Best movies of the half-decade

JonArryn

"I didnt want to stand back and say: This is bad behaviour. Its not for us to say, its for us to present. And obviously its bad behaviour".~Martin Scorsese

And again we come back to the issue of people wanting a movie to punish scumbags that real life didn't. A more conventional fictional movie would focus on the cop and would have Belfort spend decades behind bars, but this is a true story.

:bowdown:

I don't want it to punish him. I just want it to say something. Scorsese apparently doing it on purpose doesn't make it intrinsically a good thing to have done.

I don'tneed it to be condemnation, in particular - Raging Bull, for example, didn't particularly go out of its way to condemn LaMotta. But Raging Bull mined massive amounts of drama from the tensions of his personality and what they did both for and to him in and out of the ring, whereas tWoWS has nothing like that and in fact minimised his family as much as possible to concentrate on the 'fun' stuff. It's just a series of events. Even the FBI guy was only in it the bare minimum of time possible to establish that he existed and was chasing Belfort and eventually caught him, aside from that one scene on the subway.

And again we come back to the issue of people wanting a movie to punish scumbags that real life didn't. A more conventional fictional movie would focus on the cop and would have Belfort spend decades behind bars, but this is a true story.

Again, you don't have to feel that Belfort had to get hit by lightning to feel that the film reduced the actual impact of what he and his friends did by choosing to glory in his exploits to the exclusion of all else. It's an incredibly narcissistic movie, and I don't buy that it's inherently good because Scorcese "trusts" us and chose to do this. And I'm one of the people that had really lost any emotional attachment by the time this discussion started.

Quite frankly, his answer as quoted doesn't actually deal with the entire complaint. It's not just "why didn't you tell us that fucking hookers at 11AM on a Monday is bad?".

For me, the best movie I've seen in the last 5 years has to go to Live. Die. Repeat. Edge of Tomorrow. Had no idea what to expect going into it and ended up buying it the day after I watched it so I could watch it again. Best sci-fi movie I've seen since The Matrix

For me, the best movie I've seen in the last 5 years has to go to Live. Die. Repeat. Edge of Tomorrow. Had no idea what to expect going into it and ended up buying it the day after I watched it so I could watch it again. Best sci-fi movie I've seen since The Matrix

I really need to get around to seeing that. Love Emily Blunt.

I don't want it to punish him. I just want it to say something. Scorsese apparently doing it on purpose doesn't make it intrinsically a good thing to have done.

I don'tneed it to be condemnation, in particular - Raging Bull, for example, didn't particularly go out of its way to condemn LaMotta. But Raging Bull mined massive amounts of drama from the tensions of his personality and what they did both for and to him in and out of the ring, whereas tWoWS has nothing like that and in fact minimised his family as much as possible to concentrate on the 'fun' stuff. It's just a series of events. Even the FBI guy was only in it the bare minimum of time possible to establish that he existed and was chasing Belfort and eventually caught him, aside from that one scene on the subway.

Agree completely with this.

Says the person with Super 8 and Enders Game on a best films list.

Super 8 was the best kids film imo that wasn't animation

and i enjoyed enders game a lot, people who had read the book/knew a lot about it didn't. I went in with no expectations.

Also it's hard to compile a list of 'best movies', i've seen so many over the past 5 years. i'd have to go through all my movies

Btw Nictarion just because you loved 'the master' doesn't mean other people did. Thats the only one on people's list that i cannot understand the love for. The film was incredibly boring, couldn't understand anything and i speak english. Pretty much lost interest within the first 30 minutes kept microsleeping, managed to make it through but there was absolutely nothing in the film.

Actually, quite a few of those already have been mentioned. Multiple times.

Prisoner's isn't a bad film, but it's by no means great and doesn't belong on a list of the greatest films of the half-decade. It's a solid watch but it never really excels.

Inglorious Basterds is a pretty good film, but it's also 2009.

Actually Prisoners makes it into the top 250 on IMDB. thats pretty good status for a film that 'doesn't belong on a list of the greatest films of the half-decade' considering how many films are on that list from the last half'decade.

But i agree, its not my favourite movie, but it is good. we are not looking for the greatest movie.

I am aware inglorious bastards was 2009, i thought i'd sneak it in though :devil:

True Grit

Into the Abyss

The Avengers

Lincoln

The Cabin in the Woods

Moonrise Kingdom

Dredd

Silver Linings Playbook

The Act of Killing

The Master

12 Years a Slave

Inside Llewyn Davis

Nebraska

Under the Skin

The Wolf of Wall Street

Guardians of the Galaxy

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The Grand Budapest Hotel

It had to be mentioned, tbh!

Out of the Furnace and Only God Forgives belong in the same category of missing out on high potential.

On a side note, if you watch OGF in fast forward, it actually becomes a good movie short. It makes it so someone staring at their hands for 2 minutes only seems like they are checking their watch for the time.

The Dark Knight Rises was forgettable. I don't care if I never see it again. Polar opposite reaction to the first two films in the trilogy. I agree it has no place in a list of best films of the past five years.

I'm working on my own list still. But this thread is certainly making me think about all the films I have missed. Definitely going to watch more films than rubbish TV this year.

Obvious statement is obvious. :rolleyes:

For anyone interested, this is a really good analysis (IMHO) of The Master. The reviewer caught a lot about the film that I had missed.

okay well first you quote me for mentioning the master like i knew you would. and then secondly you don't tell why *you* think its good. The Master is for film snobs, if you liked it good for you. I wouldn't waste 3 hours of my life on it again.

This is the same list that rates The Dark Knight Rises above Citizen Kane?

Again, I'm not suggesting that it's a bad film, I enjoyed watching it certainly. I just don't think it's in the same category as the other films being mentioned.

I think its just as good as Silver Linings Playbook and Nebraska. Seriously i don't know why you picked on that one film in my list when there are way worse rated ones on there.

I've seen Prisoners, I wouldn't dream of commenting on the quality of films I haven't seen. They aren't books, after all.

Commenting on critical reviews is all well and good, but I guess I just wasn't motivated enough to do the research so I could debunk your other listings.

Yeh its different when you have read a book, almost always, its better when you don't. No worries

Nicely said. Not only that, but I think that what we go through this movie in terms of asking ourselves "WTF is wrong with society that allows this on daily basis" is one of fundamental messages of this movie. We are supposed to enjoy all the debaucheries and at the end ask about justice... The movie wonderfully took us on that journey, where we laughed and enjoyed certain lifestyle, but then taught us that some lines exist and that what we enjoyed for entire movie ultimately is wrong. And even funnier, we feel betrayed that Belfort didn't suffer, because that is what is supposed to be done, but he didn't. All in all, a lot of complaints stem from "if I were there, I would end up in jail" thinking.

Archived