Sherlock

Jaxom 1974

44 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

:drool: It looks shiny and chrome :D

I'm getting some Prof. Moriarty vibes from Toby Stephens. He has the right look, but I'm pretty certain he is someone else. This show usually isn't that obvious.

Do we have a release date? It says 2017, but will it be on its usual slot?

Also, I just have to say that I love that Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch, despite their absolutely jampacked schedules still find the time to do this series. That's some proper commitment :D 

1 minute ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Fixed that for you! :D

Toby Stephens as a baddie would have been great too. B)

Awch, that was a painful mistake :blush: Thanks for the fix :) 

• 2 months later...

Titles revealed for first two episodes of ‘Sherlock’ Season 4

Episode 1 will be titled ‘The Six Thatchers’ and Episode 2 will be titled ‘The Lying Detective’.

The title ‘The Six Thatchers’ is presumably based on ‘The Adventure of the Six Napoleons’ and the title ‘The Lying Detective’ seems likely to be based on ‘The Adventure of the Dying Detective’.

On 7/6/2016 at 11:43 AM, Veltigar said:

For one brief, glorious moment I thought I read Toby Stephens instead of Toby Jones. Now that would have been a sight to see, although Toby Jones is a great actor in his own right :) 

He is 50% Maggie Smith, damn right that would have been glorious. That said, he has impressive resume on his own. I just needed to express my deepest admiration and love for Dame Maggie Smith once again :D 

34 minutes ago, Risto said:

He is 50% Maggie Smith, damn right that would have been glorious. That said, he has impressive resume on his own. I just needed to express my deepest admiration and love for Dame Maggie Smith once again :D 

I remembered the first time I found out he was Dame Maggie's son. I was really quite surprised. His resume is indeed pretty good, but especially when it comes to film, his resume isn't as great as it should be based on pure raw talent. I guess he must have preferred theatre to the silver screen for most of his career. 

• 1 month later...

The show’s official Twitter account confirmed that Season 4 will begin on Sunday, 1st January 2017 on BBC One.Masterpiece PBS has also announced that Season 4 will premiere on the same day in the United States.

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/start-dates/uk-and-us-start-date-confirmed-for-sherlock-season-4

On 25/7/2016 at 1:17 AM, Veltigar said:

Toby Stephens

That would had been great! I think that he would had been "the other one" that Mycroft had told about in His Last Vow. I know that this isn't going to happen but still, it would be great.

On 1/10/2016 at 11:05 PM, Risto said:

He is 50% Maggie Smith, damn right that would have been glorious.

QFT

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2 hours until the premiere. yay! :D .I was just reading on the Guardian site that Cumberbatch and Arthur Conan Doyle are cousins!! :o

Ok,16th cousins, but still,they are related.:D

According to the website Ancestry.com, Cumberbatch, 40, and Conan Doyle, who died in 1930, were 16th cousins, twice removed. Their common ancestor was John of Gaunt, duke of Lancaster, fourth son of King Edward III and father of Henry IV.

John of Gaunt, who died in 1399, was Doyle’s 15th-great-grandfather and Cumberbatch’s 17th-great-grandfather, the website said.

Well, that was rubbish. An unfocussed mess throughout. Really, all I wanted out of this new season was more Mary crap. Glad that she 

Spoiler

will no longer weigh this series down. That's probably the only positive thing I can say about this entire episode.

This must surely be the worst episode this series has done no? I barely remember season three, so I imagine that there were more than a few clunckers there, but this was positively bad. I wanted to turn the tele off several times and that's really not something that should happen when you're watching a series with that kind of talent attached to it (although the Hobbit does provide precedent I guess). The plot was barely coherent, the actress playing Mary was painfully bad, Watson was completely sidelined and everything felt so forced to me. Everybody involved with Sherlock always keeps reminding us of the fact that this series is a labour of love to them, but that was never apparent at any moment. I'm really disappointed.

Mary's character is so out of place and has dragged the show right down over the last couple of series. Her story in today's episode has been done so many times in different films/shows/books and pretty much every one of them has done it miles better.

I'm not sure what was more cringeworthy - the Thatcher shtick or Sherlock's pre-titles scene.

I must agree with the above comments, even though I really wanted to like this episode. It didn't help that my DVR probably didn't record right from the start, so I was confused from the first min. Also, a bit too artsy just for the sake of being artsy.

Spoiler

I realized Mary had to go, because they gave her such a badass background that she definitely threatened to supplant John as Sherlock's partner. I feel sorry for John, because last season I did really enjoy the wedding episode, even though he was being a dickhead now, too, for no apparent reason. 

Here's hoping Toby not Stephens will make a splash and we'll have a much needed improvement.

I'm glad I'm not alone in my reaction.  I enjoyed the first ~20 minutes as we got reacquainted with the characters and Sherlock was amusingly arrogant, and then it turned into yet another Mary story. Her character may be the single worst plot decision I've ever seen.  For a show of this quality to be dragged down for two entire seasons by a baffling choice to shoehorn a poorly written and/or acted James Bond into a buddy-detective show is unforgivable.  The clue for the showrunner should that when there is no central mystery in a detective mystery show, you've lost your way. 

I can only hope we improve from here, but that's a third of the season wasted. 

I haven't yet watched this.  It's not unlikely that I won't ever watch it, as much as I've disliked the last season.

Unlike those of you here, so many have thought this was a wonderful episode, such as here:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/02/sherlock-recap-series-four-episode-one-the-six-thatchers

Which may force me to watch it just so I can know for myself who I agree with!  :cheers:

Archived