Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Ramsay Gimp

Just saw it last night, and it very much lived up to the hype. The plot was somewhat predictable (and IMO seemed a little too similar to "the Lion King" at some parts) but the acting, effects, and cinematography were all great.

The apes were much more interesting than the humans, and for all of Andy Serkis's well-earned praise for his perfrormance as Caesar, I thought Koba was just as memorable. I wanted more info on their emerging civilization. Hopefully the the next installment jumps ahead some time to when the apes have completely won, rather than just give us bigger battles between apes and humans.

Really? We have a sci-fi blockbuster with political overtones receiving strong hype and critical acclaim and no one wants to talk about it? :dunno:

Can we see it first and then talk about it?

I haven't see it yet due to travel - work.

However, I saw this, which seems of interest to those who work in the field of ape conservation and protection: http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/07/14/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-defames-bonobos/

Sorry, but I couldn't finish reading that rant. Just pretend Koba is a chimp if it makes you feel better. The word "bonobo" is never uttered in the film, and I had no idea he was supposed to be one until reading that, so the idea that the film is out to "defame" a species is ridiculous

Koba surrounded by flames, riding a horse into battle with two machine guns, was the most exhilarating part of the film. I know it sounds silly, but watch for yourself.

But species aside, the more I think about Koba the more I actually think they made him too "villainous" towards the end. In the first scene

he saves Caesar and Caesar's son from a grizzly, a complete selfless act

, but in the final showdown

he indiscriminately shoots at other apes around Caesar and lifts a block off a fallen ape warrior only to drop it back on top of him after taking the poor guy's gun

How about no females to speak or speak of?

http://www.vulture.com/2014/07/summer-blockbusters-female-problem-planet-apes.html

Calling what people notice that's included or not included in an entertainment a rant isn't an effective method to keep people from noticing -- and discussing it.

You did mention you wanted to talk about the movie. :cheers:

As for Koba as bonobo, presumably the scriptwriters would know, right?

http://planetoftheapes.wikia.com/wiki/Koba

That's a fairer criticism I guess.

But remember, except for bonobos, apes have a patriarchal or male-dominated social structure. Even if they gained intelligence/language, I imagine their society would continue along those lines for quite some time. They're still in a primitive stage - it's not like they had elections either. I would have expected Caesar's wife to have a larger role though

Calling what people notice that's included or not included in an entertainment a rant isn't an effective method to keep people from noticing -- and discussing it.

You did mention you wanted to talk about the movie. :cheers:

As for Koba as bonobo, presumably the scriptwriters would know, right?

http://planetoftheapes.wikia.com/wiki/Koba

Obviously you can talk about/post whatever you want about the film, I just didn't find that article convincing and thought it missed the point. Koba's hatred and brutality were inherited from humans, not due to his species, and the film makes this clear. Have you seen the movie? If so, did you really come away with the idea that it's anti-bonobo or anti-ape? Whitewashing every single ape character would have been boring and far less interesting, especially in a story about their defeat of humanity.

I think the character developed considerably between those scenes. Initially, Koba is Caesar's loyal friend, yet can't hide or shake his hatred of humans. By the end, his fanaticism has already led him to kill two humans, only to soon after attempt assassination of Caesar and organize a coup to lead the apes to war. The remarkable thing is that it's a fairly believable and well-handled transition. I have to credit the filmmakers for their historical allusions to the Reichstag fire, and the scene where it's revealed Koba has imprisoned Caesar's loyalists.

I just saw this last night. I thought it was kinda incredible, from the initial introduction of the ape civilization to the well-handled characters. Even Gary Oldman didn't have to play a one-dimensional villain (I'd say he didn't play a villain at all). Although the principal antagonist does become kinda "evil", it's well motivated and developed. The ending, too, doesn't allow for an easy resolution.

I will say that Michael Giacchino's score was just "okay", though I say that about most of his work. He does some Ligeti borrowing and occasionally seems to reference the original Jerry Goldsmith score, but it doesn't really hang together.

Archived