Speaking Up: My Tale of Fearing a Beating

MercenaryChef

Based on what ended up happening yes it is.

I don't get all this shit about the situation being so dangerous. If staring down a drunken asshole is the most dangerous thing you have done in the last year you either lead an extremely sheltered and/or boring life. Besides the dangerous dudes are not normally the loud ones.

Ah, I get you. Still, doesn't make much difference from a general decision making standpoint.

As for the bolded.I actually do thank you very much , and I very much want to keep it that way :P.The gain/loss equation simply doesn't work for me, even if my fear of ending up on Worldstar is a bit paranoid.

Not trying to be insulting, please don't misunderstand. I simply would like to live in a world where more people stood up like MC did. So I try to lead by example. I'm in no way a huge dude. I'm tall and have somewhat broad shoulders and can be slightly intimidating when I work up to it but I'm a far cry from say... Stego. That doesn't stop me from speaking my mind or interjecting myself into situations when I see people being mistreated by others. If I take a beating one of these days so be it. I used to go to high school in an area of the Bronx that people didn't like to walk around in, I've had guns and knives pulled on me more times than I can count. A loud drunken white dude on the train is almost a joke.

nah, relic. this guy would have pounded me mightily. between being seated without a good way out and this guy's size and obvious anger i was in trouble. his friends knew it too. luckily they did not want him to beat me.

i would have certainly smashed him in the face with a beer bottle though had he laid a finger upon me. that is not be trying to be a threatening tough guy but as someone who is pretty vested in my own self preservation.

i love the idea that maybe one person on the train would be inspired to stand up against bullshit themselves one day (albeit less aggressively than i did). but, i did it for me. i would have felt like a piece of shit had i ridden home in silence letting that go on.

Not trying to be insulting, please don't misunderstand. I simply would like to live in a world where more people stood up like MC did. So I try to lead by example. I'm in no way a huge dude. I'm tall and have somewhat broad shoulders and can be slightly intimidating when I work up to it but I'm a far cry from say... Stego. That doesn't stop me from speaking my mind or interjecting myself into situations when I see people being mistreated by others. If I take a beating one of these days so be it. I used to go to high school in an area of the Bronx that people didn't like to walk around in, I've had guns and knives pulled on me more times than I can count. A loud drunken white dude on the train is almost a joke.

I hear you and I get it.

nah, relic. this guy would have pounded me mightily. between being seated without a good way out and this guy's size and obvious anger i was in trouble. his friends knew it too. luckily they did not want him to beat me.

i would have certainly smashed him in the face with a beer bottle though had he laid a finger upon me. that is not be trying to be a threatening tough guy but as someone who is pretty vested in my own self preservation.

i love the idea that maybe one person on the train would be inspired to stand up against bullshit themselves one day (albeit less aggressively than i did). but, i did it for me. i would have felt like a piece of shit had i ridden home in silence letting that go on.

I have been in your situation, MC, and I did what you did. It does take a lot of courage, and I can understand why Kair would be pissed at you too since you were at risk of a beating. Most of the time I got away with standing up for some one else and I think I helped make the world a better place. But then there were the times when it did not go so well. I was young then and healed quickly. I also have really fast reflexes. Words work better especially if you can make the asshole the butt of a joke that makes his friends laugh. One other thing. I bet a lot of passengers on that train went home thinking 'I wish I had the courage to do what that guy did.'

Some risks are worth taking. Especially if there were people in the train who were being offended but were unable to stand up for themselves. At the very least MC might have inspired a few folks to speak up next time the same thing happened around them.

At worst he proved to himself, if no one else, that there are still people in the US who don't totally have their heads up their own asses and are willing to step in and stand up to a bully.

So in this case, no one got injured. What happens in the next one when the drunk is more aggressive and does start throwing down?

Well I like to believe you inspired someone. Maybe you didn't and that's a fucking shame. He's lucky he had more sensible buddies with him. If he took a swing at you and connected he'd probably end up in prison. One of the benefits of living in a lawful society. I guess the lesson here is that in the future don't escalate the situation if you can help it. Speak your mind and leave it at that unless he physically assaults someone.

So in this case, no one got injured. What happens in the next one when the drunk is more aggressive and does start throwing down?

Them you live with the consequences of your convictions, I suppose. Usually, however, those types of situations can be diffused if you stay calm.

Some risks are worth taking. Especially if there were people in the train who were being offended but were unable to stand up for themselves. At the very least MC might have inspired a few folks to speak up next time the same thing happened around them.

At worst he proved to himself, if no one else, that there are still people in the US who don't totally have their heads up their own asses and are willing to step in and stand up to a bully.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. This one most definitely doesn't sound like one worth taking.

At best, a drunken idiot shuts up. Probably learns nothing. And that's slim, given the behaviour on display. And all it stops is an idiot mouthing off to thin air.

At worst, what actually happens is a fight ensues and someone is seriously injured or killed. And given the state of the idiot in question and his behaviour, it's leaning more towards violence then anything else.

You do know that most fights don't end with serious injury and/or death, right? Otherwise, sure, non violence is always best... If.

You do know that sometimes fight do end with serious injury and death, right? That every time you decide to engage in fisticuffs with random strangers, you are rolling the dice on trauma and legal charges?

Arguing with drunken violent idiots is a recipe for getting into nasty fights and fights are a recipe for getting yourself hurt.

he threatened me. his friends reacted quickly trying to calm him. it became clear to me that sam beat people on the regular. i was worried about where i was sitting on an inside seat would not give me a good chance to not get my head bounced off the window when he pounced. carefully i pulled a beer bottle from my backpack on the floor. [bold] at one point i contemplated just lashing out first and hitting him in the face.[/bold]

kair is pissed. [bold] i love her more than all the bacon, beer and metal in the world[/bold]

Trying not to be the bigger guy is the easy part. Trying not to be the biggest guy is really hard. Watch your fucking mouth man. It will get you beat the fuck up. Kair's right. Learn some southern placation or be prepared for a beating. You're not going to stop shutting down evil, but tact and charm help to keep you from the foot out your face.

eta: (I hate this phone) Your bacon, beer, metal comment was a thread win

It's good to stand up and do something. I've done it before, yet I try to avoid violence. I am just a small girl and wouldn't stand a chance against some big guy. I use this as my streangth though and ridicule the bully for picking on others. It also helps to involve bystanders by directly speaking to them. Kinda like: "Hey you, help us out here, call the cops, don't you see what's going on?.." or something like this...

But it all depends on the situation, I guess in some situations my tactic wouldn't work. Though I'd probably try to mobilize others against the bully if possible any way...

You do know that most fights don't end with serious injury and/or death, right? Otherwise, sure, non violence is always best... If.

I'm pretty confident this one would have ended in serious injury to someone if MC had tried to glass the guy in the face as soon as he touched him. That's a hell of an escalation. The only question is whether it would have been the guy, MC or an innocent bystander. Hopefully it wouldn't have been the pregnant lady close by.

I fall sort of along the same lines as what Tempra and Altherion already mentioned.

If someone is just using very bad language, faggots this and that etc, but not directed at one particular passenger on your train, or at least not repeatedly, then I would just let it be.

It's a different story if someone is personally bullied and looks threatened/fearful and like he or she cannot defend herself properly in such a situation. Something like that might get me to rise and interfere.

It seems like you were in an incredibly tense situation by the way, I can really feel it through your post.

But I am not sure if speaking up was really necessary in this situation. Brave for certain, but maybe you thought it would really get out of hand if you didn't say something and you didn't mention that in your post.

Archived