Football LXXX: Transfers, preseason & ongoing seasons

Mexal

*shrugs* Just seems strange to me to be claiming a player you sign at age 16 as 'homegrown'. At any rate, I'd describe Fabregas as being ultimately a product of both clubs, not either alone.

Cesc bleeds Chelsea blue now! :D

I'm expecting an outpouring of confused emotions from Gooners the first time Cesc scores and then hugs John Terry in celebration

Hopefully at the Emirates

Fuck off.

Edit: Though having a right back with a no. 3 and a left back with no. 2 makes me irrationally happy.

Apparently, arsenal's fan share scheme might be coming to an end. There are a list of reasons going out on twitter today, with a letter being posted to members of the scheme.

Also, Newcastle have signed Janmaat

He's got another season or two in him at that level, good piece of business for QPR. Heard he took a 50% pay cut too.

The experience he's going to bring to that dressing room will be invaluable, I wish he was still at Utd to be honest.

Competing? He's the starting RB. There is no competition with Jenks.

I was kidding. Well, kinda...

I'm looking forward to seeing Debuchy. On paper, he seems a more than adequate replacement for Sagna. Might even be a slight upgrade.

But Jenkinson is a great little player. Committed, hard-working, he'd run through walls for the Arsenal. For my money, he's the finest crosser of the ball we have at the club. He's still a bit rough, but if he's improved at all since last season there's no reason not to assume that some of those rough edges will be a little smoother.

As far as Debuchy is concerned, anything can happen. He may well become an instant hit, a permanent fixture in our championship winning side, or he'll get crockled, spend half the season on the sidelines.

I hear West Ham are having a little sniff around Jenkinson, as are Newcastle. If I was Wenger, I'd be doing everything I could to keep him. I'm sure Jenks is disappointed he didn't get the promotion when Sagna left. But who knows what Wenger said to him? He might have told him that first-choice right back is up for grabs.

I like Jenkinson well enough but he needs first team football. Send him on loan to Stoke or West Ham and let him learn better defensive positioning. He's a defensive liability though he is the fittest player on Arsenal by far. Dude can run all day.

We need someone defensively strong at RB though, considering the slow Mertesacker (I think) plays on the right side of the defence. We need who is fast and has a willingness to track back and cover any breaks/counterattacks.

He's got another season or two in him at that level, good piece of business for QPR. Heard he took a 50% pay cut too.

I don't think he has another season or two of premiership level football.

He could definitely be of use to QPR with his experience and I expect he'll help them out more in training than in matches.

Seeing him start every game would definitely come as a surprise to me.

And accepting the pay cut would be much more impressive if he could get anywhere near what he was getting at United.

He's been a liability for seasons now and I'm glad he's fucked off. Much more annoyed about losing Vidic.

Vidic leaving was the right thing to do for all parties involved.

He was one of the world's top defenders for years while at United, but he never got back to 100% after that knee injury against Basel.

Also, he had some back problems and missed quite a few matches over that.

Don't get me wrong, he's definitely much better than Evans/Smalling/Jones when he's fit. It's just that he hasn't been fully fit in a while.

Vidic moved to another league, where the style of play is different enough that his body won't take a beating it did in the Premiership.

And let's not forget he moved to a more beautiful city :)

Still, it's always sad to see a club legend leave.

Archived