Dating #14- we can't all be Freddie Mercury

Kelli Fury

I had a relationship end in part because of my chronic illness - tentatively diagnosed lupus that manifests as thyroid and joint issues, among other things. I was feeling particularly poorly (wasn't even able to navigate stairs without significant help) and that was what finally ended it because he didn't want to nurse me for x-number of years. Of course it wasn't just that, but it was a primary reason. I've since not had any really bad joint problems and my thyroid is getting under control, although of course I still have my good and bad days.

Months after we broke up, he let me know he regretted pulling the trigger and we almost got back together, but I realized that I didn't want to be with anyone that could back out like that. So if you know you aren't into it, don't do it. I won't say that I "wasted" those years, but now knowing that it was such a big issue for him, I would have ended it myself. We are friends now and he told me about a woman that was really interested in him that had diabetes, which for him was a dealbreaker. So there ya go - guess he learned what he was and wasn't willing to do.

I am now dating someone who is very nurturing and does his best to empathize with the ups and downs and the unpredictability of chronic autoimmune diseases. We still have moments where I have to explain why I feel *any number of symptoms here* and why that can change quite rapidly, but he's getting better and I really love him for it.

Yeah, I agree with smegma. Having Perthes Disease in my left hip still causes me many issues, and I need someone who's prepared for the days when I can barely get out of bed. My boyfriend is really good with it. He always walks slower with me, even if other people are walking ahead, he gives me massages, and checks to make sure I'm okay if we've been walking or something. He encouraged (and still continues to do so) me to have the operation I need, saying he'd take care of me, but I couldn't expect that of him. Or anyone, tbh.

I wouldn't look down on someone for being honest about what they can deal with. I admire the honesty, tbh. Most people I know say they understand about my problem, but they do thoughtless things, such as walk ahead or complain when I need to sit down, which then makes me feel bad for slowing them down. I'd much rather they were straight with me in the first place, and said they liked to take long walks or whatever, so maybe it's best if I didn't come along. :dunno:

Yeah, I agree with smegma. Having Perthes Disease in my left hip still causes me many issues, and I need someone who's prepared for the days when I can barely get out of bed. My boyfriend is really good with it. He always walks slower with me, even if other people are walking ahead, he gives me massages, and checks to make sure I'm okay if we've been walking or something. He encouraged (and still continues to do so) me to have the operation I need, saying he'd take care of me, but I couldn't expect that of him. Or anyone, tbh.

I wouldn't look down on someone for being honest about what they can deal with. I admire the honesty, tbh. Most people I know say they understand about my problem, but they do thoughtless things, such as walk ahead or complain when I need to sit down, which then makes me feel bad for slowing them down. I'd much rather they were straight with me in the first place, and said they liked to take long walks or whatever, so maybe it's best if I didn't come along. :dunno:

I dated a guy for 3.5 years (it seems to be the magic amount of time for me) with AVN (possible complication from his bone disease OI - the same disease as Mr. Glass from Unbreakable). I had know the guy since we were children, so there were no surprises about his health and I went in thinking I was fully prepared, but even then I wasn't able to meet his expectations of a care-taker. He had a bone graft in his hip from his fibula to try to encourage regeneration of the bone, but he didn't experience much benefit from it and spent about 2 of those 3.5 years on crutches and in pain. Even though I have my issues, I am still pretty active and he wasn't able to join me in a lot of my activities, and I was working a TON of hours in a high-profile, high-demand job with extensive travel and I wasn't there for him. I ended up leaving that job for him - the only job I've ever had that I really loved - and it was only a band-aid on an already gaping wound.

It was one of the reasons WE broke up, because I wasn't nurturing enough, at least for him - and even when he was healthy, he was very demanding of attention and it was one of the primary reasons that he has problems staying faithful (the other reason we broke up). Even though he cheated and there's no excuse, I always felt bad for how alone he felt during that time, and it's one of the true regrets I have in my behavior during a relationship. We should have broken up anyways, but I wish I had understood what he needed better. Now that we are friends again (yes I'm friends with nearly all my ex's) we've put all that in the past, but we were both really hurt in very different ways.

Funny thing, but if we had been dating now or if something happens to my current bf, I think I'm much, much better prepared to take care of them because of the lessons I learned at that time. So while I may not have been as equipped then, people do change in certain respects, and I think for me this is a significant area of growth.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your health issues. I know firsthand how debilitating and demoralizing it can be to be in constant pain or lame, but it's great that you have an understanding and supportive boyfriend - makes all the difference in the world!

Back on OKcupid. Already recognise lots of the people from my area who likely shop in the store I work in. Awkward. Was messaged by someone who obviously copy and pasted his greeting to everyone and if that didn't put me off the 'thinking about the perfect girl and relationship it pains me to see others have' certainly did. No thanks. Putting girls on pedestals is never attractive, also, 5 paragraphs on how 'nice' you are probably do nothing for most people. God, i feel like a mean person on these sites

edit: *sees hilarious shrek related username, clicks on profile, sees women referred to as 'hags' in the first paragraph, swiftly clicks off of profile* depressing.

Back on OKcupid. Already recognise lots of the people from my area who likely shop in the store I work in. Awkward. Was messaged by someone who obviously copy and pasted his greeting to everyone and if that didn't put me off the 'thinking about the perfect girl and relationship it pains me to see others have' certainly did. No thanks. Putting girls on pedestals is never attractive, also, 5 paragraphs on how 'nice' you are probably do nothing for most people. God, i feel like a mean person on these sites

edit: *sees hilarious shrek related username, clicks on profile, sees women referred to as 'hags' in the first paragraph, swiftly clicks off of profile* depressing.

Shrek is love. Shrek is life.

Funny thing, but if we had been dating now or if something happens to my current bf, I think I'm much, much better prepared to take care of them because of the lessons I learned at that time. So while I may not have been as equipped then, people do change in certain respects, and I think for me this is a significant area of growth.

Yeah, we learn from the mistakes we make and the ways we hurt the people we care about >_< I don't think Brook and I would work together if we hadn't each had the past relationships we've had to learn about ourselves, how we react to things and when it's a good idea to not follow that impulse response.

I'm not trying to claim the success rate is any higher (hell, I wasn't far enough along to even have useful photos at the time), but the queer half of OKC was at least much less douchey in my experience :p

I don't know about that, Mandy. Me and my girlfriend are as close to a perfect fit as you could reasonably expect two people to be. I think I said this before in the old thread but it feels like we're two pieces of a puzzle that are supposed to fit together.

I have my fingers crossed for you!

Had a first date with someone I just started talking to yesterday. I dont even want to say more and jinx it. He was awesome and has texted me since indicating we should see each other again. I know Theres no perfect fit, but woah. Hes currently rereading ASOIAF lol ok not saying anything more. Lol

Sometimes I feel like my dates go great until I tell people about them and then it all goes to hell.

Yeah, anyone who immediately starts in about 'perfect girls', jealousy of other men and what a nice guy they themselves are (despite the failure of said perfect girls to snap them up) is almost certainly a seething mass of resentment and entitlement issues looking for someone to latch on to. Also, quite possibly into the whole PUA thing. Avoid like the plague.

Question for the guys on OKC: would you avoid answering a girl who messaged you, but didn't have a profile pic or any information on her profile?

I messaged a guy yesterday, because we were like a 98% match on their quiz questions and he said in his profile that he was in the same field as I am. Apparently he's online, but I haven't gotten any message back. Do you reckon the completely empty profile (which I've done because I get enough spam messages as it is) is off-putting?

Question for the guys on OKC: would you avoid answering a girl who messaged you, but didn't have a profile pic or any information on her profile?

I messaged a guy yesterday, because we were like a 98% match on their quiz questions and he said in his profile that he was in the same field as I am. Apparently he's online, but I haven't gotten any message back. Do you reckon the completely empty profile (which I've done because I get enough spam messages as it is) is off-putting?

Mother of god yes. I don't message anyone with no picture and I definitely don't message anyone with no info in their profile.

It hasn't really been a problem for me in the past, I've only messaged a few people but they've all messaged back. I've had a handful of non-creepy guys also initiate conversations. I'm not sure whether the increase in spam messages would be worth it... Has anybody done the same before, gone from a blank profile to a filled-out one? Was there a significant jump in "hey howz it going ;) :)" messages?

Archived