Small Questions v.10094

Jon Weirgaryen

Yeah probably not. I doubt the rebels needed to borrow money from them either. Now you've got me thinking what might have happened if Aerys realized the threat sooner and requested aid from the free cities.

Yeah I am sure those letters would have gone over well.

Dear Myr

It has come to my attention that my ancestors, YOU WILL SERVE ME AND BURN, BURN, BURN! Once fought along side each other, there is a possible conspiracy afoot to DESTROY, I WILL DESTORY YOU ALL WHO HAVE YOU BEEN TALKING? YOU WILL BEND TO ME THE WORLD WILL BEND OT THE DRAGON REBORN. I request your aid hummbly, SO I MAY EAT YOUR SOULS AND BURN YOU IN FIRE.

Sincerly the mad king. I mean Aerys, yeah I think that's my name, do you know my name?

I haven't reread ADWD so the details are a little blurred : does Septa Lemore know the true identity of Tyrion when they travel together? Do JonCo and Aegon know?

Connington knows from the letter Illyrio wrote. I can't remember offhand if it's indicated what the others know or suspect.

I'm aware it was lost in Dorne, but are there any theories on the location of Aegon I's crown?

There are two possibilities. Either someone random grabbed it, in which case it was probably melted down long ago, or the Martells have it as a trophy. The problem with the trophy theory is that you would almost expect them to return it to Daeron II if that was the case. But then they never returned Rhaeny's bones either. Do we know if Daeron I's body was returned?

There are two possibilities. Either someone random grabbed it, in which case it was probably melted down long ago, or the Martells have it as a trophy. The problem with the trophy theory is that you would almost expect them to return it to Daeron II if that was the case. But then they never returned Rhaeny's bones either. Do we know if Daeron I's body was returned?

Daeron's body was returned by way of Weeping Town. Which begs the question: where exactly did Daeron die? It's something I've been wondering for awhile. He came down to end rebellion in Dorne by going down the Boneway, but a member of his kingsguard, Olyvar, can be interpreted as having died beside the king in the Princes Pass. More info is on my Three Leaf Theory thread below... Even though it's a small thing, I'm dying to have it answered.

I'm aware it was lost in Dorne, but are there any theories on the location of Aegon I's crown?

I posted this a little while back...

Ooh, here you go... What if Illyrio acquired the crown and included it in those chests for Aegon to give to Daenerys as he asks for her hand?

So of the three main fleets, who actually mans them?

Redwyne- Redwyne men and other men from the Reach? I doubt Redwyne could muster 20'000 by themselves that's so unrealistic, so Hightower and Shield Islanders to?

Iron- All houses of the Iron Islands

As for the Royal fleet, who was on those ships? Stannis's fleet presumably was from the lords of Dragonstone, since the fleet manages it's way to Storms End but what about Joffrey's fleets? Gold cloaks?! Red cloaks or crown lords? Is it a standing force or levied from crown lords? Does it just have a skeleton force of sailors then The Lord using it puts his soldiers on the boats?

Last option is most realistic me thinks.

The Redwyn fleet is manned by Redwyn men, and those of any other bannermen from the Arbor. If it was manned by anyone else it wouldn't be the Redwyn fleet. Most of the ships are trade ships, which means they spend much/most of their time off the Arbor in other cities or sailing the oceans. They catch food and trade for it, their population is not limited by the Arbors natural resources.

I haven't reread ADWD so the details are a little blurred : does Septa Lemore know the true identity of Tyrion when they travel together? Do JonCo and Aegon know?

Connington knows from the letter Illyrio wrote. I can't remember offhand if it's indicated what the others know or suspect.

When Tyrion tells Aegon that he knows who the boy is, he also identifies himself to both Aegon and Connington, right before they run into the stone men. Who else aboard the ship knows, or cares, who Tyrion is is unclear, but it seems that after Tyrion identifies himself it's not a secret anymore. When Lemore and Connington are talking after Tyrion is taken by Jorah, Lemore still refers to Tyrion as Hugor, but knows about the price that Cersei put on his head. When she learned this stuff, who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised if she knew before Tyrion's capture. She may very well have been within earshot when Tyrion identified himself.

Does Bronn know how to read? He did tell Pod that too much reading would ruin his sword eye.

I can't bear the thought of one of my favorite characters being illiterate.

I don't think it's confirmed either way, but probably not. Literacy was quite rare in Middle Ages and Westeros: it was mainly restricted to nobility (and not even all nobility, as Lady Dustin says some of them are illiterate so they use masters to read them their letters), priesthood and those smallfolk who need it for business (merchants and such). There's no reason for simple mercenary to learn letters. I mean, there's always a possibility that Bronn went out of his way and learned how to read - but I wouldn't bet on it, especially seeing his dismissive comment to Pod.

I remember an interview where George R.R. Martin stated that literacy in Westeros is much higher than in real history, but still there seems to be a lot of illiteracy as we learn from the Night's Watch, where they haven't got enough literate brothers.

Archived