A Balanced Review of Show Stannis [Book Spoilers]

Do D & D even understand the story and characters they are bringing to the screen. I have very little faith in them doing a good job if they over take the books.

I expect no other thing than stannis butchering wilding women and children just when Jon Snow is almost reaching a paceful agreement with mance.
Perhaps with SW imperial march as soundtrack.

"Mel, Mel, Mel"

On a serious note if they don't shout Stannis then it is 100% undeniable proof that they hate his character and are trying to sabotage his heroic moment.

I really don't see Stannis beig portrait as a pure vilain. Vilains in this show (and on the books, until the author changes his mind) are veeery vilains and show no sign of good in them. Tywin, Cercei, Jeoff, they are vilains. Stannis in the books is a confused man (in te Show too) with very straight ideas of what is the "right" (not in the Show yet) to do. That's a problem because seeing the show we know that he's not all bad but he strikes as a weak person with little convictions. That can easily be fixed, IMO.

But, if we want to discuss water under the bridge, the scene that could have saved all that debate would be the conversation between him and Renly before the battle that never hapened. That exchange between the two is by far the best chapter in this inconsistent series of books. And that chapter made of Stannis my favorite.

To be honest, I never liked Stannis, the book Stannis was an asshole but when he started burning people, I thought HERETIC. The only time I felt any admiration for him is when he decided to listen to Jon Snow and do as he suggested and took the war to Roose Bolton. any other time, I cannot stand him. He was right to want to WANT punish Renly but kinslaying is different.

I've always been a Stannis fan and that was even though I saw most of the first three seasons before ever opening one of the books. This forum seems to badly overestimate how evil he is perceived as. As he explains to Davos, it's pretty damn hard to deny that the god he is serving is real and he is the lawful king. He takes some extreme measures that push moral boundaries, but he's also the only of the original five kings still living. The graveyards of Westeros are full of honorable, just, merciful men. The throne is not.

I also don't understand why people are expecting it to be a surprise when he goes to the wall. He already made that decision in "Mhysa" when Davos reads him the letter from the Night's Watch and Melisandre says the true war is to the north, with the only enemy that matters. After that, I halfway expected this season to just scuttle the remainder of the Dragonstone storyline and push the battle for the wall and his movement way forward until they released the episode schedule.

When they had him use the word infidel I about flipped the table.

Now, after a second viewing, I think that may have been more of a knee jerk reaction. Stannis looked particularly glum during the burning and didn't want to hear from Selyse about how beautiful it all was. He isn't interested in the religious humbug. I feel like his answer to Davos is the only answer he had ie: "Melisandre wanted to burn them, she promised me it would help my ships get north, so for this to make any sense to anyone else, like davos, I'll just tell them its because they're infidels" If they were traitors it might have made more sense to behead them. The justification for "burning" would be the religious heresy.

Now some of this hopeful re-examination is undone by stannis explaining "they didn't tear down their idols". I can't repair everything about this fuckup by the show writers, but i can mitigate the damage in my mind. Because...

At dinner Stannis says he hates a great many things, but he suffers them all the same. I feel/hope he may have been referring to the burnings.

I really liked Stannis's time in this episode. The way that D and D describe it in the "Inside the Episode" video is very measured actually. Yes, he's committed himself more to Mel's ways but its still practically-motivated. It's true that he never accepts this much of her ways in the books (and of course all of this is off-screen/invented stuff anyways) but it made for a well-written, well-acted scene. It was obvious that Stan had disdain for his wife's mumbo-jumbo and that he uncomfortable and unimpressed by the ritual anyways. That was clear in Dillane's bearing throughout the beach scene. His use of the word "infidel" obviously drew a lot of your ire, but he was quick to explain the real reason; the guy disobeyed him.

Also he had some of his best lines yet in the dinner scene. "I hate a good many things but I suffer them all the same" is a great one for instance. Dillane pulled if off really well, especially him fiddling with his food and his curt responses to Selyse. Those of you who are in panic mode ought to rewatch the episode and calm yourselves.

In the book stannis only does two burnings a traitor and cannibals so having him burn infidels cause they won't tear down their idols and convert is BS stannis himself doesn't fully convert to r'hllor he uses it as a means to an end.

I am not a happy Stanstan. RAAAWR! :tantrum: :bang:

I wonder how bad the adaptation of Stannis has to get before the forums stop painting us as paranoid whiners. On the plus side, how much better does Season 3's take on the character look by comparison? lol. I don't know if it can get any worse than this, despite my hopes that they give him a good redemption arc.

My unsullied other half considers Stannis to be a villain.

They have cut most of Stannis' best lines and his moral quandaries. Having Axel burnt because of faith rather than treason is a huge change in character motivation.

It is almost as if D&D think as long as we get from point A to B in the story it is a faithful adaptation, regardless of the characters and their journey.

I wonder how bad the adaptation of Stannis has to get before the forums stop painting us as paranoid whiners. On the plus side, how much better does Season 3's take on the character look by comparison? lol. I don't know if it can get any worse than this, despite my hopes that they give him a good redemption arc.

Cannibalism?

I don't understand the problem with the word "infidel" amongst American viewers.

Wait for Stannis to claim he needs his plans to evolve.

Anyway, I think I'm keeping my comments about Stannis until he actually reaches to his triumphant moment. I think that scene will be the breaking point of Stannis' fate and future in the show. And DD are just setting him up to it.

IF by that time, half the viewers are chanting "Stannis! Stannis! Stannis!", well... hah hah.

But they were good scenes you guys! Aggghhh.

I know people who prefer show Stannis aren't a very vocal contingent of the fandom, but goddamnit, I'm one of them.

you can never go wrong with more "villains", thats a thing, i guess

but, dammit, i want The Mannis :crying:

They seriously better make him look like Jesus curing AIDS and feeding orphans when he gets to that damn Wall.

LOL, for real!

I guess that's why they're setting up the Thenns to be these insane cannibalistic fuckers, because people will cheer when Stannis takes them down.

By the time he's going after the Boltons I bet people will hate Ramsey so much they'll be rooting for Stan

But yeah, I'm not feeling this Stannis. I want my Stannis, and my Davos and my Mel! Only Shireen is an improvement to her book counterpart, I think

Dillane doesn't play him villainous and at the worst, the writers are positioning him as an anti-villain. I don't even think they're doing that, but clearly all of you all do, so I won't press that point too hard.

I've said this many times, but I like show Stannis best because he is Stephen Dillane instead of a bald bearded fellow voiced by Roy Dotrice. Dillane imbues everything with nuance, whether or not its on the page (I happen to think it is, but again, you fellows don't so there's no point stepping in just to contradict you).

The behind the scenes is called Inside the Episode. I can find the one for S4E1 on YouTube, but E2 must not be up yet. If you have HBOGo (or a login to use) it's on there.

Thanks (wonder why they don't post on youtube, grr).

So, after having watched that video, I really dislike their comments.

"The beginning of this season we've come across Stannis having gone full-Melisandre." That's exactly how we came across him last year, right down to the burning of infidels (albeit off screen). Did season 3 serve no purpose, then, if he's the same bloody character he was ten episodes ago?

The insistence on his "obsession with his birthright" isn't great either. Stannis is obsessed with a lot more than just taking the throne, why single out this in every second interview?

Dillane doesn't play him villainous and at the worst, the writers are positioning him as an anti-villain. I don't even think they're doing that, but clearly all of you all do, so I won't press that point too hard.

I've said this many times, but I like show Stannis best because he is Stephen Dillane instead of a bald bearded fellow voiced by Roy Dotrice. Dillane imbues everything with nuance, whether or not its on the page (I happen to think it is, but again, you fellows don't so there's no point stepping in just to contradict you).

oh man, i hope you didnt think i was tryin to be a jackass. thats just my take on adding something new to Stannis :cheers:

Dillane is a Boss but i like Dotrice also haha

Book!Stannis: Half my army is made up of unbelievers. I will have no burnings ser. Pray harder.

aye, once stannis went north and left behind melisandre, there was a noticeable change in him which we will most likely see in the show.

Archived