Edge of Tomorrow [Spoilers]

Veltigar

I thought it was a great and amazing movie! It might just be me, but did anyone else feel that it was sad in a way?

Absolutely. With Groundhog day there is a sense of frustration in that he doesn't know how to end it, but he becomes friends with everyone, learns about them, and at the end has this huge circle of people who are important to him and he will be important to. In this:

there is the sense that the only people he connected to who might continue on afterwards are Emily Blunt and her scientist friend. And even then, she is so damaged by her stint through the ringer, there is no guarantee that will go anywhere. At least with Bill Murray the girl knew something about him and came from a similar background/employment.

In many ways I don't know if things would have worked out post ending as well for Cruise's character as it presumably did for Bill's.

Thoroughly entertaining and probably the best movie I've seen in theaters this year. Loved the mix of humor and action. I was caught off guard with Cruise's initial cowardice and thought we were headed for the standard boy turns into man type of storyline. It worked quite well.

Emily Blunt was pretty and the best part of the movie.

My only problem with the movie was the ending and the way everything was wrapped up with a nice pink bow. The time travel aspect of it didn't fit either

How does he go back even further in time but with the alien defeat still occurring?

That seemed way too much like a Hollywood exec needed a happily ever after family movie to pitch for the summer audience (as opposed to a movie like Looper which I felt ended in a 'complete' manner).

See my proposed reasoning in my page one post. It's speculative, but given the information given is probably as good a reason for how things played out as we will have.

I thought it was a great and amazing movie! It might just be me, but did anyone else feel that it was sad in a way?

Sad or maybe bittersweet throughout the movie? There's definitely that kind of feeling permeating throughout most of the movie.

See my proposed reasoning in my page one post. It's speculative, but given the information given is probably as good a reason for how things played out as we will have.

Yeah I read your explanation yesterday and found it to be pretty reasonable given the time travel logic of the movie.

However, I don't think that this is a natural conclusion that the writers intended for the audience to have. The last scene just felt tacked on without any attempt at an explanation just to provide a happy ending. Really came out of left field for me and took me out of the movie -- right at a point when I cared most for all of the characters.

When Tom Cruise dies in the water, before the Omega's blood overtakes him, I had a brief thought that they were going to cut to the general giving a victory speech with Cage, Rita and J-Squad being unremembered heroes or even dead criminals. I think that would have been ballsier and more in-line with Rita's soldier mentality.

The only thing I liked about it was that Cage was basically an Army Major fit for his rank at the end. I didn't feel like I was hit over the head with it. Normally that stuff would be too cheesy and overdone, but I thought they got that right with this movie.

Also, completely agree about the farmhouse scene being gripping. It was my favorite scene in the movie.

EDIT: Looks like of Edge of Tomorrow didn't do so great. The marketing for this movie sucked. The trailers should have been better too.

EDIT: Looks like of Edge of Tomorrow didn't do so great. The marketing for this movie sucked. The trailers should have been better too.

Apparently it did very well in some (but not all) overseas markets, it almost made as much in China as it did in the US. That might back up the suggestion that it was something wrong with the marketing.

It's probably not too significant, but I think the title was a bit bland and doesn't really say much about the film and it seemed to be easy to forget, the friend I went to see it with referred to it as The Day After Tomorrow, while the ticket seller at the cinema confessed she'd been calling it The Edge of Tomato all day. I think the title of the book it is based on ("All You Need Is Kill") is more memorable, but if they had to change the title they could have chosen something a bit more memorable. I think the tagline Live, Die, Repeat could have been a better title.

I don't know if other people did what I did and didn't see the movie because of the whole Scientology problem but I can also think of another reason for it. I'm just burned out on action films right now. I don't find them interesting or fun to watch anymore. That might be unfair to the new movies but seriously think back when was the last time you an action film and said "oh that was interesting" now if this film is that film I'm sorry but I'll watch it on cable eventually.

There was far more than just action to this movie though. Dark comedy, humor, a real connection between the main leads. Emily Blunt's character was simply a bad ass, she was Cruise's superior in every way save rank. And usually in movies like this there is a feeling of squad mates being tacked on and useless, meat fodder for the death machine, but I sort of liked the rag tag bunch of losers. They fit exactly as they were meant to fit within the movie.

EoT had all the right beats. It didn't treat the audience like idiots, and it moved at a really nice clip. And the farm scene was fucking crazy good. So was the end run as well. Overall, it was actually my favorite movie of the year.

Chris Stuckmann has just released a video "5 Reasons to see Edge of Tomorrow" and he's really right in every way (especially 3 and 4). I would advice you all to watch the video and share it with as many people as possible. We need to get people to go and see it :D

Your enthusiasm for this movie is excellent. It deserves it. Curious how word of mouth will affect next weekend's box office, especially with the WC on.

Your enthusiasm for this movie is excellent. It deserves it. Curious how word of mouth will affect next weekend's box office, especially with the WC on.

Would that really affect the box office in America? Overseas it seems to be doing reasonably well, but I agree it will probably take a hit because of the WC (although, all the non-football fans like me should definitely find a refuge in this movie).

And I agree the movie really deserves it. I wouldn't be so eager to promote it otherwise :D It's highly entertaining, smart, original, has a great female character, has Tom Cruise finally being awesome again... Why the people pass this over I'll never get :(

Would that really affect the box office in America? Overseas it seems to be doing reasonably well, but I agree it will probably take a hit because of the WC (although, all the non-football fans like me should definitely find a refuge in this movie).

Not sure to be honest. I've been in Germany and England for the last two world cups so I"m not entirely sure what the reaction is like here in the US. That being said, football is a lot more popular now than it was and I can see people spending their time over the weekends at a bar watching the WC instead of seeing a movie, especially if there is an outdoor section and the weather is nice. So I could see it having an impact but how big is tough to say. A once every 4 year tournament across the world is a big deal, regardless of the popularity of the individual leagues in respective countries.

Not sure to be honest. I've been in Germany and England for the last two world cups so I"m not entirely sure what the reaction is like here in the US. That being said, football is a lot more popular now than it was and I can see people spending their time over the weekends at a bar watching the WC instead of seeing a movie, especially if there is an outdoor section and the weather is nice. So I could see it having an impact but how big is tough to say. A once every 4 year tournament across the world is a big deal, regardless of the popularity of the individual leagues in respective countries.

I can see the box office take a hit where I life, since for the first time since 2002 we have a team at the WC, and it seems to be pretty good. But I have to say that I'm surprised that Americans would really care for the WC. I always thought that football wasn't very popular there, even if it's a WC ;)

I can see the box office take a hit where I life, since for the first time since 2002 we have a team at the WC, and it seems to be pretty good. But I have to say that I'm surprised that Americans would really care for the WC. I always thought that football wasn't very popular there, even if it's a WC ;)

Well, it's a catch 22. We don't have a good football league so only the big fans pay attention to the MLS though it is growing in popularity and skill. But football is the most played sports of youths and with the MLS and every EPL game now being shown on NBCSN, it's likely to grow in even more popularity. Plus, when has America ever not be "America, fuck yea!"

I want to see this movie. Getting someone to go with me is the problem. :unsure:

Ever notice that movies where Tom Cruise gets his ass kicked are generally more liked? Hmmm....

I saw it by myself though I tend to do that a lot with movies I want to see. Early weekend movies are key for me since I can watch them in the morning, crowds are minimal and then I still have the whole day to do what i want to do.

The ending was woeful and weak, but it's still more than worth it to see this film. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Cruise but I adore Emily Blunt and they both made it work in this film. It dragged just a bit at the end for me but this article covers all the frustrations I had from the film. Don't click on that if you haven't seen the movie!

I thought the movie was great. But I'm also heavily biased because it was as close to being Dark Souls on film that we are ever to get. Sure the details are different but the concept is the same and I loved it both times.

The first half or maybe two thirds was decent. It seems Hollywood has a formulaic approach to sci-fi at the moment where they establish a weird and intriguing setup, but they only know one way out of it, which is a huge battle against some monster or forgettable villain which is barely connected at all to the initial premise and mystery. We saw this in Oblivion, Godzilla, Pacific Rim and Elysium too. Engaging on the way in, extremely dull on the way out, wrapped up neatly in the end. It's like sci-fi has become the go-to feel-good genre, which is a shame given the genre's literary roots and capacity for actual gravitas.

For those who felt the movie was sad; I think that's probably your projection. Why, oh why couldn't the movie have actually put something on-screen to support that feeling? It would have been so easy to insinuate that someone paid the price for all the time travel shenanigans and the constant warfare. It was all wrapped up with a pink ribbon on top, like all the other sci-fi actioners of recent years. I demand more dammit.

The ending was woeful and weak, but it's still more than worth it to see this film. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Cruise but I adore Emily Blunt and they both made it work in this film. It dragged just a bit at the end for me but this article covers all the frustrations I had from the film. Don't click on that if you haven't seen the movie!

Watched it this afternoon and I absolutely agree with you about the ending. The first and second acts were solid but the third act was a bit tedious.

Tom Cruise and Blunt were excellent. I liked the design of the aliens, although they did remind me a bit of the sentinels from The Matrix, I feel like they should have had some text in the beginning saying "meanwhile, in another part of the matrix".

But overall, I liked it. I'll give it a 6.5.

Archived