Watch, Watched, Watching: The Shed and Breakfast Edition

RedEyedGhost

Think of any super-pretty blockbuster film that had a wonky script over the past ... oh, 7 or 8 years.

Orci was probably one of the writers.

Bleh...what an asshole.

And yeah, now knowing about him, there was definitely a feeling of him having his finger in the very moronic pilot of Scorpion.

In the past week (or two. Time is fairly fuzzy to me anymore) I've watched-

BBC Sherlock season 1

Hannibal season 2

Star Wars: The Clone Wars season 4 (which I had somehow missed completely)

Jackie Brown

Out of the Furnace

The Usual Suspects

V/H/S 2

Last Action Hero

I like this whole Netflix thing.

How was Out of the Furnace? I wanted to check it out in the cinema, but it got some really mixed reviews so I decided against it.

How was Out of the Furnace? I wanted to check it out in the cinema, but it got some really mixed reviews so I decided against it.

It was decent but nothing special. I was pretty excited for it because of the awesome cast but I remember leaving the theatre very underwhelmed.

I'm pretty much just hate watching that show now. It started out well enough, but it was a little full of itself and seemed to think it was a much higher quality show than it actually is. Unfortunately that only gets worse as the seasons progress. The "super dramatic" moments in the past season were just laughable.

I'm with you. I really can't stand the situations they put themselves in since it's so unnecessary almost every single time. The drama feels so manufactured and it just pisses me off. I watch it because I've been watching it but I really can't stand it anymore.

Been watching some more episodes of Cowboy Bebop now. Im on ep 7 right now. And I was lukewarm after the first three episodes but man. Now the show really kicked off. Brilliance. Pure brilliance is what I'd call episode 5, and episode 6 was almost as good. Some of the best episodes I've seen of any tv show.

So while it took me some time to get to episode 4 if anyone else feels the same way as I did I'd at least recommend them to stick to episode 5 and see after. It's amazing what a little backstory can do for a character and a whole show. I got a new view on the show and am thinking back on things I was negative towards which I may reconsider. This show is now on my top priority to watch and I'm looking forward to the rest episodes.

Great acting all around (Zoe Saldana and Christian Bale had a particularly memorable scene). I wanted to like it but the movie fell flat and the ending just sort of dissipates which leaves you desiring a lot more. Lot of potential but they just didn't pull it off.

It was decent but nothing special. I was pretty excited for it because of the awesome cast but I remember leaving the theatre very underwhelmed.

Yeah that's about how I felt about it. It wasn't bad, and Harrelson, Bale, and Affleck all give great performances, but at the end I was just... I was ready for the credits.

Been watching some more episodes of Cowboy Bebop now. Im on ep 7 right now. And I was lukewarm after the first three episodes but man. Now the show really kicked off. Brilliance. Pure brilliance is what I'd call episode 5, and episode 6 was almost as good. Some of the best episodes I've seen of any tv show.

I would say I told you so but.. nah, fuck it, I told you so.

Most people seem to be of this opinion, so I guess I was right not going to the theatre.

I would say I told you so but.. nah, fuck it, I told you so.

I'm halfway through the series now. Just watched episode 13, Jupiter Jazz Part 2. And without exaggeration, I think this is among the best fiction I've seen all year. How the hell can a anime reach these highs? It's just brilliant on all levels when it's at it's highest level. The emotional and deep episodes are spectacular. Cowboy Bebop is equal to True Detective and Hannibal season 2, at least in my opinion. I would say it's even better than those two, when it's at its absolute high. I never thought I would say this about an anime. I complained about the show not being deep enough in the beginning, but it makes sense now when all that was buildup. To have some lighthearted moments and a lot pf buildup actually makes the payoff much greater. I now find the characters very deep and very interesting, at least Jet, Spike and Faye. Edward and Ein are just in teh abckground mostly. And Vicious makes for an excellent villain, even though he's barely on screen. This show has just blown my expectations about what you can make with a drawn series.

Will see if the remaining episodes can keep the quality, and if they do, this might just be the best tv series I've watched thus far this year. Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit now and need to melt it a bit, but I actually stand by my word earlier. Will see after 13 more episodes though.

Eh.

I ended up watching it over the past few weeks and I wouldn't rate it as high as that. There's some really standout episodes but also alot of filler (mostly in the second half I feel) Some of the good episodes are really good, but I ultimately found it felt underwritten. Like there wasn't enough there in the scripts frequently. It's got a loose sloppy feel overall, which may be the style they are going for with the jazz inspirations. But I find it hampers their ability to craft any sort of arc across the series. And the episodes just feel really short in general (well, they are really short realistically) The two parters I found the most effective for the most part because it felt like that gave the story enough time to really develop and gain momentum.

The main 3 feel well realised but Jet doesn't feel like he goes much past the archetype and Spike has some interesting complexity but no real arc over the whole series that extends beyond the final episode. Faye is the only one with a real narrative arc across the series. Ed just feels pointless. Like she exists solely because the creators felt the show needed anime-style wackiness for some reason.

The music is absolutely incredible throughout though.

Overall I'd say it was good, with some really good parts, but not to the level of something like True Detective. Not consistent enough in delivering.

Eh.

I ended up watching it over the past few weeks and I wouldn't rate it as high as that. There's some really standout episodes but also alot of filler (mostly in the second half I feel) Some of the good episodes are really good, but I ultimately found it felt underwritten. Like there wasn't enough there in the scripts frequently. It's got a loose sloppy feel overall, which may be the style they are going for with the jazz inspirations. But I find it hampers their ability to craft any sort of arc across the series. And the episodes just feel really short in general (well, they are really short realistically) The two parters I found the most effective for the most part because it felt like that gave the story enough time to really develop and gain momentum.

The main 3 feel well realised but Jet doesn't feel like he goes much past the archetype and Spike has some interesting complexity but no real arc over the whole series that extends beyond the final episode. Faye is the only one with a real narrative arc across the series. Ed just feels pointless. Like she exists solely because the creators felt the show needed anime-style wackiness for some reason.

The music is absolutely incredible throughout though.

Overall I'd say it was good, with some really good parts, but not to the level of something like True Detective. Not consistent enough in delivering.

Yeah, if the second half has even more filler i may have to rate it a bit lower. Im one of those who were dissappointed with true detectives second half and especially ending, so dont read too much into my statement about that. The first 4 episodes of td are tv magic though, but the last 3 are pretty mediocre.

And Bebop do have some really good filler eps, the one on venus and the one with refridgerator for example.

Im also pretty adamant about fillers but some of those episodes do work here. I need to see the second half of cowboy bebop though, before i can give a sure grade.

I'm halfway through the series now. Just watched episode 13, Jupiter Jazz Part 2. And without exaggeration, I think this is among the best fiction I've seen all year. How the hell can a anime reach these highs? It's just brilliant on all levels when it's at it's highest level. The emotional and deep episodes are spectacular. Cowboy Bebop is equal to True Detective and Hannibal season 2, at least in my opinion. I would say it's even better than those two, when it's at its absolute high.

I'm a big Hannibal fan (fannibal?), TD is more than a bit overrated. I think you are right though, Cowboy Bebop at its best is really hard to surpass. It also has a very cinematic quality about it. I think a couple of Cowboy Bebop live-action movies could be brilliant.

Im also pretty adamant about fillers but some of those episodes do work here. I need to see the second half of cowboy bebop though, before i can give a sure grade.

Be sure to comment after you have seen the last episode. It will be interesting to see how you react to the ending (be sure to watch until the end of the credits)

Ed just feels pointless. Like she exists solely because the creators felt the show needed anime-style wackiness for some reason.

Yeah, I love Cowboy Bebop, but this is true. Annoying Edward is easily the worst character. She's so very jarring and doesn't fit there at all. If there was ever a Bebop movie (live-action that is), they should cut her out completely.

Saw the thread title and knew this was the place for me. Watched all the new Trailer Park Boys eps, then went back to the beginning and am now working my way through the series again. Fuck I love those guys! Especially Randy.

Also found Doomsday Preppers on Netflix. I know the show's been around for a while, but it never caught my attention until now. This show is amazing! These people are out of their fucking minds, and their delusions make for riveting TV.

Just watched the first episode of a new BBC 3-parter, The Driver. David Morrissey as a bored cab driver who gets drawn into a life of crime ferrying a criminal gang around because he's bored- so a pretty standard premise, but it's very solidly executed. Morrissey is excellent, as is Ian Hart as his ex-con buddy, and it's got Colm Meaney in which is always a bonus. And it's well written, with just the right amount of slightly daft humour in among the building tension and character work.
Plus, I wasn't expecting a show set in Manchester to look so good... very well shot.

Initial evidence says it's recommended. A lot will depend on where it's going, but so far, so good.

Archived