Star Wars: Episode VII: A New Hopedawn's Empire Strikes Jedi in the Sith

Werthead

Namely Gary Whitta, perhaps known best as the former editor of PC Gamer magazine. Credentials, baby!

TMI, yo. :lol:

oddly the most impressive thing he's done is the Walking dead game.

The point of making something canon is supposedly to *prevent* previous material being overwritten on a whim.

Based on what? I mean, reboots are all around us these days especially. This concept is fairly well known.

Everything is canon till the owner of the IP decides it's not.

I get the feeling this new trilogy will make te prequel trilogy look like the original trilogy ::

Why? Abrahms is 1000x the director PT-era Lucas was. And they've got real script writers working on the script.

The worst we can get is something on the level of the new Star Trek (ie - excellent direction and bad scripts). And that's still miles better then the PT.

Based on what? I mean, reboots are all around us these days especially. This concept is fairly well known.

Everything is canon till the owner of the IP decides it's not.

Why? Abrahms is 1000x the director PT-era Lucas was. And they've got real script writers working on the script.

The worst we can get is something on the level of the new Star Trek (ie - excellent direction and bad scripts). And that's still miles better then the PT.

Agree with Shryke here. After what the prequel trilogy did to me the idea of seeing another SW trilogy gives me the same feeling as you get if you have to go back to a restaurant to eat where you once got violently ill.

But I think you'd have to get a Snyder or a Ratner or Lucas again to get anywhere near as bad a new trilogy as the PT. Abrahms will direct/produce something that's not as good as the OT but definitely something that falls in the range between moderately to much better than the PT.

I think Abrahms has shown he has real talent. If they get him a good script and he works to his potential, we could get a movie that while probably not the same as the OT, is at least as good. The chance is there.

Agree with Shryke here. After what the prequel trilogy did to me the idea of seeing another SW trilogy gives me the same feeling as you get if you have to go back to a restaurant to eat where you once got violently ill.

But I think you'd have to get a Snyder or a Ratner or Lucas again to get anywhere near as bad a new trilogy as the PT. Abrahms will direct/produce something that's not as good as the OT but definitely something that falls in the range between moderately to much better than the PT.

JJ is "safe" and that's exactly what they need for launching the neverending era of Disney Star Wars films. It could be a long time before we get something that's excellent but I'm cool with entertaining. I still don't really rate him as a great director but he gets the job done.

It does look like you have to have a monster film on your resume to get a star wars gig at Disney. So I guess Peter Jackson, Del Toro and whoever does those megashark films are in with a chance

• 2 weeks later...

New set photos leaked today. Lots of Tatooine, a couple good shots of really big beasts. The one thing that I am taking from it that is positive is the fact that the models mean that we are not getting too much CGI.

New set photos leaked today. Lots of Tatooine, a couple good shots of really big beasts. The one thing that I am taking from it that is positive is the fact that the models mean that we are not getting too much CGI.

Yep. Not to down all the Abrams kool-aid at once, but I am really liking the practical effects approach they appear to be taking.

JJ is "safe" and that's exactly what they need for launching the neverending era of Disney Star Wars films. It could be a long time before we get something that's excellent but I'm cool with entertaining. I still don't really rate him as a great director but he gets the job done.

It does look like you have to have a monster film on your resume to get a star wars gig at Disney. So I guess Peter Jackson, Del Toro and whoever does those megashark films are in with a chance

I totally agree, Disney playing it safe is the correct way to go, the only problem is a "safe" SW movie won't get the bad taste of the prequels out of my mouth it would take a truly magnificent SW movie to do that, and until that happens I can't get excited for new SW. I'm not sure I'm going to see these movies in the theater, that's the first time I've ever said that about a SW movie. I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way, not that it matters, because these movies will rake in the $$$ no matter what.

EW is breaking that Gwendoline Christie has been cast in an unknown role.

That alone isn't enough to sway me, although I'm already cautiously optimistic, but its cool to hear. And if its actually a big part, it may be enough.

Between this and showing up in the next Hunger Games, she's really breaking out in a big way.

EW is breaking that Gwendoline Christie has been cast in an unknown role.

That alone isn't enough to sway me, although I'm already cautiously optimistic, but its cool to hear. And if its actually a big part, it may be enough.

Between this and showing up in the next Hunger Games, she's really breaking out in a big way.

Saw that news from Westeros in my Facebook feed. It is interesting and she certainly does seem to be starting to break out a bit. Good for her.

I wonder if her lightsaber will shimmer... like Valaryian steel.... :)

Then again, a lightsaber would feel puny in her hands after swinging around Oathkeeper. Glad to see her getting so many roles now.

Lupita Nyong'o is also a new addition to the cast, per millions of websites reporting it and stuff.

Also Gwendoline Christie, a.k.a. Brienne of Tarth.

I must say, they're knocking it out of the fucking park with this cast.

You mean other than the reanimated corpses of Harrison Ford, Mark Hammill, and Carrie Fischer?

Haven't you heard? Zombies are all the rage these days!

You mean other than the reanimated corpses of Harrison Ford, Mark Hammill, and Carrie Fischer?

Eh, it all depends on how they're handled. If the material is good, and the actors deliver...then what's wrong? Just because they're old? What kind of metric is that? I certainly don't want them to be center-stage for the series (and I especially don't want the series to be "the continued adventures of the Skywalker family at the center of every important thing in the universe"), but I can't see how a Star Wars fan wouldn't be at least a LITTLE BIT psyched at the possbility of Luke, Han, and Leia returning to the screen in a grand fashion.

Again, this all rests on the assumption that, you know, the movie is actually good.

Archived