Association Football XXXIV - playing with the wrong shaped ball

Hereward

So the FA have (yet) another new plan to foster the future of the England team by restricting all those deuced foreigners who clog up the first teams of the big clubs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32024808

Tighter definitions on 'home-grown' players, stricter work permit regulations for non-EU players, etc. You know the drill, you can all see the gaps. Lots of talk about Harry Kane and what a stroke of luck that good old Tim got to manage Tottenham or he'd still be out on loan, etc.

What I want is for someone, some journalist, somewhere, when fed a line like:

We don't want to stop the outstanding talent coming here, but there are an awful lot of bog-standard players as well.

To say: 'oh, I agree completely. Care to give us some examples?'

You know that Dyke would never in a hundred years have the brass to actually mention anyone by name. But it would be funny.

Also, for someone to challenge this tired line.

Just three English players were in the Manchester City line-up across the two legs of their recent Champions League loss to Barcelona.

While this is true, how many of those guys do not hold an EU passport?

so wednesday mls and minnesota united fc owner have a pretty big announcement.

clearly they will be saying minnesota is coming to mls next year.

not sure how i feel about adding another team (and likely one more to keep the numbers even) so quickly after bringing orlando and nycfc to the league. the fear is obviously a watering down of the talent pool.

I like Euro League :dunno:

I don't really like it, but I prefer it to no games on a Thursday night.

Liverpool should embrace such an obligation and seize the opportunity that is qualifying for Champions' League through Europa League if no other opportunity presents itself.

Trying to avoid Europa League is as unsportsmanlike as I can think of.

It's like taking off silver medal right after being awarded one because you wanted to win gold.

Just plain wrong.

It's quite clear from the video that he shortens his stride just before making contact. If he wanted to avoid de Gea he could quite easily have jumped over him.

ETA: The fact is, the referee would have issued a red card had he seen it. That is enough to get him the ban.

I think Skrtel should have been sent off.

What I found more amusing was the Balotelli situation, where the Liverpool fans actually saved him from probably doing something silly and getting sent off too (although I do admit it's complete speculation what he would have done, but he was obviously close to it having grabbed Smalling's leg).

With Phil Jones possibly also close to being sent off, we could have had a 10 vs 8 match...

It's quite clear from the video that he shortens his stride just before making contact. If he wanted to avoid de Gea he could quite easily have jumped over him.

Liverpool fan bias aside, but had Skrtel not shortened his stride he would 've stomped right on De Gea's face.

Plus, bear in mind that De Gea was sliding in as well.

Going after the ban is legitimate, but I don't think the cae arguing the ban would be as solid as it seems.

Archived