[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

teemo

Tiny tiny thing. Ser Preston is still alive apparently. Hardly makes a difference to anything really. Other than that, nothing at all. Arya's scene was slightly different than the book but just as good. Not sure what she's going to do for the rest of the season, though.

That's actually not a bad investment. Michael K Williams has nothing for Omar and yet Emilia Clarke was nominated?

On this topic, I don't even approve of Game of Thrones itself getting nominated for best drama yet The Wire getting nothing ever. Season 1 of Game of Thrones was fantastic, and deserved to be nominated for best drama for 2011, but even then it's still but a shadow of the quality of The Wire. Who knows how these awards are chosen and given out :dunno:

Fight scene was too short!

Not as well elaborated as the book, should have added about 2 or 3 more minutes.

:lol: I think it would have been better to have a shorter quality fight. This seemed just too lame to me.

1- I have a feeling they were trying to do a clever pre-fight banter scene, but I think it fell completely flat. It looked like they were trying way too hard to reference the Inglorious Basterds bar brawl and failed.

-Brienne herself wasn't a waste of time but why have her have this conversation with Margaery and not Loras? Perhaps we'll have a Brienne/Loras scene next week or the one after that .. but there was potential for a very emotional scene in an otherwise flat and exposition-heavy episode.

I agree, they completely botched that fight scene.

And well, that's why Brienne was a waste of time. There was absolutely no point to her exchange with the Tyrells. No emotions, no tension, no fans of Renly (or so I think) to shout out to. I was half hoping for a Cersei-Brienne or a Tywin-Brienne scene if it comes to Brienne, because THAT would have been interesting. Not this though :/

I don't have much to nitpick, I was happy w/the episode, and relieved.

Don't like the new Daario, he's worse than the old one. At least Ed was 'hot'. This guy looks like every other guy with brown hair and beard.

It was a bit random that Dontos gives her the necklace and then is just I guess banking on her for sure, totally, definitely wearing it at the wedding...kind of a big gamble.

I don't have much to nitpick, I was happy w/the episode, and relieved.

Don't like the new Daario, he's worse than the old one. At least Ed was 'hot'. This guy looks like every other guy with brown hair and beard.

It was a bit random that Dontos gives her the necklace and then is just I guess banking on her for sure, totally, definitely wearing it at the wedding...kind of a big gamble.

The new Daario is cheesy as hell. Giving Dany those flowers? Really? Felt like something from the Bachelor

On this topic, I don't even approve of Game of Thrones itself getting nominated for best drama yet The Wire getting nothing ever. Season 1 of Game of Thrones was fantastic, and deserved to be nominated for best drama for 2011, but even then it's still but a shadow of the quality of The Wire. Who knows how these awards are chosen and given out :dunno:

I think if the Wire was airing now it would need a wheelbarrow to carry their awards. That was sort of before the HBO publicity machine made every show they have massive for a little while, so I don't think a lot of people knew about it. Back then it seemed like it was just Sopranos and the Wire and Sopranos got all the accolades.

There are always going to be head scratchers. Emilia Clarke was nominated and Sean Bean was not? Once more with Feeling (Buffy) didn't get even a nomination? Dark Knight didn't get a nomination?

The new Daario is cheesy as hell. Giving Dany those flowers? Really? Felt like something from the Bachelor

That's straight from the books. Including his excuse about her needing to know the land.

It's been like five minutes and I'm already sick of the whole Dany/Daario flirting nonsense in the show. Just hurry up and fuck already, we all know it's gonna happen. A whole season at least of this will they/won't they... Urgh. It's gonna be difficult. Let's just hope the siege of Meereen balances stuff out.

Don't like the fact that they made Sansa unaware of the escape plan. It makes her come across as an object instead of actively taking part of her escape and asserting some very limited agency. I hate how they go all the way to portray Sansa as a damsel in distress when she is much more than that. Luckily grrm wrote the next episode. So at least he can save the purple wedding.

I don't think Tyrion is trying to be faithful to Sansa, so much as he's not in the mood for sex with all the murder and threats of violence going around him. He used to think being a Lannister was cool, now it's like living in Caligula's court or as one of Saddam Hussein's nephews.

I do think Tyrion being a good and honorable man who goes a little crazy at the end is perfectly in-character, though.

Yeah, I like the way it's done in the books.

What really drives Tyrion over the edge is of course killing his father and his ex-lover, followed by? (I'm not certain of the order of events) learning that Tysha was NOT a whore hired by Jaime.

Then events in Essos conspire to keep him in this amoral survival state of mind most of the time.

It's psychologically believable, concise while still having some subtlety and room for reader interpretation.

Come to think on it, leaving ample room for reader interpretation seems to be a hallmark of GRRM's writing that doesn't make it into the TV series much.

This episode was truly bad, in comparison to earlier episodes.

The dispute between Jaime and Tywin was botched, rushed, and sucked.

The New Daario i like. Oberyn is fucking great, but i don't see why we need to see boobs to appreciate him.

The fight scene wasn't that bad, but wasn't all that impressive either.

Brienne-Margaery was completely pointless.

Dontos came out of thin air, when he should have been around in Season 2 and 3 instead. And give a useless necklace, instead of the (in)famous hairnet.

The Thenns were offputting.

Emilia Clarke still can't act for shit.

Kit Harrington has improved :D (finally).

I hated the inn-scene, it is one my favourite scenes in the books and they did not do it justice at all. It lacked all the tension from the book, the actual fighting was kind of crappy, the dialogue was crappy and no berserk-Arya was disappointing..

I'm pretty sure for the awards like best drama the showrunners have to put forwards a specific episode as a contender - which hamstrings the Wire as it didn't rely on having a single big showy episode to win over the voters on and was more of a slow burn

Is a small nitpick but it bothered me that when Arya strikes Polliver across the back in the tavern fight, she is using her right hand. Arya is left handed and would not have used the sword in that manner.

I'm pretty sure for the awards like best drama the showrunners have to put forwards a specific episode as a contender - which hamstrings the Wire as it didn't rely on having a single big showy episode to win over the voters on and was more of a slow burn

That's true, but Final Grades is like the best episode of TV ever, although I guess to really feel the emotional punch of certain scenes you need every other episode as context.

I thought it was a great episode so I don't have much to nitpick. I'm just not sure what to think about New Daario, but I didn't really know what to think about old Daario. Maybe he is just a difficult character to make work, but then I think about Captain Hook on Once Upon a Time and to me, that's what I think is sort of the kinda guy Daario should be similar to and I'm not seeing it. But it's just the first episode, so I'll reserve judgment.

I thought overall it was a great episode - the only letdown being Dany's scenes. The dragons were amazing and that was about it.

Archived