True Detective X - Bring Ginger Into Your Heart (Season One spoilers, Season Two speculation / casting)

SpaceChampion

JamesA,

Surprise for surprises' sake makes for a poor story if it comes at the expenses of where the character was clearly pointed from the early stages of the story. If the ending is surprising but out of joint, what purpose does it serve? Cohle was never really a Nihilist. For him to end still claiming to be such after everything he had done that was out of character for real Nihilism wouldn't have made sense even if it had been surprising. I think the vaugness of the end of the story kept the complexity intact while giving us a satisfactory character arc for Cohle and Marty.

I also felt kind of disappointed with how things ended with Rust and I couldn't really explain why at first but I think it was just because the writers went the positive route, like so many do, and I just didn't expect it to end that way I guess...I also understand how ridiculous that way of thinking is.

I knew Rust's attitude was just a big defense mechanism for his daughter, in a lot of ways, and the irony of him being such a dedicated detective despite his "nihilistic" views wasn't lost on me. I guess for some weird reason I just didn't want his pessimistic view on the world to change, which says a lot about me I'm sure.

The ending also didn't take away any enjoyment I had in watching it then or now, such a minor thing really.

I can't believe we are still arguing about this when the show has been over for nearly a year now. We are so screwed when Season 2 starts up. :ack:

To be fair, it was almost impossible for me to keep up with True Detective threads whilst the show was going on. They were moving really really fast. Plus, people come to shows late.

JamesA,

Surprise for surprises' sake makes for a poor story if it comes at the expenses of where the character was clearly pointed from the early stages of the story. If the ending is surprising but out of joint, what purpose does it serve? Cohle was never really a Nihilist. For him to end still claiming to be such after everything he had done that was out of character for real Nihilism wouldn't have made sense even if it had been surprising. I think the vaugness of the end of the story kept the complexity intact while giving us a satisfactory character arc for Cohle and Marty.

We're not connecting here, but I'll try again; the determinism that dictates it won't be a surprise is what gets me. I would hope if/when anything like that does happen, it'll be a result of disregard rather than threshold marking.

I can't believe we are still arguing about this when the show has been over for nearly a year now. We are so screwed when Season 2 starts up. :ack:

I only briefly got involved in this in the immediate wake of my marathoning the series, long after it's actual run. I was initially mostly confused with the ginger fetish, and just touched on the Rochester, as far as I remember. Didn't know this was ground in which people were already invested.

The Ginger fetish is really more about some kooky boarders enjoying trolling people. Or maybe that's just me. :D

Ginger is pretty awesome though, even if he's lying (still) in the ditch.

The Ginger fetish is really more about some kooky boarders enjoying trolling people. Or maybe that's just me. :D

Ginger is pretty awesome though, even if he's lying (still) in the ditch.

Ginger Love started when a few of us were simply just that bothered that a show that seemed to be so very detailed oriented just left the guy in a ditch knowing things that he knew because of what went down. It was jarring at that point of the show because things had been so tight.

From there it snowballed.

Archived