[BOOK SPOILERS] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

teemo

I really like the way the showrunners have now decided to cut to the chase. Meereenese Knot? Clearly, D&D have taken their cue from what happened to the Gordian Knot of mythology, and have decided to grab a sword and slash their way through a lot of the convoluted slow moving mess in AFFC/ADWD. Yes, those books have a lot of fascinating detail and intricate plotlines which (some!) readers can appreciate and linger over, but they don't translate easily or well to the screen. Radical surgery was called for, and I think the show has been given a new lease of life. I am looking forward to the rest of the season.

This I agree with. The knot had to be dealt with swiftly. Condensing the plot is more than welcome...

But what is not welcome is the changes done to a LOT of the characters. Their motivations, their loyalties, their very being was drastically altered compared to the books, and certainly NOT for the better.

I can't recognize this violent creature that Brienne is, killing left and right, Cersei the martyr, Tyrion the Goody two shoes, Littlefinger the ever-changing cocktail, Varys the not so consistent Targ supporter and so on, and so on...

It just doesn't work for me personally.

The Maggy flashback was almost pointless. Yeah, we know she's afraid her children will die, they left out too much. Also, Cersei killing Melara. And the hot chick with cleavage instead of "Maggy is squat and warty, with crusty yellow eyes, no teeth, and pale green jowls" which would have been more exciting to see.

The Loras scene. More cheap sex at the expense of a character instead of substance.

Miss/Grey Worm. What a waste of filming time, and it didn't even result in a solid point. Dany, Queen of the universe, getting advice from naked Daario, as if she's a total moron, and then not taking control with the dragons. I fear this will be a set up for Tyrion saving the day somehow with the dragons instead of Dany being strong.

Bitchy Sansa. And Sansa passing By Brienne and Pod in the carriage. Although I could watch Robin flail around with a sword for hours.

In fact, an hour of watching Tyrion drink and vomit repeatedly might have made a better episode.

No stinky Tywin corpse, no mention of Varys gone from K, changing Varys' backstory. No Illyrio warmly welcoming Tyrion and offering him comfort AND Casterly Rock.

Kit did really well, but I couldn't get past the butchery of the book-canon at the Wall. No chance for a Mance revival now (this will probably be one of the things GRRM said might be a problem in the future). No Mance baby. No Val. No threat of Mel burning Mance's baby being the reason Sam and Gilly leave the Wall. What a mess.

And Davos has been reduced to saying "this is your KING, boy" in every scene he's in.

A total crap episode. I hope Arya's HoBaW scenes next episode will be spectacular.

Even in the bedroom scene? I really couldn't get past how weird and fake it looked there, but I don't normally have a problem with it. (Her season 3 wig is still the best though.)

she was gorgeous in the bedroom. I think the problem isn't the wig but emilia's natural black eyebrows, which kind of kill the illusion as they aren't blond

Even in the bedroom scene? I really couldn't get past how weird and fake it looked there, but I don't normally have a problem with it. (Her season 3 wig is still the best though.)

It didn't look bad to me - like bedhead. Her season 3 wigs were very good, probably the best but these are pretty good too, imho.

All information is conveyed immediately in the GoT universe. The man knew Tywin was dead. I mean, in aFfC it took at least two weeks for news of Tywin’s death to reach Dorne. They’re only just learning actual details about Dany in Meereen. Information takes a long time to travel, they don’t have tumblr, for fuck’s sake.

They dropped Lil’ Lord Robert like a hot potato.

But they didn’t drop Olly, or MessWorm, or Loras and Olyvar’s, like, actual romance....

I use to be concerned about this, but they have such a skrewed vision of what’s “important” int he story that I’m no longer worried at all. Don’t let the show poison your experience of the books, that’s my advice.

Yeah, Varys gets my vote for most butchered character. He’s just some guy now apparently. He feels VERY strongly about fiscal responsibility/

I tried really, really had last night to think “what if this wasn’t a horrible adaptation, does this story make sense independently” and so far.... I think it’s meh. It’s not Star Wars Prequel bad, but it’s not “good”. And I definitely think the show it’s self is getting worse, more reliant on cliches, and more concerned with meeting expectations (shocks and tits, essentially) than anything else.

MessWorm :lmao:

she was gorgeous in the bedroom. I think the problem isn't the wig but emilia's natural black eyebrows, which kind of kill the illusion as they aren't blond

I liked it in season 1 when they lighten her eyebrows, they should consider doing it again, especially as we get closer to winter and the atmosphere gets more washed out, a la North.

I thought it was Dany lets her hair down bed head. It doesn't compare to the bad of Bran's little lord fauntleroy wig from last year.

Am I a homophobe if I think there's to many gay scenes?

Not sure why you have to ask ...

There's more gay scenes then titties at this point.

.... okay yeah, this would point to yes.

The scene is awkward alright but not because it cuts into titties time. :rolleyes:

Varys's speech caused me physical pain. He and Illyrio met in a "Robert sucks" fanclub?

I've been in every meeting and I can confirm they were never there.

Am I a homophobe if I think there's to many gay scenes? I mean I get it Oberyn and loras are gay. I feel like at this point it's just awkward. There's more gay scenes then titties at this point.

Oberyn was never gay. Or bisexual. The comments about him having sex with men are more like bashing. "Oh, that guy is so perverted that he even has sex with boys!" (notice they mention boys, not men). We did see him going to a brothel and he chose a woman to bed (Chataya's girl).

Say whatever you all want to say, but that's the foundation of fanfiction. Fanfiction often takes one single line or reference and make a whole universe around it, without context or development. I've always defended the fact the show is not ff, but it felt like it last night. That feeling won't get out of my head, doesn't matter how many times GRRM and everybody else says is not fanfiction. It's licen$ed fanfiction to me :dunno: I could barely recognise some characters.

All the characterization changes were for the worse, even with the bad story changes, if the characters had been the same, it would have helped. Jaime has lost all his personality and spark. Fansa (Fake Sansa) is a completely different character. Those are the two worst. I thought it was really boring, I was doing other things and barely looked over at the television. The only part I liked was Dany and Daario.

If I'd never seen the show before, the only reason I'd watch again would be Dany and her story.

All the characterization changes were for the worse, even with the bad story changes, if the characters had been the same, it would have helped. Jaime has lost all his personality and spark. Fansa (Fake Sansa) is a completely different character. Those are the two worst. I thought it was really boring, I was doing other things and barely looked over at the television. The only part I liked was Dany and Daario.

Yeah, Jamie has gone from a TV favorite, to ? Cersei's whipping boy, a whiner, who is dumber than his sister. And Brienne, gods be good, such a bitch to Pod for no reason at all. Sad.

Dany and Daario were good, the unsullied getting killed was good, Tyrion and Varys were good, assuming we forget about Varys from previous seasons being anti dragon and sending assassins after Dany, LOL.

Marg? WTF. What was the need to make her, too, super rude? She can't counsel her brother outside of the hearing of the boy whore? Um, okay, I guess those QOT lessons didn't really take.

Oh, another point that's bothered me since season 3: why make Missandei older if they were going to make her half as intelligent as her 10 year old book counterpart? She makes more sense than any of Dany's advisers in ADwD, and yet show!Missandei kind of just stands around doing nothing. It's a waste of an interesting character and a good actress.

Oberyn was never gay. Or bisexual. The comments about him having sex with men are more like bashing. "Oh, that guy is so perverted that he even has sex with boys!" (notice they mention boys, not men). We did see him going to a brothel and he chose a woman to bed (Chataya's girl).

Say whatever you all want to say, but that's the foundation of fanfiction. Fanfiction often takes one single line or reference and make a whole universe around it, without context or development. I've always defended the fact the show is not ff, but it felt like it last night. That feeling won't get out of my head, doesn't matter how many times GRRM and everybody else says is not fanfiction. It's licen$ed fanfiction to me :dunno: I could barely recognise some characters.

Oberyn is almost definitely bisexual in the books. Most of it is intended as slander, yes, but there are also rumours that Oberyn has had relationships with men - including Daemon Sand, who was his squire. From a narrative perspective, there's no point including these rumours if they don't mean anything.

Oh, another point that's bothered me since season 3: why make Missandei older if they were going to make her half as intelligent as her 10 year old book counterpart? She makes more sense than any of Dany's advisers in ADwD, and yet show!Missandei kind of just stands around doing nothing. It's a waste of an interesting character and a good actress.

Oberyn is almost definitely bisexual in the books. Most of it is intended as slander, yes, but there are also rumours that Oberyn has had relationships with men - including Daemon Sand, who was his squire. From a narrative perspective, there's no point including these rumours if they don't mean anything.

yeah, I loved that they aged her up, I didn't need yet another super genius child, but they've done nothing with her and they're running out of time if they're going to do anything with the Grey Worm thing, which they're spending a fair amount of time on setting up.....

Yeah, Jamie has gone from a TV favorite, to ? Cersei's whipping boy, a whiner, who is dumber than his sister. And Brienne, gods be good, such a bitch to Pod for no reason at all. Sad.

Dany and Daario were good, the unsullied getting killed was good, Tyrion and Varys were good, assuming we forget about Varys from previous seasons being anti dragon and sending assassins after Dany, LOL.

Brienne, I forgot. Still in Rude Thug Brienne mode. Not a trace of the character I like in the books.

I didn't even watch the Tyrion parts, they turned me off so much with the Saint Tyrion stuff, I just can't.

Favourite line in the episode was Cersei saying "You're a man of action, aren't you? When it occurs to you to do something you do it" to Jaime. A crucial line for the general audience. You can't expect everyone to pick up on four seasons' worth of characterization without a bit of help.

So Cersei's hair was orange, much like Tyrion's and Mel's hair was nearly black as was her attire. Did it look this way to everyone else?

Wish that was my only complaint but wow, they have really butchered so much. But poor Varys and Loras. Even Lancel is not right.

If they are cutting Varys and the Blackfyre story who will kill Kevin? And why is he backing Dany - he wanted her killed in season 1 right?

What a mess. Looks like the reviews of the leaked episodes aren't good either. I dunno. I'm usually pretty forgiving of the show but this first episode was more than I can overlook.

Archived