[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

teemo

1- I have a feeling they were trying to do a clever pre-fight banter scene, but I think it fell completely flat. It looked like they were trying way too hard to reference the Inglorious Basterds bar brawl and failed.

I thought this was 100 times more funny than Inglorious Bastards.

Who could beat this exchange?

The Hound: You're a talker. Listening to talkers makes me thirsty and hungry. Think I'll take two chickens.

Polliver: You don't seem to understand the situation.

The Hound: I understand that if any more words come pouring out your cunt mouth, I'm going to have to eat every fucking chicken in this room.

Polliver: You lived your life for the king. You're going to die for some chickens?

The Hound: Someone is.

Har!!

I liked the Daario and Dany flower scene, in the books, she remembered he gave her flowers over and over again in a romantic way.

Most of the Jaime and all the Brienne scenes felt like filler, the scene together was basically, we can't rescue Sansa yet because we're back too early. There was a scene with Jaime trying to comfort Brienne after she learned about the Red Wedding on the way back that would have been better. Cersei was repulsed by his stump from the start so they played that right, I counted nearly a dozen times she mentioned it disparagingly.

I could nitpick the whole thing, my hopes are pretty low for the show, I just enjoy a scene here and there.

I liked the Daario and Dany flower scene, in the books, she remembered he gave her flowers over and over again in a romantic way.

Most of the Jaime and all the Brienne scenes felt like filler, the scene together was basically, we can't rescue Sansa yet because we're back too early. There was a scene with Jaime trying to comfort Brienne after she learned about the Red Wedding on the way back that would have been better. Cersei was repulsed by his stump from the start so they played that right, I counted nearly a dozen times she mentioned it disparagingly.

I could nitpick the whole thing, my hopes are pretty low for the show, I just enjoy a scene here and there.

I thought this episode is already a big improvement over almost every episode from season 3, which I pretty much despised.

Bringing Jamie back early and having him there for the wedding kind of puts a stake through the heart of 'keeping my oath to Cat' but in the grand scheme of things...compared to some of the insane stuff done last year..it's no big deal for me.

I was in fact sort of pleased with this episode, they didn't make a botch of it, as they did of S02E01. There was little wasted screen time.

- Podric looks like Gendry

Not lame things that bother me:

- I don't think Oberyn would pay for sex. I don't think Oberyn needs to pay for sex.

- Daario Naharis is still not hot or witty or hot headed or memorable or anything he's supposed to be. Nothing to distinguish him from a random soldier in a random tavern. Not a costume, not any make-up, not a hairstyle, not memorable lines.

- A 5-minute scene in the tavern so Arya can kill Polliver? A 3-minute dialogue between Polliver and the Hound, just so Polliver can die in 5 minutes? Completely useless and unnecessary and waste of time. The fight scene was way too long too.

-Brienne. Another waste of screen time. WTF was that scene with the Tyrells? Fine, Margaery got another chance to be cute and we saw Joff's glorious statue. That was the only point in the whole scene.

YES, the actor who plays Podric does look a lot like Joe Dempsie.

It's a bit of a shame that they didn't take advantage of that fact by having Edric Storm appear in the show, played by Daniel Portman.

It would have emphasized the "the seed is strong" storyline quite effectively.

They didn't waste too much screen time with scenes that weren't in the books this time, but I still wish they'd minimize it even further.

Every minute that is devoted to things that don't happen in the books is a minute that they can't use for stuff that DID happen in the books.

I thought the scene was nice, but it wasn't really worth bringing them back early. And also, they had to regress Jaime a bit from all the character development he got last season, even though he did pretty much admit Sansa is definitely NOT safe in KL. At least that.

Jon was a better sword than Robb and a better or just as good rider. But I don't have a problem with his lack of reaction over Robb's death - I think he was really angry and it came out like self-blame - "I used to hate him..." and now he's dead, damn. I think Jon just doesn't chat about feelings. Loved the trial scene. Can't wait for a block to be fetched.

I thought the scene was nice, but it wasn't really worth bringing them back early. And also, they had to regress Jaime a bit from all the character development he got last season, even though he did pretty much admit Sansa is definitely NOT safe in KL. At least that.

I think they were in a bit of bind with what to do with Jaime at the end of S3/the start of S4. They didn't want to leave him hanging from S3 E07 until S4 E03, but didn't want him back in KL early either. It was just a case of picking their poison. Imo it might have been neat to have a final confrontation with Locke in episode 10, (let's say Locke comes after them), resulting in Locke's death or capture (in the case of the latter allowing him to be sent off to the NW in S4.). Then missing out the first couple of episodes wouldn't be quite so egregious in S4.

That, they played right indeed, but the refusal to have sex...? That wasn't quite so in the books. :leaving: And that Mother's altar scene was so epicly funny and gross in the book.

And I absolutely agree about Jaime and Brienne scenes.

I didn't really like Jaime completely ignoring the fact that Cersei is supposed to wed Loras. He just let's it pass, whereas he should be furious or at least irritated.

Has Jon's accent changed? When he barks back at Slynt about how he lived with the wildlings I felt like his accent suddenly become stronger. Not sure if on purpose.

I think they were in a bit of bind with what to do with Jaime at the end of S3/the start of S4. They didn't want to leave him hanging from S3 E07 until S4 E03, but didn't want him back in KL early either. It was just a case of picking their poison. Imo it might have been neat to have a final confrontation with Locke in episode 10, (let's say Locke comes after them), resulting in Locke's death or capture (in the case of the latter allowing him to be sent off to the NW in S4.). Then missing out the first couple of episodes wouldn't be quite so egregious in S4.

I guess you're right, and I also would have preferred an extra made up scene and have them back later. The timing feels off to me, but I can't tell whether it's because I read the books before the show so I've had a certain image in my mind for years now, or because it actually makes little sense in the show context, too.

On one side I do understand Jaime's hands (I'm sorry) are tied and there isn't much either he or Brienne can do to help Sansa, but still, it's making Jaime look a bit wishy-washy. Although I don't agree with the people saying he's "pfft honour", because when Brienne told him to look at her and tell her Sansa was safe, he couldn't lie. So he's like... On the fence, I suppose. Which I'm not sure was the best choice after his character progression last season.

Didn't really like the Thenns. Obviously they're not supposed to be as civilised as the others, but they've gone over the top by making them look like borderline emotionless cannibals who look like Orcs. I do like that they're putting focus on Ygritte/Tormund though, so it's not going to just be the good watch guys against the evil wildlings and we'll actually see it from both sides.

Jaime became Barristan's squire according to the white book, :dunno:, I don't remember much interaction between them in the show.

I thought it said he squired for Ser Arthur Dayne?

Tiny tiny thing. Ser Preston is still alive apparently. Hardly makes a difference to anything really. Other than that, nothing at all. Arya's scene was slightly different than the book but just as good. Not sure what she's going to do for the rest of the season, though.

I caught that as well, it kinda saddens me that there hasn't been mention of Ser Balon Swann joining the KG, I think Loras still hasn't joined either to replace Ser Mandon Moore.

I've never been a fan of Shae in either medium, she's just annoying to me and I'm kinda tired of seeing her.

Couple of things that haven't been mentioned:

Ygritte (in an earlier season) made a big deal to Jon about burning the bodies of the dead to keep them from becoming wights for the White Walkers. Ok, that's fine. But if the Thenns have been cannibals, presumably for hundreds of years, then both the Wildings and the Nightswatch would already have been careful about getting rid of dead bodies. At least that is how I see it. If you often fight cannibals, you would be wary of just burying your or their dead.

Oberyn. I didn't like the brothel scene. I don't feel like the actor looks old enough for the character. I bet Doran will look way older than him. TV viewers won't get that they are brothers.

Tyrion and Oberyn. In the books, when Tyrion lands at Pentos he plans his return to Westeros even before talking to Illyrio. And he's thinking of one place - Dorne. He says it a few times. But here we get a ton of animosity between Tyrion and the Dornish. Tyrion is quite afraid of them. Maybe he grows closer to them later, but from this episode I can't see Tyrion thinking of Dorne as a place to welcome him.

Jon's reaction to Robb's death was a little disappointing...his brother was brutally murdered...not just his rival.

I think they should have used this to play on the harshness of his vows (he can't do anything for his family) making him numb, rather than using it as character development in the sense 'always overlooked...life sucks when your a bastard.'

I'm hoping we get the Ghost reunion with 'I thought you had left me like Ygritte and Robb' to make up for it.

The continuous assault on Jaime Lannister as one of the most feared warriors ever.

S1 = Eddard verbally jousting with him about how he never faced real men in battle blah blah bah

S3 = Brienne shit talks him saying he sucks at fighting and his reputation is a lie (Despite in her own head saying a weakened hand bound Jaime was the toughest person she has ever fought)

S4 = Joffrey...JOFFREY says he's 40 years old and even with a hand couldn't do anything

Yeesh. I'm not even a Jaime fanboy, but my friends who only watch the show think he is some kind of a joke as a fighter and would get his ass kicked by Eddard, Robb, Jon...Jorah...and Daario (I wanted to punch the three at that point)

In the end though, I don't think it will destroy his arc. Just hurt my insignificant feelings.

I think Jons actor implied he had done that scene. Something about having to act as if a tennis ball was your belived pet.

When Jamies captured they said he killed a dozen men by himself before being taken down. This is in the show. He also wiped the floor with Jory.

Archived