[BOOK SPOILERS] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

teemo

But, then, how do you explain all those reviews in major publications that were so gushing that they may as well have ejaculate all over them?

Like, I’m not being a jerk right now, I’m legitimately trying to understand what people see in this show that I don’t.

The sass!

But, then, how do you explain all those reviews in major publications that were so gushing that they may as well have ejaculate all over them?

Like, I’m not being a jerk right now, I’m legitimately trying to understand what people see in this show that I don’t.

Compare it to most of the rest of what is on TV as your starting point. Then throw in the crazy level of ambition re: the multiple stories, number of characters+the stunning sets and costumes+the music. And, with a few exceptions, the acting is also tremendous.

This is why, in my opinion, it's flaws are overlooked [for now]. You can't tell me that reviewers didn't notice that Show Cersei has had 4 children, 1 with Bob and that this is a glaring inconsistency and evidence of sloppy writing...but they let it slide for all the other reasons.

Jaime still desperately pining after Cersei doesn't really reflect where he is at mentally in the books at this point...not sure why they are dragging out his turning against her. It's getting annoying. I want introspective Jaime who questions everything about his relationship with Cersei!

Maggy was too good looking, didn't like that.

The way LF just left Sweetrobin in the care of Lord Royce was just stupid. The more nuanced politics of the books are coloring my opinion about this obviously, I doubt and show only people really gave it a 2nd thought. But still, it made me roll my eyes.

I do get the show tones down on the super ugly people, but LAWDY.....would it kill them to give Young Cersei a witch that actually was a bit old and horrible looking?

I have serious ranting and raving eventually, but....I'm in too good a mood right now, LOL

My take-aways from the show:

I won't belabor the slow start, being a WD fan, so I get the "slow build-up" in terms of character development and placement that has to be done to set the tone, but in terms of the Book purists vs. the fans who will likely never read the books, I think if the readers had a problem with the "traffic jam" that occurred in Feast, with no real movement of the characters, I think the watchers will, and this could be the danger area in terms of momentum.

We will always stick with it because we love the books, but casual watchers, I don't know.....

In this, I have to say I like the books better than the show, whereas with Walking Dead, I like the show better than the comics, just my opinion.

The continued parallels between the Lannisters and the Tyrells:

I've felt that while Marg ultimately won't be the younger, more beautiful one who brings her down, I do think she is her "payback," and I continue to be struck by the similarly "unusual" relationship between Marg and Loras. While not incestuous, it still seems a bit too close for comfort as I would not be in my naked brothers bedroom with his lover whether he was gay or straight, which makes me think of the Renly episode.

It does make me wonder about their escapades, and a page from history, I wonder if accusations of infideltiy with her own brother, (very much like the Anne and George Boleyn accusations), won't come into play.

(And I don't say that because the actress played Anne Boleyn, but because I have always noticed the parallels between the Tyrells and the Boleyns).

The Unsullied:

One of the most heart breaking factors of the death of the unsullied in the brothel was the fact that they went there to be held, so I don't understand why they would have left that out, unless they plan to address it later.

Misc:

- Was surprised that Maggie the Frog was actually attractive.

- Young Cersei was unremakable, and makes me think her oft touted beauty is on behalf of the Lannisters.

- I understand why Rhaegar might have immediately seen her for what she was, because even then, she didn't hide crazy well.

I do get the show tones down on the super ugly people, but LAWDY.....would it kill them to give Young Cersei a witch that actually was a bit old and horrible looking?

I have serious ranting and raving eventually, but....I'm in too good a mood right now, LOL

I didn't mind the look of her, but the prophecy scene to me lacked any real menace or gravitas. Who cares? There is no reason, if this is the extent of the flashback, why Cersei would care about it.

In the book, Melara's death is foretold, and she dies almost immediately, so the truth of the vision is confirmred. Cersei is also doubly traumatized because she feels betrayed by Melara and then feels guilty over killing her. All of this together is what causes it to take hold of her mind, and of course also valonqar.

Without all of that, it's just a fortune teller who tells Tywin's daughter she will be queen and then somebody else will be queen, the 3 children with golden shrouds, it would never become an obsession for Show Cersei.

I understand that. But i also feel like part of it is Clarke's fault. Shes never really been much for quieter scenes. Even her fear of the dragons looked really forced. And i really didnt interpret Missandei's question the same way you did. It looked like she was genuinely curious as to why dudes without nards would be in brothels at all. Its an honest question.

D&D know how to. But they dont want to. Tropes sell more. Its infuriating, but the sad truth.

I feel like what with how things have been going with the site runners financially, there isnt much in the way of excuse to faulty servers.

LOL and as I recall and did happen to mention during the epi, yeah, in the books Grey Worm did know why an Unsullied would go to a brothel. I agree the show was portraying that same type of question from Missy instead.......so, why not let Grey Worm give the answer, he's not allowed to tell Missy one of them might want a hug, for frak's sake?

And HI FLO!! Great to see you and gotta agree on not seeing why it is so difficult to get the board to cooperate a bit more, eh?

I would say the burden of proof is on you to explain why so much consensus in those reviews.

Absolutely. And I think they have casted an actress who would look like young Mirri Maz Duur.

As for my rant, I can only say the following:

- every single character in this episode has nothing to do with the books. Even dead Tywin does not smell. So, even dead characters' arcs are being altered. This is not a question of not following the books anymore. It is officially a fan fiction now. I have been saying this for season and a half, so I am not at all surprised.

- the level of nudity is unjustified, predictable and, frankly, boring. They are taking too much screen time.

- the stereotypes are too many with a gay stereotype Loras being offensive

- why does Cersei have to be carrying a glass of wine in every scene? Can there be any more obvious way of showing she has been sinking into alcoholism.

Finally, it is increasingly hard to discuss the show for we have no idea where that beast is heading and even if that is indeed GRRM's direction. I don't know what that man signed with D&D, but I'm sure that, when he did it, he didn't have this in mind. I am also officially afraid that with an abomination like this on TV screens, pressure from the publisher and fans, George may not be able to finish his series. And if that happens, that would be a cataclysmic literarly disaster in which show takes over and kills the books.

I have to agree, I am very disappointed that Tywin's corpse neither smiled nor smelt, ahhhhhhhhhhh. And that's even before I get into the stupid two person convo between Jaime and Cersei over it, I'd have much rather had a bit of Jaime's monologue with Dead Daddy.

I just watched the small council scene to confirm, and yes Varys makes a comment about if Daenerys has a son the realm will bleed. It was his info from Jorah that got Robert all riled up about killing her too. Something tells me that will never be addressed. :dunno:

My bigger question is............was Varys ever mentioned to have worked for The Mad King? He seemed to present his story to Tyrion that he was just chillin across The Narrow Sea and decided that Bobby B was King Awful (not that it was the Lannisters behind him, ha) and should work for a Targ restoration. I'm wondering if the other seasons don't agree with this, I'm checking Jaime in the tub, to see if Varys is mentioned working for Aerys, and Aerys' paranoia, LOL

It's strange that everyone in Westeros seems to know about Roose's betrayal, but I figure it's worth letting that slide if it's the only way to remind the audience that he did it.

But, it looks like Stannis forgot that he wished Robb Stark dead via the leeches.

Compare it to most of the rest of what is on TV as your starting point. Then throw in the crazy level of ambition re: the multiple stories, number of characters+the stunning sets and costumes+the music. And, with a few exceptions, the acting is also tremendous.

This is why, in my opinion, it's flaws are overlooked [for now]. You can't tell me that reviewers didn't notice that Show Cersei has had 4 children, 1 with Bob and that this is a glaring inconsistency and evidence of sloppy writing...but they let it slide for all the other reasons.

If this flub were the only issue I had with the show, I would be more than happy to let it slide. Hell, I leave The George alone about Jeyne’s hips and Tyrion’s jet pack trip from Winterfell to the cross roads. But it’s just a symptom of a much bigger problem. They get all the credit for The George’s good writing and none of the blame for their own sloppiness. At least as far as the critics are concerned.

I thought this was the best episode of GoT in quite some time. Sure, there were some odd choices, like Loras indeed being a stereotype, but that's water under the bridge by now. They ruined his character back in season three, so I know see him as someone else entirely. Within that context I thought his scene wasn't that terrible, on the contrary it was quite okay.

EDIT: One thing that definitively counts as a nitpick: The eye stones. They are just so shoddy and ugly.

It is a shame, I think I'd given up on the Loras storyline so long ago that, I, too, have a hard time getting too upset about it, even with it annoying me. But, I will never rule out the chance that this show will get me worked up enough about Loras's destruction before all is said and done. I did write off having a decent Loras a long time ago, sad to say.

As far as Tywin's eye stones, my main nitpick is that they seemed placed much too close together, BUT......were almost the right shade. All in all, that made it almost laughable. :laugh:

.so, why not let Grey Worm give the answer, he's not allowed to tell Missy one of them might want a hug, for frak's sake?

I believe he did not tell her because he wanted to protect the intimacy of his and his soldiers. Maybe because they're ashamed of it. Maybe because it would look like a weakness. Or just because he has feelings for Missandei and did not want her to know he know whats going on in the brothels.

I think complaining about the attractiveness of Maggy goes into the way too nit picky area. First of all she's not that attractive, just not hideous looking as she's described in the books. Secondly who cares, it changes nothing about the plot.

You’re right, it is a nitpick. But it’s a symptom of a much bigger problem.

And dude, she’s an extremely attractive woman with slightly smudged eyeliner. Give her a bath a some decent clothes and she will turn heads.

I honestly do think a lot of the reviews are about........jumping on the bandwagon and enjoying the show scene by scene for good acting from most, pretty pictures, and bad ass dragons. I do think it is mostly about......the industry supporting itself, and this seems to be the year to do it?

I can't wait to see the Sand Snakes. One of both will happen: we will have a unnecessary over the top sex scene to present them to us OR we will have a unnecessary over the top "attitude scene" to show us just how badass they are. I bet Obara's first scene will be killing someone instead of talking stubbornly and defiantly with Doran. And TBH this makes a lot a difference for me.

I didn't mind the look of her, but the prophecy scene to me lacked any real menace or gravitas. Who cares? There is no reason, if this is the extent of the flashback, why Cersei would care about it.

In the book, Melara's death is foretold, and she dies almost immediately, so the truth of the vision is confirmred. Cersei is also doubly traumatized because she feels betrayed by Melara and then feels guilty over killing her. All of this together is what causes it to take hold of her mind, and of course also valonqar.

Without all of that, it's just a fortune teller who tells Tywin's daughter she will be queen and then somebody else will be queen, the 3 children with golden shrouds, it would never become an obsession for Show Cersei.

As great as that young actress pegged Lena as Cersei, I think the reason that Maggy's appearance slightly annoyed me (although, didn't really anger me in and of itself) is that I am getting a bit too tired of the BORED Ice Queen Cersei, LOL That may be why it bugged me, I want something to TOUCH that Ice Queen, even if it's her younger version. :devil:

I do agree on the prophecy not being all that, yet, showverse, especially lacking the valanquar and lacking Melara's death (give us one of them at least), but part of me wonders if we will get a furthering of this prophecy as we did in the books. But, a bigger part of me is sure that D&D won't bother, so we'll see.

As mentioned above, it's the fact I'm getting annoyed at ICE CERSEI a bit much and that is one reason I wanted Maggy the Frog to terrify her and snap her the EFF out of her bored routine.

The big takeaway from Maggy the Frog in the books was not that she was hideous, but that her prophecy has already proven half true and is the big set up for the rest of Cersei's story.

It's really the least of my gripes from this episode.

If anything, I would nitpick that a "witch" had to have the stereotypical ugliness and "boils" of tradition in the literature.

Archived