Jurassic World

Commodore

Haven't seen it yet, but I watched the original last week. It stands the test of time - and does so with only minimal CGI (only where absolutely necessary) and has pitch perfect pacing, sound design, and dialogue. Consider, of course, Nedry's introductory scene: "Dodgson! We've got Dodgson here!".

I'm not expecting much. The question is whether I should just stick to seeing Fury Road again...

The idea that dinosaurs could be safely bred and contained for viewing pleasure kind of reminds me of an adage I've heard regarding the likelyhood of colliding with a deer on the roads in north Idaho. The adapted version would go something like, "there are two types of dinosaur theme parks; those that have had hilariously predictable breakdowns in containment resulting in gruesome civilian casualties, and those that are going to have hilariously predictable breakdowns in containment resulting in gruesome civilian casualties"

I think that if we could actually clone dinosaurs, then we could make a very safe zoo for them. Giant scary dinosaurs kept safely behind thick steel fences and giant trenches doesn't make for an exciting movie though. I also don't see why they couldn't genetically engineer a scary looking but harmless dinosaur.

Whatever we think of the movie-more will surely be on the way.

The movie made 511 million worldwide this weekend. It's a success.

I was just going to post that. Dinos will always bring in the cash, but this was quite unexpected.

[mod] It would be really nice if instead of discussing plagiarism and making the thread off-topic, someone would actually report this stuff. :rolleyes: [/mod]

I was just going to post that. Dinos will always bring in the cash, but this was quite unexpected.

Yah my kids already bugging the crap out of me to take him, so Sat afternoon I'll be watching. Kids friggin love Dinos, love em. So no I'm not surprised. If the movie was half way good, and it seems to be better than that, then it was always going to do crazy numbers. Kids bring mom and dad so you're getting a twofer, family movies make bank.

Saw the movie yesterday. Let me start by saying that the Jurassic Park is one of my all time favorite movies. I saw it 13 times in the theater when I was 11. I was obsessed with it. I have this thing where I pretend that none of the sequels exist, much like others do with Highlander, and Star Wars.

I intentionally did not read any reviews, and tried to keep my expectations low, though I had heard some people compare it to the original, and the trailer was awesome so I admit my expectations had crept up a bit.

In all it was a fine blockbuster summer movie, but it did not have the magic of the original. Though I did love all the references to the original.

When the kids stumble upon the original visitors center, and find the "When Dinosaurs Ruled the World" banner. I was sufficiently manipulated by nostalgia to find the moment awesome.

Chris Pratt has a lot of charisma. I've heard his due to take over the mantle of Indiana Jones, and I am okay with that. I was very annoyed that Bryce Howard wore high heals through out the movie.

Seriously watching someone run from a T Rex in high heels and a pencil skirt is just fucking ridiculous, and not in an awesome way. Dr. Ellie Sattler, or a Dr. Sattleresc character was very missed in this movie. As was Lex.

In all if you want to see an okay movie, with some impressive, some stupid, affects, and a strong charismatic male lead, with a female lead who has nice make up through the movie. This is the movie for you!

I thought it was half decent. The plot was REALLY straight forward, although my wife kept digging her nails into my leg ever time a scary scene happened..

This sort of thing always make me anticipate when VR will get much better. Hell, Oculus Rift will be out in Q1 next year, which I'm sure will have some sort of Dino hunting park game.

My thoughts are fairly similar to Seventh Pup. If I was forced to choose one movie from my childhood to call my favourite it would be Jurassic Park. I went into this from the trailer really looking forward to it as I liked the idea that they managed to realize Hammond's dream and finally create this amazing theme park rather than it all going balls up at the research stage.

Overall I thought it was really entertaining, it looked amazing, and I was never bored for a second. There was a really nice blend of referencing the past, little nods to nostalgia, and then some new really creative exhibits and activities to do at the park that made me wish something like this was real. The plot was fine, it was only ever going to go down the way everyone expects it. I found myself thinking a lot through it that it just lacks a bit of charm and warmth, that's not unique to most action movies today though.There's two major issues I had:

1) Human characters - I love Chris Pratt but he was very miscast here. Not much joy or fun in his character. Bryce Dallas Howard was pretty dull unfortunately, if we were supposed to feel the attraction building between her and Pratt throughout the movie then they really failed at having chemistry. Older boy was so unlikeable - the whole weirdness with his girlfriend and then checking out other girls at the park went nowhere, seemed pointless, and just made him seem like a jerk. Younger boy was okay, but I never felt the urgency that he ever thought he was in danger or was terrified like the kids in the 1993 movie really gave off. Vincent D'Onofrio - I'm not sure why we needed such a super villain character, was Wilson Fisk fresh in his mind?

2) So much Military and war stuff - Is the world so obsessed by super military weapons and impending war that we can't even have an innocent movie about dinosaurs without the grander picture being about creating killing machines for the Army?

Haven't read through the thread to see if this was mentioned yet, but as far as I can tell they never dealt with those Pteradactys. Still giant vicious birds on the loose flying around uncaged at the end of the movie.

First class effects, especially the genetically engineered dinosaur, with some outstanding action sequences. But I felt the plot left a lot to be desired. Somehow enjoyed the prequels a lot more than this latest one.

Prequels? Both Lost World, and Jurassic Park 3 took place after the original.

Archived