The Animated Adventures of "Firefly"- dare we hope this will happen?

Ser Scot A Ellison

There comes a time when things, no matter how good they were, should just be let rest. Firefly reached that point a long time ago.

I think there's definitely room in the world for this too. Hopefully this will edge out some of the shittier "reality" shows. But if wishes were fishes, the world would smell fucking horrible.

There comes a time when things, no matter how good they were, should just be let rest. Firefly reached that point a long time ago.

I don't see it that way. This was a show that had one season, and whose shelf-life was truncated.

Sadly Serenity downgraded the interest I have in the setting* but retconning it out of existence can fix that.

*As to why Serenity is bad, it was the first Firefly related thing I watched. It's not very compelling, and the whole revelation about the Reapers is rather underwhelming. Watching Firefly and coming back to Serenity only deepens the chasm of quality between Serenity and the show. River being a psychic weapon is also underwhelming, given what the lead up in the show suggested.

Well, I watched Serenity after watching the entire Firefly series, so I don't know how or if that affected my opinion. But I thought the Reaver reveal was quite satisfying, and the rest of the film was as witty and fun, with compelling stakes, moral quandaries, and intelligent themes- all in keeping with Firefly's general level of excellence. I'm in the Firefly/Serenity is perfect in ever way camp.

I don't see it that way. This was a show that had one season, and whose shelf-life was truncated.

Pretty strange that we're willing to tolerate an endless number of Star Wars and Marvel films but this is the limit.

Perhaps Fez is just afraid his heart will get broken again :P

People wishing for Serenity to be retconned have no idea about how Serenity came to be. It's like wishing for Return of the Jedi to be retconned out of existence.

When you talk about how it came to be, are you talking about the fundraising? I don't see why that matters.

While I feel like series Wash was a fully realized character, movie Wash was just a bastardized abomination with a crappy death scene who's only purpose was to give to the other characters story arcs. At least he didn't run a 5k before expiring though.

While I feel like series Wash was a fully realized character, movie Wash was just a bastardized abomination with a crappy death scene who's only purpose was to give to the other characters story arcs. At least he didn't run a 5k before expiring though.

Books was worse, at least Washs death added a little tension to the end ( it also killed any humor they tried to accomplish after he died tbh )

Pretty strange that we're willing to tolerate an endless number of Star Wars and Marvel films but this is the limit.

Perhaps Fez is just afraid his heart will get broken again :P

I'm no fan of the constant superhero sequels and tie-ins either. But that's a slightly different problem, since at least with that there's usually lots of different directors, writers, actors, etc.

With tv shows, where it's the same showrunner, the same cast, it just becomes tiring. When shows run too long, you usually can pretty easily tell that no one is that happy to be there anymore (except maybe for the paycheck), for instance HIMYM. And for shows that are brought back from the dead, like Arrested Development, even if everyone involved wants to be involved, they almost never capture the same magic again.

I'd rather creative types moved on to new challenges, New stories, not trying to recapture the old magic. BecUse they almost never do.

OAR,

Hey now, let's not forget that wealth redistributing Hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne. :P

Hey, I thought "intention" takes priority over results in leftist redistrobutionist philosophy. Jayne pretty clearly never intented to share that money whatever the result.

:P

As much as I loved the movie. If there was to be a show - animated or otherwise - Wash would need to be alive and the pilot of Serenity.

Inara and Book would still need to be (preferably) on Serenity and a part of the crew. Or function in the story in such a way that their story arcs get revealed in an engaging and satisfying way.

Also (and this is just a personal wish of mine.) Wash and Zoe need to have at least one kid. (Or baby in the making) Because that was the only thing from 'Heart of Gold' that made me feel hopeful and see a fuller character in Zoe.

Aaaaand now I want to do another Firefly marathon watch.

The comic Leaves on the Wind is the canon continuation of Firefly/ Serenity, this looks more like fan work to me... or if it is legit it would have to involve those storylines or REALLY piss off the loyal fans.

Personally I think another Firefly TV show would have to follow the Star Trek model and use a fresh cast in the same universe with continuity and cameos. The series has been gone too long and the movie changed too much to bring back a show as excellent as Firefly. But I am confident that a related series could be as good or better with the right team.

When I met Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin this year, I told them that I would give one of my testicles for another season of Firefly...

They didn't seem interested in that offer.

You shouldn't have lowballed them.

The comic Leaves on the Wind is the canon continuation of Firefly/ Serenity, this looks more like fan work to me... or if it is legit it would have to involve those storylines or REALLY piss off the loyal fans.

Personally I think another Firefly TV show would have to follow the Star Trek model and use a fresh cast in the same universe with continuity and cameos. The series has been gone too long and the movie changed too much to bring back a show as excellent as Firefly. But I am confident that a related series could be as good or better with the right team.

Yep. On the Firefly/Kickstarter thread a few years ago, I had a similar idea. It all hinged on convincing Chiwetel Ejiofor to come back as The Operative. Now that he's an acclaimed movie star, that probably isn't possible. Even with truckloads of Kickstarter cash.

Archived