R+L=J v.78

Angalin

More suggestions to the "they simply didn't run away because they're selfish" party.

What if Lyanna was meant to go South intentionally by her father's orders? Ned and Brandon weren't there, and Benjen was young. If he meant to send a message concerning a plot to take over Aerys or anything related to his "southern ambitions" what's more innocent than sending your own daughter? Maybe Lyanna herself didn't know either. And worst, what if he sent her with Rhaegar (for whatever reasons he was in the North), thinking that she would be safe with the Prince (cousin of her betrothed) and two KG? Maybe Brandon never knew and he simply heard "they're running away together!" and by the time war started, he decided it was better to hide Lyanna?

Discuss.

Wolf blood led her to an early grave, though, so there must have been some guilt on her part.

But is it ok if we discuss details from the show that have to do with R+L=J?

I would think that R+L=J is an over-arching theme from both the show and the books. After all we do have the R+L that was carved into the wall at Castle Black (notably behind Jon Snow). We have the fate of Hightower from both.

I wonder how Jaime aged 23 years in the show, though. He was seventeen when he slew Aerys, and suddenly he is forty.

I would think that R+L=J is an over-arching theme from both the show and the books. After all we do have the R+L that was carved into the wall at Castle Black (notably behind Jon Snow). We have the fate of Hightower from both.

I wonder how Jaime aged 23 years in the show, though. He was seventeen when he slew Aerys, and suddenly he is forty.

I guess Joffrey was just rounding up the closest full number to Jaime's actual age. Jaime in the show is in his late 30ies on the first day of 300 AC, which the show has now reached.

And it looked like Hodor had a little more trouble carrying Bran given it looked like his feet were almost dragging the ground.

I was reading the last few pages and theories about R+L here

Very interesting some point of views

I, however, believe that for Rhaegar to take off with Lyanna without struggle, something must have happened between them during that one year after Harrenhal. It just makes more sense to me that they were having some kind of contact, either by letters or secret meetings, an affair was going on.

It seems bizarre for Rhaegar to suddenly appear in front of Lyanna and she agree with him to run off together if they just met each other briefly in Harrenhal one year before.

I was reading the last few pages and theories about R+L here

Very interesting some point of views

I, however, believe that for Rhaegar to take off with Lyanna without struggle, something must have happened between them during that one year after Harrenhal. It just makes more sense to me that they were having some kind of contact, either by letters or secret meetings, an affair was going on.

It seems bizarre for Rhaegar to suddenly appear in front of Lyanna and she agree with him to run off together if they just met each other briefly in Harrenhal one year before.

I agree! If they were in fact in love before the "abduction," I would hope they met each other or spoke more than once or twice. If not, I would have trouble taking the love story as seriously. And I say that as someone who adores romance.

I do like the theory that perhaps Aerys found out Lyanna was TKotLT and Rhaegar "abducted" her to protect her. I don't see why love developing after that would be so odd. There really are so many possibities with these two and how everything went down, but I do believe they loved each other.

But is it ok if we discuss details from the show that have to do with R+L=J?

There are none. But A+J=T is confirmed numerous times in The Lion and The Rose.

Folks, the show is its own canon. Discussion of details from the show that are not present in the novels should stick to the TV show section of the site.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/107475-the-purple-wedding-gifts-revisited-the-book-the-sword-the-dagger-and-the-mothers-cry/

This might sound crazy but you are my HERO! Just thought you'd wanna take a look at this. I figured out the mystery surrounding the Book, the Sword , the Dagger and the Mother's Cry ( Widow's Wail ).

I for one do hope we get some clarification and answers on the basic questions from the show given the books come out twice in a decade.

:agree: I was surprised when my post was delated today. It was spoiler tagged and only contained a list of 3 R+L=J related hints from season 4 (so far). Hints we have already discussed on this thread several times - under the spoiler tag - in the past two weeks. If the show gives away some major R+L=J clues/revelations, what should we do? Pretend and ignore them? :dunno: Wouldn't it be slightly... ridiculous? I'm perfectly aware the show is not the books, especially in regards to details, arcs developement and characterizations, but I'm also aware major plot points and endgames have been and probably will be quite consistent. The journey can differ, not so sure about the destination though. Last year's meeting between GRRM and the show runners/writers should be in itself a clue ;)

:agree: I was surprised when my post was cancelled today. It was spoiler tagged and only contained a list of 3 R+L=J related hints from season 4 (so far). Hints we have already discussed on this thread several times - under the spoiler tag - in the past two weeks. If the show gives away some major R+L=J clues/revelations, what should we do? Pretend and ignore them? :dunno: Wouldn't it be slightly... ridiculous? I'm perfectly aware the show is not the books, especially in regards to details, arcs developement and characterizations, but I'm also aware major plot points and endgames have been and probably will be quite consistent. The journey can differ, not so sure about the destination though. Last year's meeting between GRRM and the show runners/writers should be in itself a clue ;)

Yes we are definitely stuck in a Catch 22 here. We cant discuss R+L=J fully on the HBO part of the site as there would be massive spoilers for all the show watchers, and we can't discuss the show here even if it pertains to the subject we are discussing?

Plus I tried to start a 'hints from the show to the books' thread in the general discussion forum and it was deleted by the Mods. Mods, can't we agree that there are a ton of hints from the show to some of the future outcomes in the books which cannot be discussed in the show section???

Plus there is no decent conversation with the TV people as they know nothing....What are we to do?

Archived