Dagger and Coin II: Spoilers through The Spider's War

Rhom

13 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Another prophecy that I've not seen mentioned in the thread is the one given to Clara by the cunning man - that a man she loves will ask her a question that she cannot answer and her silence will shape her life. My first though was Vincen but I have since concluded that 'the man' is Vicarian. I think that Clara may end up having to kill her son.

Hmm I'd forgotten this one, what book is it in? If it's recent then your prediction sounds pretty spot on and suitably tragic. 

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Well crap.  I just checked and my copy isn't due in until mid march.

Mine as well.  Estimated arrival date says the 14th or so.

I pre-ordered the ebook in the hope it would magically appear but I've been told I'm waiting until the release date. Guess I can turn my kindle on once a day and hope.

Usually it's physical books that tend to be easier to get as pre-releases due to a lot of stores not caring about the whole release date thing.

I'll probably just stop by a Barnes & Noble on March 8 and pick up my copy then. I've never had an issue buying a book in store on it's release day.

Just started a reread in preparation for the final book. Fuckin' Geder. He's a lot less sympathetic this time around.

On 2/26/2016 at 7:08 AM, Rhom said:

So, in a few days when the legit release hits, should I edit the topic to go through Spider's War just to keep all D&C discussion consolidated?

Don't know, but IIRC when Widow's House arrived we had something like three Abraham threads for a while.

2 hours ago, illrede said:

Don't know, but IIRC when Widow's House arrived we had something like three Abraham threads for a while.

I don't remember that.  I just remember the first D&C thread.  :dunno: 

Either way, its a week out.  I'll see what others want to do.  Sadly, Abraham's work doesn't get near the play here that I think it truly deserves.

16 hours ago, Rhom said:

I don't remember that.  I just remember the first D&C thread.  :dunno: 

Either way, its a week out.  I'll see what others want to do.  Sadly, Abraham's work doesn't get near the play here that I think it truly deserves.

I think he has a decent following. I think it could be that it's mainly praise we have for him and the busiest threads are usually the ones that have quite a lot of hate involved. The other factor is that he doesn't really write things that involve lots of theorising and super thought out conspiracy theories eg Bakker and GRRM. It's probably one of the reasons people like his books so much because you can enjoy them without having to pick it apart too much. It's really not a criticism and I'm certainly not saying his books are shallow but you don't need to worry too much about who did what and when did something happen. It's more why did someone do that.

I actually attempted to get into Daniel Abraham by reading DRAGONS PATH.  Unfortunately, I wasn't a big fan so I won't be continuing with the series.

I can see why the series gets a lot of praise but also takes a lot of heat.  For one, DA is a very meticulous author, which can be a good thing, but unfortunately in this case, it made his overall dialogue very boring to me.  I felt no suspense or emotions when reading his work...it was just all dead dialogue.

I'm a very big world-building kind of reader, and if you don't have good world-building, I just can't get into the book.  To DA's own admissions, this is not one of his strong-suits, so I guess his writing just doesn't mesh well with me.  There were too many fantasy cliches for my liking (dead dragons, nobles, politics, caravans, troupes, girls dressed as boys....all stuff I feel like I've read x1,000 times before.  Nothing stuck out to me as being unique.  And with 13 races of humans, there was barely any backstory on them.  No religion, mythology, culture, history...

I hate to sound like I'm trashing the book and Daniel Abraham....but I do think he's the type of Author that you either like or you hate, all depending on what you personally like in an authors style.  If you like meticulous detail and an in-depth plot, then chances are you'll enjoy DA.  But if you enjoy world building, mythology and lore, and backstory...then DA may not be your type of author.  

Archived