Doctor Who Series 8; The time of the man that stops the monsters (v2)

Jon's Queen Consort

when Doctor wanted to kill Missy he I believe that subconsciously he didn't wanted to do it.

Certainly. The Doctor is never happy about having to kill anyone (directly, at least), and the Master in particular might be an enemy, but an enemy he has a great deal of history with, and one who cares about him (albeit in a very twisted way).

Certainly. The Doctor is never happy about having to kill anyone (directly, at least), and the Master in particular might be an enemy, but an enemy he has a great deal of history with, and one who cares about him (albeit in a very twisted way).

Agree. However I mean beyond that. I think that he would had tried to save her and not kill her and was biding his time.

Possible spoiler for season 9

So I just read that Jenna Coleman will be returning for the next season.

A Link

I don't have anything against Jenna Coleman. She has had some strong moments as Clara. But she hasn't been my favourite companion.

And while occasionally there have been moments between Capaldi and her that have been interesting. I'm not digging their Doctor - companion pairing. It more irritates me. I was hoping that a new companion could bring out a new side to 12.

Ah well. It's not like I'm going to stop watching or anything. It just comes down to my hopes and personal preference.

I truly like the chemistry between Jenna and Peter. Just rewatching some moments of "Flatline" convince me that she's perfect to stay a little bit more with the Doctor.

It would have been very poetic if her end was, as first suggested in the Last Christmas, 67 years later as an old woman (Matt Smith feels coming back !!!), but she is a very well written character imo, with her many flaws and her many qualities so I'm glad to see her come back !

Possible spoiler for season 9

So I just read that Jenna Coleman will be returning for the next season.

A Link

I don't have anything against Jenna Coleman. She has had some strong moments as Clara. But she hasn't been my favourite companion.

And while occasionally there have been moments between Capaldi and her that have been interesting. I'm not digging their Doctor - companion pairing. It more irritates me. I was hoping that a new companion could bring out a new side to 12.

Ah well. It's not like I'm going to stop watching or anything. It just comes down to my hopes and personal preference.

I think she was much better w/ Matt Smith, (Not that she was anywhere near what Amy or even Rory had w/ him) but I also think that they wrote it/ played it that way. In part for 12 to get his footing, but most likely was the best way to go. Sarah Jane is the only one to ever get closer to a new Doctor, and as 12 said, he wasn't her boyfriend

I liked, but didn't love the X-mas special.

The majority of the episode was very good. One of the better Christmas specials I think. But the ending...why does Moffat insist on teasing us with Clara leaving if it's not going to happen?

Hopefully I can take another year of Clara, providing there is no other big mystery or drama about her. Just quirky Clara, helping the Doctor out.

I really liked this year's Christmas special. No doubt three glasses of prosecco helped, combined with the kaleidoscopic effect of the opening credits. (I spent the first five minutes just staring at the screen, smiling and nodding in six-four time.) Have the impression that Steven Moffat looked at the much-hated line "And he woke up and it was all a dream" and saw it as a challenge. Anyway, Doctor Who/Inception turned out to be rather a fun combination.

3) Why was the Doctor's physical form on some lava planet?

Presumably that's where he encountered the dream crab. The real question is why that resulted in it sending five of its mates to Earth to attack the Doctor's ex-companion and four geographically diverse random strangers...

Presumably that's where he encountered the dream crab. The real question is why that resulted in it sending five of its mates to Earth to attack the Doctor's ex-companion and four geographically diverse random strangers...

It may have only been Clara. It was a dream in a dream in a dream in a dream. It may have simply been the two of them dreaming about saving others.

It may have only been Clara. It was a dream in a dream in a dream in a dream. It may have simply been the two of them dreaming about saving others.

As The Doctor said:"Dream logic."

If only every Doctor Who episode could use the same excuse.

On Christmas Day it was on TV while I was in the room but there was so much going on and the TV volume was very low so I couldn't have told you what happened in it. Doctor Who doesn't work well as a silent movie even if they occasionally helpfully wrote plot points on a blackboard, although given Stephen Moffat's obsession with plots centered around perception and having to avoid using some of your senses it's surely only a matter of time until he tries to do an episode reusing the gimmick of Buffy's Hush.

Today I watched the episode with sound which did help. At least I think I did watch it, I did have a headache in the left-hand side of my head for most of the afternoon so it's possible I dreamed the whole thing?

I didn't have particularly high hopes based on the teaser for it, but I thought it was a reasonably good Christmas episode, definitely an improvement on last year's episode. I was most worried about the incorporation of Santa into the storyline but at least the dream plotline provided a reason for using the character and I did enjoy the bantering with The Doctor. They didn't waste much time on the plot point about Clara having lied to the Doctor about Danny's death, which I don't mind because it was a fairly contrived and uninteresting plot point to begin with.

I did notice that on the Christmas Day viewing list that apparently inspired many of the plot points there a mention of Game of Thrones which unlike Alien/The Thing/Miracle On 34th Street didn't have any influence on the dreams that I noticed, although that might be a good thing since I don't think Doctor Who needs any sexposition.

It's typical that despite having most of the story take place in a dream which makes them immune to plot holes they still managed to put a plot hole in the tiny part of the episode that wasn't inside a dream.

I really liked this year's Christmas special. No doubt three glasses of prosecco helped, combined with the kaleidoscopic effect of the opening credits. (I spent the first five minutes just staring at the screen, smiling and nodding in six-four time.) Have the impression that Steven Moffat looked at the much-hated line "And he woke up and it was all a dream" and saw it as a challenge. Anyway, Doctor Who/Inception turned out to be rather a fun combination.

It's not the first time Moffat has used the dream-within-a-dream plot device, there's also Amy's Choice from his first season in charge (can't remember if he wrote that episode as well). While I thought the Christmas episode was OK I thought Amy's Choice was superior, it was more interesting in terms of characterisation and what the dreams revealed about the character and Toby Jones is always a good addition to any cast.

I liked it a lot, but I really think the ending with Clara being older would have been better. Was rooting for Shona as new companion, but I guess more Clara for at least another season...

They actually explained that--the Doctor says they must have pulled Clara from his memory and the others were basically random collateral damage.

They actually explained that--the Doctor says they must have pulled Clara from his memory and the others were basically random collateral damage.

They explained that it happened, but didn't give any indication as to why the crabs would want to do such a thing, or how they'd achieve it if they did want to. There's no suggestion that Clara's brain is tastier than that of anyone else in the universe, and the crabs we saw onscreen seemed to be just animals limited to scuttling around and jumping on people, which won't get you very far over interstellar distances. Of course, since everything we see is part of the dream, nothing we're shown about the crabs can be considered reliable information. In fact, there might not even be any crabs - the whole thing could be a regular nightmare for the Doctor alone, unless/until it gets referenced by Clara in a subsequent story. The final shot does suggest the Doctor is still dreaming, and he could have subconsciously realised Clara was lying to him about Danny. My theory is he wakes up for real and actually reunites with Clara offscreen between this episode and the next.

• 3 weeks later...

I missed the Christmas special as I was with family at the time and couldn't politely get away to watch. Having seen it, would you guys recommend it? With a few exceptions I really didn't enjoy the latest series. I did however watch The Snowmen for the first time just recently (Christmas special 2 years ago with Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman) and I really enjoyed that.

Or alternatively, Was anything important revealed in the Christmas Special, or anything that means you really do need to watch it?

I missed the Christmas special as I was with family at the time and couldn't politely get away to watch. Having seen it, would you guys recommend it? With a few exceptions I really didn't enjoy the latest series. I did however watch The Snowmen for the first time just recently (Christmas special 2 years ago with Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman) and I really enjoyed that.

Or alternatively, Was anything important revealed in the Christmas Special, or anything that means you really do need to watch it?

It explains the situation between Clara and the Doctor, but that's it really. It is however a rather good episode in my opinion.

Archived