Star Wars: Episode VII: A New Hopedawn's Empire Strikes Jedi in the Sith

Werthead

So they are not considering the EU novels as canon. What about the games produced by Lucas Arts? I would still like to see Kyle Katarn.

My understanding is that only stuff on the silver screen is truly canon. They have dubbed the new Luke Skywalker centric book as new canon, but I don't see how anyone can take that seriously at some point.

As to Kyle Katarn; I wouldn't be surprised to see some familiar EU names crop up here and there, maybe he will make it in some form. :dunno:

The 6 films (the latest editions, my guess) and the clone war animated series.

And one or two newly released novels. At least for a few years until a new writing team can't be fucked using wikipedia to get broad plot details , and contradicts them for no particular reason.

So they are not considering the EU novels as canon. What about the games produced by Lucas Arts? I would still like to see Kyle Katarn.

Same policy for everything EU: it will only be used for reference/insipiration purposes...thank the Force, the old gods and the new, Rh'llor and even the Great Other.

According to the HuffPost there is a working title "The Ancient Fear" and Sydow will play a villain.

Well, it's certainly much better than "The Order of the Jedi" or some such nonsense...whether it's just a rumor or the true title. Still, I think this is just rumor, though.

As for von Sydow playing a villain, I really hope not. Let's keep in mind that, for a long time, Vader was the villain in SW. And what worked so well with him was the mask and body armor; made him quite intimidating and mysterious. After Palpatine and Dooku, do we really need yet another old, bitter Sith master?

If Asajj Ventress is in then it will be in her 60s, sinse Leia is way too old to pass as a woman in early 30s, means that we may see Jacen(?), Jaina, Allana, Tenel Ka, Ben and Jag. That makes me thing that maybe the villain will be Gavar Khai or the the Moffs, Natasi Daala ftw,or my personal fav Yuuzhan Vong.

If Asajj Ventress is in then it will be in her 60s, sinse Leia is way too old to pass as a woman in early 30s, means that we may see Jacen(?), Jaina, Allana, Tenel Ka, Ben and Jag. That makes me thing that maybe the villain will be Gavar Khai or the the Moffs, Natasi Daala ftw,or my personal fav Yuuzhan Vong.

No way any of that happens. There may be a Solo kid with the name Jacen... but it won't be anything like the books. And you can bet your sweet bippy that Disney isn't going anywhere near the Vong.

I can't wait for all of the Easter eggs that'll get dropped into all kinds of movies and shows now because the directors are going to get cute with the now non canon material... The howls will be so entertaining...

Anyone think they'd want a greyed Ewan McGregor back as Obiwan's ghost? He was really the best thing about the prequels for me, not that there's much to choose from, but I wouldn't mind seeing him in the role once again. Though maybe the more distance kept between prequels, OT, and NT the better :dunno:

It's the films and the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series, with a big question mark hanging over The Old Republic (and by extension KotOR). Everything else is now non-canon, even the other TV series like Ewoks and Droids (although I don't see how they'd contradict or be contradicted anyway).

They say the new books will be canon, but I think we can safely dismiss that as the demented ravings of a desperate marketing department. If you go and spend money on anything related to SW from hereon out and expect it to count, then I have bridge you might be interested in buying. If you don't care (as with the Star Trek novels), then fair enough.

They say the new books will be canon, but I think we can safely dismiss that as the demented ravings of a desperate marketing department. If you go and spend money on anything related to SW from hereon out and expect it to count, then I have bridge you might be interested in buying. If you don't care (as with the Star Trek novels), then fair enough.

Agreed.

I own several EU books and I enjoyed most of them. But then, I think they went too far with those stories, so I stopped buying the books. That said, I never took any of the novels as canon, so I suppose people will keep buying the new books, whether they're canon or not.

As for the actual films, ever since I heard that there would be a new trilogy, I was certain that it wouldn't be based on the EU. SW isn't TLotR or ASoIaF. So adapting the EU novels for these new films would've been a huge mistake, IMO.

One of the problems I have this new trilogy idea is that the original plan was to have Episodes IV-VI being about the defeat of Vader. The original plan was that the Emperor and the Empire would not be defeated until VII-IX. Lucas then changed his mind about that during the making of Ep VI and decided to wrap it all up then. He seems to have had some sort of musings on what could go into a sequel trilogy, at least until he informally abandoned the idea around 1990-91 or so, but it's clear it's not part of the same narrative arc as Eps I-VI. For all the criticism of the prequels, they are at least part of the same story as IV-VI.

On that basis, they could have simply done a Next Generation and moved the next story centuries down the line (a bit like the Legacy comics did) and not run into any of these problems. If Hamill/Ford etc were all a bit younger and able to more actively play a role in the films, then I could see the appeal of having more adventures with the classic crew, but if they are going to be in more of a background, mentor role then the worth of having them in the film is doubtful, especially given that that they run the risk of Crystal Skulling the franchise.

I'd like to know if the new Star Wars Rebels series is going to count as canon too.

Yes because they are trying to sell it and even use it's connection to the new films to create a circle jerk of promotion.

Yes, everything from now will be canon. Until it isnt.

Pretty much. Given the craze for rebooting superhero films every decade we shouldn't even hold the films as sacred. But I guess that's true of any form of entertainment.

but if they are going to be in more of a background, mentor role then the worth of having them in the film is doubtful, especially given that that they run the risk of Crystal Skulling the franchise.

If it turns out that Jimmy Smits managed to survive the destruction of Alderaan by hiding in a refrigerator, we'll know that things have gone too far!

Archived