinely bothered me about the ending. Such a great 95% that could have had an amazing ending :(

I was playing along with durckad pretending that fight was the end of the game :P

I still don't know what any of you are talking about. You all must have played a different game or something. ;)

Shew. That makes me feel better. That's the mission I was on and it took several attempts to get it right.

Actually the Armature fight I found pretty easy as long as I didn't do anything stupid, like stand out in the open. The fight I found maddeningly hard in ME 1 was the final fight of the Liara recruitment mission against the Krogan warlord and his crew. On my insanity playthrough I think I managed to get to the end of the fight after about 6 failed attempts with about 2% of my health remaining and my 2 squadmates knocked out. And that was only because the Krogan warlord got glitch stuck in a position for a while where I could potshot him from relative safety.

In terms of health recovery I think they got the right balance between auto recovery and the need to use medigel in ME3. Which interestingly enough is the same health "management" system for Resistance: Fall of Man. And I'd never personally come across it prior to R:FOM.

Playing Icewind Dale II for the first time. It's fun. It also has a superb running gag about video game cliches.

"You know, when I first arrived here they had me killing rats in a warehouse for ages! They said it was 'character-building'. And then I was running all over town doing menial tasks for peasants in return for truly pitiful amounts of gold."

"And that ended after a while, did it?"

"Erm..."

When a game released in 2002 accurately lists problems in the genre that games are unironically still using years later, you know the genre has a problem.

Actually the Armature fight I found pretty easy as long as I didn't do anything stupid, like stand out in the open. The fight I found maddeningly hard in ME 1 was the final fight of the Liara recruitment mission against the Krogan warlord and his crew. On my insanity playthrough I think I managed to get to the end of the fight after about 6 failed attempts with about 2% of my health remaining and my 2 squadmates knocked out. And that was only because the Krogan warlord got glitch stuck in a position for a while where I could potshot him from relative safety.

Yeah, I found both fights were of the same level of difficulty. What made the Krogan battlemaster obnoxious was that you couldn't save right before the fight, but had to get the whole elevator/cutscene again for each try.

Both fights were probably among the top-5 most difficult in the game - can't really remember right now if I found another one tougher.

Any trip reports on The Wolf Among Us? I'm hearing it's REALLY short and not nearly as well written as the first episode. :/

Its short and not as well written as the first episode. It feels rushed, rather than indicative of poor quality work. (Some of the "next on TWAU" scenes were the same ones from the end of ep1). A lot of scenes were pretty well done, though, just not like the detective scene near the end of Ep1.

I'd wait until all the eps are out unless you got it on steam like I did.

Yeah, I found both fights were of the same level of difficulty. What made the Krogan battlemaster obnoxious was that you couldn't save right before the fight, but had to get the whole elevator/cutscene again for each try.

Both fights were probably among the top-5 most difficult in the game - can't really remember right now if I found another one tougher.

I didn't have trouble with the Krogan at all, but it was mainly luck. I'm still learning how best to control my party members and I had Garrus and Kaiden with me and they seemed to have focus fired and killed the Krogan before I even had a chance to take cover and set up my plan for the fight. :dunno:

I had the game saved right before the fight with the Geth Colossus though, and I can't tell you how many times I lost the fight because I had zoned out during the long cutscene with the Geth hoppers and such and wasn't ready when gameplay picked back up.

Knowing that those two fights are two of the hardest in the game makes me feel a bit better about moving forward with the game.

I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus I had Garrus

If you have Garrus, you will always be ok. He'll be your rock.

I'm not sure how well you could ever translate an ES game into MMO. A lot of the appeal for me is that you're The Guy. Characters live and die by your hand, the world doesn't change unless you make it, everything hinges on you basically. Some games did it better than others, but that was the basic gist, and that can't be done in an MMO. You'll just be one of the many boring grunts running around accomplishing little.

Anyone want to start a betting pool on how quickly it goes F2P? :P

Heh, I'm hoping it does just so I can give it a whirl without paying anything for it. :dunno:

Archived