[Book Spoilers] Daenerys evil moment rushed. Runners look uncomfortable with it.

So much this, the people complaining are misremembering the books. The crucifixion of the 163 masters is nothing compared to the shit that's about to happen. You've all jumped the gun on this one, her descent hasn't happened yet.

Yeah, her downfall/rough patch is when she sets up shop in Mereen and decided to rule. That's when shit hits the fan.

For one, I'm glad we didn't linger any longer on Dany killing the masters. It was well done, and they had a lot to cover in the episode. We saw her ignore Barristan and his concern. That will probably be significant.

We MAY have to wait until the end of the season to render a verdict about whether there is any "white washing."

How drawn out do you want this scene to be? It's sufficient to cover the important points and the message was clear to the audience. Barristan counselled her to one path and she choose another path, and they showed the nailing part and the moans and screams of pain already. Do you want them to drag the timeline until the bodies are decayed and the flies are disturbing the population? How long will that take? Please bear in mind that this show is not about her alone - they have to devote screentime to more gratuitous sex and boobs ya know!

How drawn out do you want this scene to be?

The whole criticism about the crucifixion being rushed is honestly incorrect. It's handled very briefly in the books, and isn't a character defining moment at all. Just one small event out of many contributing to Dany's later character development.

The crucifixion was handled fine. The slave's revolt is the thing that people should be complaining about.

I really liked it. It was effectuful enough, with Dany's line of "I will answer injustice with justice!" and then a nice panorama shot of 163 men screaming and dying while she was looking pretty content.

Like my brother said, "time to stash my Stark shirts and get some Targaryen clothing instead" :)

They made their point with those scenes, and I, as usual though, can't wait for next episode :)

Barristan's face! He said more with his expression than he could ever say with words. His face says "Yes. Ive heard this before. Ive heard it from your father's lips."

Dany does not come off looking amazing and rosy here. She looks good on the surface, but Barristan helps us understand the true meaning of this scene.

Please look harder on a rewatch. Hes very visibly not cool with her "Ill answer justice with justice" line.

Am I weird that I think Dany comes off as amazing for ordering it, rebuffing Barristan, and then surveying her new realm while calmly listening to the screams of the crucified masters in the background. Very Targaryen moment there (and clearly this is what makes Barristan uncomfortable). Personally, I think Dany is always most impressive when filled with this sort of wrath.

To me it's really not so much about the scene but about the stuff before. And it's also not really about whitewashing Dany but about "stupidwashing" Meereen and the slaves. All these years they didn't rebell for a reason, because they were afraid for their lives, so to me it's more of: please show they actually had good reason to be afraid. It doesn't have to be a big scene, but the master seeing the writing on the wall have him order to take the hand of one of his slaves off and another ear, hand whatever for each additional he finds or just something in that direction, something where indeed a slave is hurt for rebelling, anything really.

It might whitewash Dany more, because it gives even more reason for her to have a good point freeing the slaves, but it does make the fear of the slaves just a little more "real" and less "why did we never thought of this"

Lol, her standing at the top of the pyramid reminded me of Evita. More specifically, "Don't Cry for Me Argentina," which isn't long before "Rainbow Tour," the part where Evita realizes something's wrong with her and the politicians start taking potshots as she dies from cancer.

This.

It reminded me a bit of the fascist regime architecture of the 30s and 40s and over it all, the Targaeryen banner in red and black... "Fire and blood"... The stuff is there for those that want to read the images...

But can't people love the series because they can hate so many characters :D

Absolutely. I hate Gregor Clegane, but I don't make threads about him, or spend time talking about him. It just seems a little odd some of Dany's biggest detractors spend so much time in threads about her.

Archived