I'm so confused about why the fanatics are worried that Stannis will have lost his moment. If anything, the show went out of it's way to set up Stannis being some hero. They set up Jon looking as the hero of battle numero uno who talks to other heros of the battle about how they are totally fucked because Mance still so greatly outnumbers them, then our hero Jon goes off into the sunset to meet with Mance without wolf or weapon totally thinking he's going to die and he'll be surrounded by giants and mammoths and 100k wildlings and it will look impressively sinister for Jon until suddenly, this dude comes out of the trees and saves the fucking day. That's a better set up for Stannis in the books because this time, Jon volunteered rather than where he was forced to do it in the books. He's walking out there like a boss and if the negotiation doesn't go well, he's dead. Of course, Jon may likely be negotiating with Mance, like he was in the books, when Stannis shows up, but still...come on. How much more of a "stannis saves the day" set up do you fanatics need? Get a grip.

Agreed. I liked the Jon volunteering bit as well. And also this is Jon's moment to shine but as another poster said earlier they could have build this over a few episodes prior. (We really didn't need Missandei/Greyworm luv scenes and such pointless fillers.) And in this episode they could have ended the whole Wall story with Stannis riding in at the end. Too many things happening next week. It will be another episode where they hop from scene to scene and ultimately Stannis most rewarding scene in books will not have the impact it had in the books.

That's pretty much the exact same thing that happens in the book.

Theres a battle raging when Stannis arrives and its made pretty clear he just saved Castle Black from being overwhelmed in the books. In the show based on this episode and the preview for the next episode it looks like there won't be any fighting going on when Stannis arrives, just Jon and Mance about to team up and head out and all of a sudden Stannis arrives and genocides a bunch of now "good" wildlings.

This episode and the preview for the next one locks in what I've said about TV Stannis since the beginning. He is one of the shows villians, he's not going to save the wall. Jon Snow will be negotiating with Mance about bringing the Wildlings across because the Others are coming and then boom Stannis heavy cavalry comes in and massacres a bunch of Wildlings. It's sad the show watchers are doing this with a character like Stannis but I am very confident in my analysis at this point.

Are you serious? The bloody preview has Mance blatantly saying he will massacre every Crow in Castle Black.

Edited by Eddard the Builder

Brienne is seriously running out of time and potential victims for Ear-Biting. I am concerned. Next week is gonna be crowded.

They are going to need the full 65 min. , hell they will actually need 70 to 90 min!

That's exactly what happens in the books?

Theres a battle raging when Stannis arrives and its made pretty clear he just saved Castle Black from being overwhelmed in the books. In the show based on this episode and the preview for the next episode it looks like there won't be any fighting going on when Stannis arrives, just Jon and Mance about to team up and head out and all of a sudden Stannis arrives and genocides a bunch of now "good" wildlings.

Blah...can't go on about this episode any longer. Ill just hope for the best next week but D&D blew it with the storyline at the Wall over the course of the season. They had too much filler scenes that few viewers actually cared about and all that filler material? Leave it for the first and second seasons. SoS has so much crucial material that filler scenes should not be necessary.

All the stuff from the first half of this episode could have been spread throughout the last two episodes. This episode should have started with the battle and ended with the parlay and Stannis's knights arriving. It was totally feasible and could have been done wonderfully but they didn't.

Lost a bit of faith tonight...sadly.

You mean in like the number of GOT viewers is now more than for the Sopranos?

More viewers does not mean more quality. The sopranos was a once in a lifetime treat. This might have more viewers, but it is not better.

to people saying that the episode sucks,

reeeaaalllly? i mean, come on. just because it didnt end how you pictured it doesnt make the whole thing terrible. i also wish that stannis would have shown up tonight, but i'm not devistated like so many of you are. d&d, who everyone just loves to hate on, probably have their reasons for putting it in ep 10. i could be wrong, but i dont think any of you have seen ep 10 yet, so how could you possibly know that this is as bad a decision as everyone thinks? it will probably open the episode. we will get a solid, long scene of jon with mance, then the battle. it's getting really irritating that i have to say this after what seems like every episode, but here we go.

WAIT FOR EVERYTHING TO PLAY OUT BEFORE YOU JUDGE THE ENTIRE SHOW.

Oh god, I was terrified when I saw your previous post. I thought it was your way of chastising me indirectly.

Oh man, I didn't mean to make you feel left out.

E-RO, CALM DOWN BRAH. STANNIS IS GONNA SAVE JON, THE BOSS OF THE WATCH, AND OF COURSE THE REST OF THE WATCH, FROM DOOM AND GLOOM. HE'S ALSO GOING TO SINGLE-HANDEDLY TURN MANCE FROM HAVING THE UPPER HAND AND NEGOTIATING A PACT TO LEAD HIS OWN MEN SOUTH TO BEING FORCED TO BEND THE KNEE BECAUSE STANNIS JUST SAVED THE M-F'ING DAY.

Damn, I'm a douchebag for typing in caps. Now I feel bad for chastising.

ahh yes wow then by the time we are in the 6th season I'm not going to wish to watch anymore it will of been caught up with the books.

Oh really? I don't mind spoilers, I had scene the series before I read the books. Doesn't bother me much. Honestly, I appreciate GRRM but he writes to slow and I really want to know what happens. :p

Have to conclude that this episode was quite underwhelming. Now don't get me wrong the battle itself was pretty damn good and I was enjoying it loads but to finish it with Jon just walking out like that and no Stannis was disappointing.

The main part of the Battle at the Wall, I had been looking forward to was Stannis arrival and how D & D portrayed it on screen, Now I just feel like, even though we know it's going to happen next week, it won't quite have the same impact due to Tyrion killing Tywin, Bran meeting Bloodraven and hopefully, although I'm not holding my breath at this point, the arrival of Lady Stoneheart. I think they could have done so much more to this episode considering the money they spent on it.

However on the flip side, I suppose when we think of it now, the Finale is going to be jam packed with a tonne of major WTF moments, here's hoping they have captured it right.

Stannis didn't arrive during this fight, lol... ugh people commmmon.,

There's no battle when he arrives..who would they have been fighting..Jon goes alone in the books. He is treating with Mance and he hears a horn then Stannis crashes through.

I think the problems with the pacing of this episode and how it was left on a cliffhanger are partially due to the Craster detour. They could have done a bit more to set up with the time they had. But then, I'm sure the hordes of unsullied would have been complaining even more that nothing was happening.

Perhaps they should have had Ygritte's band attack midseason instead of the Craster detour. Give Bran a couple more visions and maybe he finds Ghost and sends him home.

Ok, so you're saying that Stannis' only contribution to awesome is when he gobbles up screentime? Alrighty, then. I guess I see your point in that they've not made Stannis a suitable enough character to be able to own it in five minutes.

no dude, Im saying that if you wanted him "to save the day" today was "the day".

Next week "day" is a different "day". With an other morning, mid day, afternoon and evening that have nothing to do with it.