Small Questions v.10094

Jon Weirgaryen

Was Arya's third name to Jaqen wasted? She used her third name to free the northmen in the cells, but it seems like Roose was coming either way. Were the northmen going to be freed, and Harrenhal fall regardless of Arya's intervention?

You could see it that way. The Northmen who had been imprisoned were "imprisoned".. it was a ruse, and Vargo had already turned from the Lannisters to the Starks. The Lannister forces just needed to be told. Arya's plan just made the events speed up.

You could also see it in the way that the last name got her the coin she used to get to Braavos :)

^^^Well, the Freys are very wealthy, but Riverrun has all the riverlords behind it should it come to a clash. Well, before AFFC at least.

Now Walder Frey is liege lord, so the riverlords obey him.

We don't know how wealthy the Frey's are, so comparisons cannot really be drawn in wealth.

However, the question was about the strength of the castles, not the wealth of the lords. Riverrun is not the strongest castle in the Riverlands, but I'd say it has quite some advantageous over the Twins.

We don't know how wealthy the Frey's are, so comparisons cannot really be drawn in wealth.

However, the question was about the strength of the castles, not the wealth of the lords. Riverrun is not the strongest castle in the Riverlands, but I'd say it has quite some advantageous over the Twins.

What castle is the strongest? Harrenhal?

Now Walder Frey is liege lord, so the riverlords obey him.

While Walder Frey is a liege lord, he is not the Lord Paramount of the Riverlands as was Hoster Tully. That honour is Petyr Baelish's. And the one true Leech Lord will always be Roose Bolton. #teamroose

And we're talking post-Balerion Harrenhal?

That's a difficult one. Harrenhal as it was upon completion was supposedly impregnable. But the current Harrenhal's big strength is also it's weaknes.. It's size. It's difficult to storm the caslte, I think, but also incredibly difficult to keep an amount of men big enough to man the walls, and keep the castle from becomming exactly what it became partly before, but definitly during the war.

Riverrun has some great strategic advantageouses. From the World Book:

The seat of House Tully is small when compared to the great fortress castles of other great houses. It is not even the largest castle in the riverlands, for Harren the Black’s ruined immensity of Harrenhal could contain ten Riverruns.

Yet Riverrun is stout and well constructed, and its position at the juncture of two rivers, surrounded by deep waters on two sides, makes it exceedingly difficult to assault. Though besieged many times over the centuries, Riverrun has seldom been taken, and never by storm. Key to the castle’s strength is the moat dug beneath its western wall, where the main gate stands. Many castles in the Seven Kingdoms have moats, but few are created with complicated sluice gates that allow them to be flooded at need. This gives Riverrun’s moat a depth and breadth few others can achieve. With its moat fully flooded, Riverrun becomes an island, all but invulnerable to assault.

I don't think Walder Frey is the liege lord of the Riverlands. When Jaime is at Harrenhall the Frey who is married to Jenna Lannister who is going to be lord of Riverrun says that sons have to obey fathers, but that lords have to obey their liege lords, and Jaime then says that Peter Baelish is the lord Paramount.

In my opinion Emmon Frey is Lord of Riverrun and liege lord of Riverlands. Petyr Baelish is Lord of Harrenhall and Lord Paramount of the Trident

And yet, Emmon is specifically told that he is not the ruler of the Riverlands

“To be sure,” Lord Emmon said. “Ser Jaime, your lord father’s faith in me was well placed, you shall see. I mean to be firm but fair with my new vassals. Blackwood and Bracken, Jason Mallister, Vance and Piper, they shall learn that they have a just overlord in Emmon Frey. My father as well, yes. He is the Lord of the Crossing, but I am the Lord of Riverrun. A son has a duty to obey his father, true, but a bannerman must obey his overlord.”

Oh, gods be good. “You are not his overlord, ser. Read your parchment. You were granted Riverrun with its lands and incomes, no more. Petyr Baelish is the Lord Paramount of the Trident. Riverrun will be subject to the rule of Harrenhal.”

That did not please Lord Emmon. “Harrenhal is a ruin, haunted and accursed,” he objected, “and Baelish... the man is a coin counter, no proper lord, his birth...”

“If you are unhappy with the arrangements, go to King’s Landing and take it up with my sweet sister.” Cersei would devour Emmon Frey and pick her teeth with his bones, he did not doubt. That is, if she’s not too busy fucking Osmund Kettleblack.

All Emmon got was a castle, the lands that come along with it, and the incomes from those lands. That's it.

Any particular reason why Selmy chose the name "Arstan"?

Barristan Selmy....

I know the question was the strength of castles, not wealth, but wealth can buy you sellswords and everything. Certainly counts.

Do we know if castellan of Storm's End ser Harbert ( who wanted to kill Patchface and convinced Stannis to abandon his pet hawk Proudwing) was a Baratheon?

He's Stannis' great-uncle, so there's a pretty decent chance.

Archived