Walking Dead Season 5 (No Comic Spoilers) Part 2

Alia of the knife

Why Beth...whyyyyy???

Damn I didn't want her to go but if it was between her and Carol I prefer loosing the priest...or any of Abe's group him included even pretty useless Tyrese and Sasha...but not her.

Btw I understood that Beth "got"that Dawn will never change and will let whatever needs to happen to happen to mantain that illusion and while she is alive people will be pushed into doing what they don't want. And her action were of abused person against her abuser. She saw rapes and beating continuing and she snapped.

Can't wait to see if they meet Morgan and where they go next.

Also I agree with Rick's new approach, his be good routine let him down one too many times. Finally when it came to running down and shooting some random guy who just knocked out one of yours and almost got Beth and Carol killed too Rick didn't hesitate. Go Rick.

It's sad because at least there was one character on there who wasn't disgusting, and then this happens. Looking at Rick and Darryl is kind of like looking at the walkers. It's difficult. Beth was like a vacation from armageddon for the eyes. Maybe that was a sign that she was next. Like one of those games in kids' magazines where they have to pick the thing that doesn't belong with the other things, she stood out.

The preacher guy lives on? What? And this Morgan thing is extra dumb now. Have him put on some dead person's Nike's and JUST DO IT already.

It's sad because at least there was one character on there who wasn't disgusting, and then this happens. Looking at Rick and Darryl is kind of like looking at the walkers. It's difficult. Beth was like a vacation from armageddon for the eyes. Maybe that was a sign that she was next. Like one of those games in kids' magazines where they have to pick the thing that doesn't belong with the other things, she stood out.

The preacher guy lives on? What? And this Morgan thing is extra dumb now. Have him put on some dead person's Nike's and JUST DO IT already.

I like the morally grey actions that Rick and crew engage in. Them being difficult to look at at times is what makes them realistic.

I didn't see much depth to Beth's character besides she almost killed herself in the second season.

If you're looking for someone easy to root for, and still has changed over time, I think Maggie fits that build.

ETA: Glen as well.

Also I agree with Rick's new approach, his be good routine let him down one too many times. Finally when it came to running down and shooting some random guy who just knocked out one of yours and almost got Beth and Carol killed too Rick didn't hesitate. Go Rick.

I've said before that Rick is my favorite character, and it is fun to see him going a little dark. He is absolutely not to be trifled with these days and it is glorious to watch.

But... I thought that running that guy down and killing him was a pretty terrible thing to do. That was much worse than what they did to the Termites (which I thought was justified). I like my Rick dark and scary, but kinda hoping they keep the cold blooded murders to a minimum in the future. I don't want to see him too far across the line.

The girl playing Beth isn't a horrible actor per se, but I've seen enough of her questionable abilities not to miss the character now she's gone. So if anyone was gonna go, I'm glad it was her (except the mullet man, that prick should've been offed). It was a good final scene never the less, although I wish deaths would occur because of rational unfolding plot developments rather than insane stupidity (Beth stabbing the cop with the scissors).

The girl playing Beth isn't a horrible actor per se, but I've seen enough of her questionable abilities not to miss the character now she's gone. So if anyone was gonna go, I'm glad it was her (except the mullet man, that prick should've been offed). It was a good final scene never the less, although I wish deaths would occur because of rational unfolding plot developments rather than insane stupidity (Beth stabbing the cop with the scissors).

I agree. Rick, Daryl, Carol, Morgan, Michonne, Shane, and the Govenor all made their characters unique, and are superb actors, but I don't think Emily Kinney is on that level.

I didn't understand why Rick told the other 2 officers that he killed Lamdon, or whatever his name was. Why not just say he escaped and they couldn't find him?

Rick told them that Lamson was killed by walkers, but they had seen Rick kill him, IIRC. But they agreed to lie for him. Although I'm not entirely sure why they lied for him in the end. He killed one of their own and a potential replacement for Dawn. Maybe to save their own necks?

Rick told them that Lamson was killed by walkers, but they had seen Rick kill him, IIRC. But they agreed to lie for him. Although I'm not entirely sure why they lied for him in the end. He killed one of their own and a potential replacement for Dawn. Maybe to save their own necks?

I believe that they said that if Dawn knew Rick had killed one of her officers, she would never deal with Rick. Meaning, in their eyes, if it came to that, Rick would kill them.

I've said before that Rick is my favorite character, and it is fun to see him going a little dark. He is absolutely not to be trifled with these days and it is glorious to watch.

But... I thought that running that guy down and killing him was a pretty terrible thing to do. That was much worse than what they did to the Termites (which I thought was justified). I like my Rick dark and scary, but kinda hoping they keep the cold blooded murders to a minimum in the future. I don't want to see him too far across the line.

Meh I don't think Rick's goal was to kill the dude by running him down, he just didn't want to mess around and let the guy escape. But his back got broken then what are Rick's options? Put a bullet in his head or let the walkers eat him. He made the good guy choice.

Still don't know who the good and bad cops were supposed to be. It was all convolutie. Dawn's final request and the way the others were quick to end the standoff after that makes me think Dawn was the pooper of the bunch after all and maybe she killed the fondly-remembered leader guy from the picture for less than noble reasons because she had control issues?

Beth didn't make her character "unique"? She was unique as the only one who hadn't adapted to the armageddon by becoming a monster. The characters who "made their characters unique" are all the same in how they've conformed to the pressures. They're all doing whatever they have to do to survive. That's teamwork, but it's sameness.

Still don't know who the good and bad cops were supposed to be. It was all convolutie. Dawn's final request and the way the others were quick to end the standoff after that makes me think Dawn was the pooper of the bunch after all and maybe she killed the fondly-remembered leader guy from the picture for less than noble reasons because she had control issues?

Beth didn't make her character "unique"? She was unique as the only one who hadn't adapted to the armageddon by becoming a monster. The characters who "made their characters unique" are all the same in how they've conformed to the pressures. They're all doing whatever they have to do to survive. That's teamwork, but it's sameness.

Conforming to pressures is realistic. Especially in the environment that they're in.

Beth just never evolved. A lot of people evolved, and conformed to pressures without becoming a "monster".

And it's not sameness, as certain characters have conformed to their own, individual experiences and perspectives.

Michonne, Rick, Andrea, Shane, Glen, Maggie, Hershel, Tyreese, Carol, Daryl, and Abraham have all made selfish/controversial calls at times, but they all have had a reason for doing it, and I think that makes them realistic. The Govenor, Merle, and I guess Shane are the only ones I would call a "monster".

Doesn't matter if it's realistic when the point of contention was whether it was unique. There's not a lot of variance in this group which is why they get along so well, they've all come around to seeing the same necessities. I like the group and didn't say monster to put them in a bad light. they've engaged in the fight for survival and it's required them to be as vicious as all the other monsters they meet out there, hence monstrous from our civilized POV, but very MC behavior (monstrously correct). Tyrese is the oddball who's mentally halfway between the preacher guy's total pacifism and the group's dogfight approach. The unique one was Beth managing to keep her original demeanor intact and keeping the flame of civilization alive and rekindling Darryl's hope of seeing it make a comeback, etc. That's why Darryl was so quick to act against Dawn. Beth was his treasure map back to normality in case things ever got better. She was the seed of civilized life they were carrying with them, the one who could remind them how to be human again once the survival marathon ends and they realize they've lost touch with their former selves.

Doesn't matter if it's realistic when the point of contention was whether it was unique. There's not a lot of variance in this group which is why they get along so well, they've all come around to seeing the same necessities. I like the group and didn't say monster to put them in a bad light. they've engaged in the fight for survival and it's required them to be as vicious as all the other monsters they meet out there, hence monstrous from our civilized POV, but very MC behavior (monstrously correct). Tyrese is the oddball who's mentally halfway between the preacher guy's total pacifism and the group's dogfight approach. The unique one was Beth managing to keep her original demeanor intact and keeping the flame of civilization alive and rekindling Darryl's hope of seeing it make a comeback, etc. That's why Darryl was so quick to act against Dawn. Beth was his treasure map back to normality in case things ever got better. She was the seed of civilized life they were carrying with them, the one who could remind them how to be human again once the survival marathon ends and they realize they've lost touch with their former selves.

I agree with this. Though I also think that it has a lot to do with him being alone with just her for a while, and feeling like he was the one whom lost her. Surely her personality had a lot to do with him reacting the way he did this last episode. I believe Andrea had the same effect on Dale, and Carl towards Michonne.

My main argument against your original point is that you said: "It's sad because at least there was one character on there who wasn't disgusting, and then this happens. Looking at Rick and Darryl is kind of like looking at the walkers. It's difficult. Beth was like a vacation from armageddon for the eyes. Maybe that was a sign that she was next. Like one of those games in kids' magazines where they have to pick the thing that doesn't belong with the other things, she stood out."

I wouldn't consider Rick and Daryl hard to look at, because you have characters like Glenn and Maggie who have good morals even still. You even said that Daryl valued Beth for how she was able to survive without adopting malicious tendencies, and how that could benefit him and the group once the surviving was done. I don't see how Daryl could be disgusting if he can still find that goodness in somebody.

I wouldn't say Beth was incredibly unique because she went through similar things that Maggie went through. They both lost Hershel, and Maggie turned out OK as well. Beth went through a brief wrist-cutting deal, which turned into nothing. Maggie and Beth were both separated from people that they loved, as well. Was she a virtuous character? I suppose so, but I also think that she didn't face as many obstacles that some of the other characters had faced; therefore less variables to changer her moral goodness. She had a chance to develop after her short-lived boyfriend died at the beginning of last season, but just shrugged it off as 'I'm not gonna cry anymore.' Is that her fault? I don't think so. I just don't think the writers had enough time on the show to develop her character at that time.

Archived