[BOOK SPOILERS] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

teemo

:wideeyed:

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11431540

"Christie can't say much about what season five brings, though her next combat challenge seems to involve Sandor's big brother, Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane."

Oh dear lord. As bad was the description of Brienne as a badass. The character was so much better than a stereotype.

Edit: In all fairness she may fight Gregor in the books at some point, but it seems more likely that Jaime and Stoneheart are going to feature more in her storyline.

What a fucking joke. The people over at WiC seem to think Brienne might incorporate the Hound...

"If true, this could mess with the popular CleganeBowl fan theory, which holds that Sandor Clegane (The Hound) survived his fight with Brienne (or his crippling battle with an infected wound, in the books) and will eventually go head to head with his brother in a fight to the death. The notion of Brienne fighting the Mountain doesn’t necessarily eliminate this possibility, but would suggest that Brienne is being maneuvered into the Hound’s place. Unfortunately, that implies that the Hound in fact did not survive his epic duel with the Maid of Tarth at the end of Season 4, and that Rory McCann won’t be returning to Game of Thrones. Cleganebowl…so, get un-hype."

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/04/13/brienne-will-fight-major-spoiler-this-year-according-to-new-zealand-herald/

Are D&D even aware at this point what they are writing is complete shit or do they truly think they are writing gold, grade A* standard material?

They are smelling their own farts, and what's worse, they think it smells of roses.

Are D&D even aware at this point what they are writing is complete shit or do they truly think they are writing gold, grade A* standard material?

D.B. Weiss: "I think that everything starts to go to hell when you start smelling your own farts and complimenting yourself on how great they smell. We’re not going to turn into fart-smellers."

What a fucking joke. The people over at WiC seem to think Brienne might incorporate the Hound...

"If true, this could mess with the popular CleganeBowl fan theory, which holds that Sandor Clegane (The Hound) survived his fight with Brienne (or his crippling battle with an infected wound, in the books) and will eventually go head to head with his brother in a fight to the death. The notion of Brienne fighting the Mountain doesn’t necessarily eliminate this possibility, but would suggest that Brienne is being maneuvered into the Hound’s place. Unfortunately, that implies that the Hound in fact did not survive his epic duel with the Maid of Tarth at the end of Season 4, and that Rory McCann won’t be returning to Game of Thrones. Cleganebowl…so, get un-hype."

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/04/13/brienne-will-fight-major-spoiler-this-year-according-to-new-zealand-herald/

Watchersonthewall.com is a much better site. It features all the old writers from WiC.net and most of its commentariat. WiC has been taken over by soulless corporate hacks.

Oh dear lord. As bad was the description of Brienne as a badass. The character was so much better than a stereotype.

Edit: In all fairness she may fight Gregor in the books at some point, but it seems more likely that Jaime and Stoneheart are going to feature more in her storyline.

No, Badass Brienne is a much better character! BB kills/bullies/harasses everyone and their dog! Whereas her book version is so boooooooring, all that travelling, septon Meribald, Nimble Dick, it's all too boring!

:bang: :bang: :bang:

:wideeyed:

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11431540

"Christie can't say much about what season five brings, though her next combat challenge seems to involve Sandor's big brother, Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane."

Mmmmm. Happy as I am to criticise D&D, I'll hold off on this for now. Since the article basically says it as though its fact and then swiftly moves on without trying to back that point up at all.

No, Badass Brienne is a much better character! BB kills/bullies/harasses everyone and their dog! Whereas her book version is so boooooooring, all that travelling, septon Meribald, Nimble Dick, it's all too boring!

:bang: :bang: :bang:

The book version she had somekind of porpoise. Here she is all like Brengun the Shadowslayer. Stannis gimme your Shadow. BTW where is Sansa? Who could be queen of tha North, Winterfell her home, although not an oath she wanted to keep. Pod it must be time for Shadowpowerrrr....

Is she now Brasha? Lightfinger/Manderley this becoming really confusing nothing like a good northern wedding to sort it all out

Mmmmm. Happy as I am to criticise D&D, I'll hold off on this for now. Since the article basically says it as though its fact and then swiftly moves on without trying to back that point up at all.

I know, and I agree. It's just that, at this point, there's nothing I would put past them. And that's sad, really, but very true.

They are smelling their own farts, and what's worse, they think it smells of roses.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the article. I've been searching the net for an article where Rory McCann specifically states he will not be returning to GoT, and haven't found one yet (that is reliable).

I see this particular article being nothing more than clickbait.

Watchersonthewall.com is a much better site. It features all the old writers from WiC.net and most of its commentariat. WiC has been taken over by soulless corporate hacks.

True about WoTW. WiC is owned by Fansided who own about 300 sites. They aren't as focused on GoT news as other sites. It became blatently obvious when I went to take a look at my favourite recap...the twitter recap...and just shook my head at the difference from last year.

I'm glad you mentioned this because it's such a perfect illustration of how they could have improved their portrayal of show!Loras.

Omar was an absolutely amazing character in The Wire (even if all of the enhancements they added to his character are very cliche - chain smoker, gay, laser-like focus for revenge over the brutal slaying of the love of his life, etc.). Some elements show!Loras could've been shown to possess, but is not because D&D couldn't be bothered

Indeed he was. Yeah, maybe a little cliché, but he was the underdog everyone rooted for (and IIRC he did go on various revenge sprees throughout the seasons) and at the time on TV a gay BAMF was actually something quite novel, most portrayals of gay characters sticking to the D&D formula.

When you see 129 pages of criticism, compared to the 5 pages of praise on the Positive Nitpicking thread; you know you're in the right place. :P

Could somedy please point this out to King Tommen?

I find the implication that no reasonable person could possibly find things to criticize about the show (thus making us FoxNews-like) mildly offensive, as though the only criticisms that can possibly be leveled against the show are hyperbolic and prejudiced (meanwhile, plenty of show defenders are perfectly happy to discuss how shitty the books on which the show is based are and do so in multiple varied threads any time.)

And this is hardly an echo chamber, which anyone who read the thread would realize, because there is quite a multiplicity of opinion within the thread (some people loved Meereen, others hate it, some love Brienne's Riverlands journey, others don't) etc. In fact, the only thing we all apparently agree on is that Game of Thrones is increasingly becoming a less and less well-done adaptation of "A Song of Ice and Fire." It's also unsurprising that this forum - begun by book readers and populated by book readers - kind of ... likes the books!

And for the record, I actually loved the first three seasons of the show - there were certain things I didn't love, but I didn't mind a lot of their changes and found some of the interpolated material terrific (I had, for example, no problem with the way the show replaced Edric Storm with Gendry!) but as of season 4, I feel like the show has become less and less true to the characters I fell in love with even if it hits the big plot points. And to me, that doesn't make it a good adaptation.

100% with you. Season 1 was great. They started messing up in season 2, kinda missed the point with season 3, and season 4... (Tyrion retching sounds) ... season 4 climaxed with the conspicuous absence of the 'Yes, I killed your vile son!' line...

Always weird when people come in here with nothing to rant/complain about just to talk shit about the people who are ranting/complaining but it happens every season.

You see, that's how democratic we are. 'Please, sir, do feel free to rant against our ranting.'

We're not just contained here.

[bOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa XII - New direction -> Mostly are not quite content with her future plot. Because it's terrible.

[bOOK SPOILERS] The Portrayal of Loras -> mostly are disgusted by how he has been portrayed in the last chapter, as his sexuality has become a joke.

[book Spoilers] On a certain scene between Cersei and Jaime that Doesn't Make Sense -> Don't need to explain.

The Iron Isles and the Riverlands (book spoilers) -> Question what many have also questioned. Where the f are the II and the R?

The word 'country' - silly detail bother. -> No need to explain.

[book Spoilers] Jaime in Dorn -> Few are happy with this.

Spoilers: For the Watch -> We got it. Olly will stab Jon.

The show messed up the Maggy the Frog Scene -> No need to explain.

Discussing Dorne I: Birthmark edition [book spoilers] -> Ditto.

[bOOK SPOILERS] Varys retconned or not -> Ditto again.

So, while this thread is about simply ranting and rage, it's definitely not the only one. Many details of the show make so little sense that is very easy to nitpick them.

:cheers:

That's why all the familiar names are gone from WiC! Thanks.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the article. I've been searching the net for an article where Rory McCann specifically states he will not be returning to GoT, and haven't found one yet (that is reliable).

I see this particular article being nothing more than clickbait.

True about WoTW. WiC is owned by Fansided who own about 300 sites. They aren't as focused on GoT news as other sites. It became blatently obvious when I went to take a look at my favourite recap...the twitter recap...and just shook my head at the difference from last year.

I don't. As I said to HelenaExMachina, it's that at this point I don't put anything past D&D. :(

I think the actors are very good as well. There are some miscasts, but they're definitely not what is making the show bad. I can't think of a scene that was ruined by the actor alone, it always has to do with the writing. And please, let's not say Lena Headey is a bad Cersei: just remember her Blackwater scenes. She would rock as Cersei. The problem is that she is playing Carol.

I agree, the cast is quite good, in general, the most obvious miscast being Mance. The writing is often on a par with True Blood.

Again, I have a major crush on Carol. Should I see a psychoanalyst?

Again, I have a major crush on Carol. Should I see a psychoanalyst?

The queue is back thar with the rest of KL. moonboy, lancel, kettleback, pycelle, qyburn, ser pounce, adding to that list you'll probably come up shorter then jamie's redemption analytically speaking

Preach I wish I could stop watching but if I do I'll just get spoiled 3 months down the line by some nob on YouTube so I'm stuck watching the most overrated tv show that's ever existed with my friends all thinking I'm insane for not liking it waiting for it to go from plot point to plot point with ever decreasing sense until the end were I find out grrms ending without the build up sigh book snob and proud now.

(massive wave of empathy)

Better Call Saul has been top-notch the entire time. They've managed to make it feasible that it was planned when they made the Breaking Bad pilot. It's more of a character study than BB, but the effort and attention to detail is exquisite.

It's (by design) a bit slower-paced than BB because it focuses on the backstories of major characters from a show that we've already seen in it's 6 season entirety. Kind of EXACTLY what's lacking in GoT these days..

100% with you. It actually managed to surprise me. I was wasn't expecting much more than a few easy-laughs and a massive dose of Breaking Bad nostalgia.

Some random ideas:

Chef Ramsay

Reek Diggler

Stannister

Others' concoctions I love:

Carol

Larry

Batfinger

Ann

More to follow asap...

Reek Diggler does Winterfell (sorry, that was pretty cheesy, but I couldn't resist it, there's a cheesy bone in me)

Do we have a name for show!Westeros yet? The only thing I could think of was... Worst-eros?

Wasteros, I suggest.

Carol Lannister, Larry Lannister the Plotslayer, Ann, Batfinger, Saint Tyronne, Marxys... need a suitable nickname for evil!Lancel too and for Daenerys and Jon.

Love 'the Plotslayer' :bowdown:

All right, I'm going to rant and nitpick about something we won't see until the end of this series, but I don't care.

Because everyone was talking about how Olly will take part in the Ides, and I was the only one who didn't see it coming, I decided to re-watch The Wars to Come and... I don't know how I missed it, but it's there. Unless of course it's just the usual lack of/poor direction, but most likely it's not.

So... what the fucking fuck? Not only we don't get Satin, but Jon's steward will participate in the assassination attempt and that is just so completely wrong, so off the rail of his arc...

Yeah, I know a lot of people think Satin was involved, but I never really bought that.

People actually think that, really? John was sorta like the only one who showed him any degree of kindness and even, like, made him steward to the LC and shit. Sam, on the other hand, I never really trusted him...

I don't agree. She used to say I am no queen. I am a khaleesi. She changed because she is now a queen. So maybe Not!Khaleesi is more appropriate?

Yo Dany:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcaUer4fuU8

I always hoped Jon's stabbing would be kinda similar to the scene from The Village. That was haunting, eerie and atmospheric. But when was GoT ever subtle like that?

Hey, I'm one of the few people to have actually liked that movie. Nice to meet you.

Rave and Rant thread 132 pages, Positive Nitpicking 5 pages.

It really seems the issues with the show are becoming more prolific this year.

Take that Tommen, you brat!

Archived