"A Year Ago I was Scheming to Make The Girl Robert's QUEEN"

DigUpHerBones

One sentence in one conversation between Renly and Stannis.

Stannis claims that Renly's marriage to Margaery Tyrell is a farce, for obvious reasons.

He then goes on to claim that Renly was working behind the scenes to introduce Robert to Margery to, "make the girl one of Roberts whores"

Really then drops the line that he was, "scheming" to make her Robert's "Queen".

HUH?!?!

No way could Renly be up to this on his own, he was bright and cunning, but not this bright and cunning.

How would this have even worked?

At the time, House Lannister was at the peak of their power, no way would have Cers been, disposed I guess is the word, in favor of Margery, unless Robert was widowed...

I think it’s pretty fair to say he would be widowed if he found out about the Twincest.

It make Marg more like Jane Seymour than Anne Boleyn. I think this is more proof that the Tyrells know about Joffery/Tommen’s true parentage already, and they don’t care and/or are keeping it in their back pocket.

LF had the same idea, I think:

“Now look at the other side of the coin. Joffrey is but twelve, and Robert gave you the regency, my lord. You are the Hand of the King and Protector of the Realm. The power is yours, Lord Stark. All you need do is reach out and take it. Make your peace with the Lannisters. Release the Imp. Wed Joffrey to your Sansa. Wed your younger girl to Prince Tommen, and your heir to Myrcella. It will be four years before Joffrey comes of age. By then he will look to you as a second father, and if not, well … four years is a good long while, my lord. Long enough to dispose of Lord Stannis. Then, should Joffrey prove troublesome, we can reveal his little secret and put Lord Renly on the throne.”

Well Renly never seemed to buy into the incest accusations when Stannis made them. So I can't think he was scheming to marry Maergary to Robert in anticipation of the fallout. I think his motive was as simple as wanting an excuse to have Loras around court regularly.

I think it’s pretty fair to say he would be widowed if he found out about the Twincest.

It make Marg more like Jane Seymour than Anne Boleyn. I think this is more proof that the Tyrells know about Joffery/Tommen’s true parentage already, and they don’t care and/or are keeping it in their back pocket.

LF had the same idea, I think:

I'm not so sure. I don't think Renly and the Tyrells knew about the twincest, or they would have acted sooner in that regard. Renly was banking on Margaery's supposed likeness to Lyanna and hoping that it would be enough for Robert to send Cersei packing

The sad part is that Renly's and Stannis' plans complemented each other and would have worked if they had worked together

Well Renly never seemed to buy into the incest accusations when Stannis made them. So I can't think he was scheming to marry Maergary to Robert in anticipation of the fallout. I think his motive was as simple as wanting an excuse to have Loras around court regularly.

that is how i remember the conversation ending at well...

but Renly was, i assume, in between his duties at Storm's End and Highgarden...

Renly was not in KL, so his access to Loras would have been the same, regardless who was queen...

Renly would NEVER of had the support to run at this with the support he had, especially when these plans were made as Robert was still living.

Remember, this was A YEAR before the events of SoS and Robert's death.

that is how i remember the conversation ending at well...

but Renly was, i assume, in between his duties at Storm's End and Highgarden...

Renly was not in KL, so his access to Loras would have been the same, regardless who was queen...

Renly would NEVER of had the support to run at this with the support he had, especially when these plans were made as Robert was still living.

Remember, this was A YEAR before the events of SoS and Robert's death.

Renly was on the small council as Master of laws. So he was in KL regularly.

Renly was on the small council as Master of laws. So he was in KL regularly.

the point being, whoever was Queen whether it Margery or Cers, would not have affected their access to one another...

they seemed very happy as things were, Loras and Renly, why risk that big of a change just for some ass?

Renly puts Margaery to the Red Keep, Loras accompanies Margaery, so Renly and Loras can be together in King's Landing.

and Robert would be cool with this?

his little brother dictating where his wife lays her head???

doubtful...

Renly would not "put" Margery anywhere while Robert was in charge, let alone married to the girl.

Cersei seems to believe that she can be set aside:

“He betrayed one already, or have you forgotten?” the woman said. “Oh, I don’t deny he’s loyal to Robert, that’s obvious. What happens when Robert dies and Joff takes the throne? And the sooner that comes to pass, the safer we’ll all be. My husband grows more restless every day. Having Stark beside him will only make him worse. He’s still in love with the sister, the insipid little dead sixteen-year-old. How long till he decides to put me aside for some new Lyanna?” - AGoT p. 83

I suppose both Renly and Robert (and even Stannis and everyone with a brain) realised the dangers of the Lannisters taking control eventually. With Robert dead (for whatever reason), the Realm would fall in hands of Tywin Lannister again.

There is no evidence that Renly was not smart. Maybe a bit shallow but he wanted to be a political player, or at least wanted to be involved. There is also a chance that he realised Cersei wanted him gone, or intended him to be gone after Robert's eventual death.

The Tyrells, otoh, are a bit savvier. I'm sure they knew that there was something odd about the children being all gold. Doran says he has spies in KL, why wouldn't the Tyrells have the same? Maybe Renly was the unintentional spy. And maybe they convinced him to tempt Robert with Margaery and later try to implicate Cersei in something. Considering how reckless C and J can be, who knows if some of them actually saw something.

He hoped that Robert would see Margerey, think she looks a lot like Lyanna, bed her and then have the Tyrells get all angry and force Robert to either offend them or Lannisters, and considering Robert dosen't like most of the Lannisters that much, it wasn't that much of a strech to believe Robert would have chosen with his dick and would choose Marg.

Can't quote right now, but yes, Renly and Loras plotted to bring Margaery to court and have her replace Cersei, Varys says so to Illyrio when Arya hears them.

you cannot just, "replace" a wife, let alone Queen in the Seven Kingdoms without facing serious repercussions...

House Lannister was at their peak a year before SoS, you think Lord Tywin would just be ok with his daughter being disposed?

Robert's best trait was he brought peace to the Kingdom, disposing Cers would have lead to a Civil War and he would have lost the support of the Faith (you cannot divorce in Westeros, either you drop the 7 or your spouse dies) as well as the people.

why would Robert agree to ANY of this???

he would have faced less repercussions if he just f*cked Margery on the side...

IIRC it takes two to tango

Only such an excuse would've been completely unnecessary, Renly wasn't a teenage boy clandestinely fucking his married twin sister.

Like Robert, Renly was fully aware that King Joffrey would be bad news for a lot of people, Renly included. And, unlike Robert, he attempted to fix that before it was too late.

Archived