Star Wars: Episode VII: A New Hopedawn's Empire Strikes Jedi in the Sith

Werthead

If it turns out that Jimmy Smits managed to survive the destruction of Alderaan by hiding in a refrigerator, we'll know that things have gone too far!

He's been spinning in space for 40+ years...

Early on, he almost got picked up by a merchant freighter, but some punk spinning in a modified tie fighter knocked him off course.

No way any of that happens. There may be a Solo kid with the name Jacen... but it won't be anything like the books. And you can bet your sweet bippy that Disney isn't going anywhere near the Vong.

Which is a shame because I would love to see Jacen and Vongs. Mostly because I think that the Jacen-Vongs storyline could last for 3 movies.

If the enemy is not a Sith and as far as we know Asajj was a Sith acolyte, so she will not be the main enemy, the Moffs would be a good opportunity to see a non Sith enemy if the Vongs are out of the question. I don't know if this makes sense.

Which is a shame because I would love to see Jacen and Vongs. Mostly because I think that the Jacen-Vongs storyline could last for 3 movies.

SW isn't ASoIaF, TLotR, Potter, Hunger Games, etc. It's the films that influence the novels here, not the other way around.

Besides, I seriously doubt that Lawrence Kasdan would want to resort to the EU, when he's just become the only person in the world not named George Lucas, who has a blank canvas to work with.

• 2 weeks later...

Via this BTS video where JJ Abrams announces the launch of a charity (Force for Change) to raise funds for UNICEF, we seem to have confirmation that the movie really will have practical effects.

So that's cool at least.

"monster/Godzilla" director Gareth Edwards is doing the "spin-off" film. No details what it's about but the screenplay is by the guy who worked on "book of Eli".

Given the range of Edwards' films I'm wondering if we'll get a prequel where a Sarlacc comes from above ground wreaking havoc on Tatooine? Maybe they trap it underground at the end? I'm joking, mostly,

"monster/Godzilla" director Gareth Edwards is doing the "spin-off" film. No details what it's about but the screenplay is by the guy who worked on "book of Eli".

Given the range of Edwards' films I'm wondering if we'll get a prequel where a Sarlacc comes from above ground wreaking havoc on Tatooine? Maybe they trap it underground at the end? I'm joking, mostly,

Shhh. Don't give him any ideas.

It's the films and the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series, with a big question mark hanging over The Old Republic (and by extension KotOR). Everything else is now non-canon, even the other TV series like Ewoks and Droids (although I don't see how they'd contradict or be contradicted anyway).

They say the new books will be canon, but I think we can safely dismiss that as the demented ravings of a desperate marketing department. If you go and spend money on anything related to SW from hereon out and expect it to count, then I have bridge you might be interested in buying. If you don't care (as with the Star Trek novels), then fair enough.

Why?

You should consider it to be as solid as the claim of anything being canon. ie - It's canon until someone decides to take the property in a new direction

Which is what canon has always meant.

The point of making something canon is supposedly to *prevent* previous material being overwritten on a whim.

I get the feeling this new trilogy will make te prequel trilogy look like the original trilogy ::

I get the feeling this new trilogy will make te prequel trilogy look like the original trilogy ::

I expect it will be like everything else JJ Abrams touches. Slick, competently-made, and a plot that makes no sense if you start thinking about it. Also it will have lens flares.

In other words, vastly better than the prequels. It just probably won't feel much like the originals.

I expect it will be like everything else JJ Abrams touches. Slick, competently-made, and a plot that makes no sense if you start thinking about it. Also it will have lens flares.

In other words, vastly better than the prequels. It just probably won't feel much like the originals.

Actually, given JJ's love for the original, I expect an almost too faithfully "love letter" to the originals. Kind of like Super 8. Or maybe Superman Returns is a better comparison.

And that's ok, for the main story Episodes. It'll be fun to see what the style of the spin-offs is like.

No details what it's about but the screenplay is by the guy who worked on "book of Eli".

Namely Gary Whitta, perhaps known best as the former editor of PC Gamer magazine. Credentials, baby!

....ok that made me gut laugh...but no worries i got the kevlar hernia mesh... :smoking:

TMI, yo. :lol:

Archived