Dagger and Coin II: Spoilers through The Spider's War

Rhom

This was another good read and I can't say enough positive things about the series. I am really curious to hear more about the dragon world and I like how the Inys was not this doom defying weapon. (I also like the hint that maybe it wasn't the spiders that destroyed the dragons, but it might have been the various races of humanity revolting against their masters after they had been weakened by war.)

Double Post, but thinking on it. Geder is a great villain, one whose motivations I get. I find that dark overlords tend to be unknowable things, but I understand Geder and it makes him all the better. The only villains I can think of on that scale are like Lord Foul or Kennit from the Liveship Traders.

I'm convinced Drakkis Stormcrow betrayed Inys. Particularly when you take into account the island was destroyed but that's not where Morade died - there is funny business going on.

I would not be surprised if that is true.

I'm convinced Drakkis Stormcrow betrayed Inys. Particularly when you take into account the island was destroyed but that's not where Morade died - there is funny business going on.

Do you think it is important to the story?

Does the possibility signal another twist in the Inys trope?

Is there a risk of the Dragons arrising to power again? Geder's toys took Inys down quite effectively. Inys can't breed by himself, can he?

Well, when he was drunk he made some allusion to repopulating the world again with dragons. Not sure how accurate or not that was though, given his state at the time.

Did we learn nothing from Jurassic Park?!!?

Well, when he was drunk he made some allusion to repopulating the world again with dragons. Not sure how accurate or not that was though, given his state at the time.

He repeated that assertion when sober, but got depressed when he thought about how they wouldn't know that old dragons knew.

The dragons were masters of genetic engineering and, given that he created the Timzinae, Inys was an adept of this art. However, it's one thing to breed variations of an existing species and quite another to reconstruct a species from a single adult male and maybe some long-dead corpses, particularly after most of your equipment was probably destroyed in a war or has rotted away centuries ago. He might be able to do it, but it would not be easy.

The dragons were masters of genetic engineering and, given that he created the Timzinae, Inys was an adept of this art. However, it's one thing to breed variations of an existing species and quite another to reconstruct a species from a single adult male and maybe some long-dead corpses, particularly after most of your equipment was probably destroyed in a war or has rotted away centuries ago. He might be able to do it, but it would not be easy.

I think the mountain-top fortress is evidence enough that that hasn't happened.

There is a obvious reference in the book to the biotech project that inys plans. To wit, he's going to genocide the 'non-human' races that have dragon blood in them to somehow extract part of the draconic 'essence' the progenitor dragons injected into them and believes this will allow him to hatch new dragons, which is probably total bullshit wishful thinking, knowing the author. There, there is part of the plot of the next or next to next book.

Or maybe the author will by some miracle not totally hamfist Inys into obvious villany considering his obvious predisposition to it and the laying of ground that occurred in this book, and the process just requires genetic material collection (but marcus will backstab him anyway).

Is there a risk of the Dragons arrising to power again? Geder's toys took Inys down quite effectively. Inys can't breed by himself, can he?

Do you think it is important to the story?

Does the possibility signal another twist in the Inys trope?

I think it would be a nice parallel if Marcus winds up similarly betraying Inys to stop a second rise of the dragons. That seems like a real possibility, given what we've seen so far.

First - Credit to Brook, I stole the theory from her :p I think what MrOJ said is the most likely place it goes, however I'll also throw in the possibility that when Inys pieces together what happens, he decides to kill poor old Murmus Stormcrow as the stand in for Drakkis Stormcrow in the modern age.

First - Credit to Brook, I stole the theory from her :p I think what MrOJ said is the most likely place it goes, however I'll also throw in the possibility that when Inys pieces together what happens, he decides to kill poor old Murmus Stormcrow as the stand in for Drakkis Stormcrow in the modern age.

Are you suggesting that Inys may have actually been the villain in the last war?

I guess I just don't see the story going in that direction. The trope of the dragon within the story had been playing second fiddle for the most part. I can envision Inys going away with little fanfare in light of the story's ultimate solution.

Maybe I'm just reading into it wrong.

Are you suggesting that Inys may have actually been the villain in the last war?

I guess I just don't see the story going in that direction. The trope of the dragon within the story had been playing second fiddle for the most part. I can envision Inys going away with little fanfare in light of the story's ultimate solution.

Maybe I'm just reading into it wrong.

While I'm fairly confident that Inys's "prank" had a bodycount in the millions, he was fighting against The End of Doubt and currently he isn't any kind of villian so much as out-of-context. Reptillian god-kings lack legitimacy, and dragon armies are a solved problem.

There is already large impact in a dog that didn't bark, though. If Inys had not been in Northcoast when the rogue priests arrived, the situation would be significantly different. No fanfare, but still overwelmingly important.

Archived